1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Moon and Saturn with my new camera

Discussion in 'Astronomy & Astrophotography' started by Skywatcher, May 4, 2009.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

2. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

chris have you got any further on from the pix from the other week?
  3. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

No the ones I posted are the best I'm going to get from those films - TBH Saturn is way past its best at the moment and it was more an exercise in trying to get the camera to 1. connect to the computer and save the files where I wanted and 2. upload properly into the procssing software.

The atmospheric conditions were not fabuous either and there were taken through high cloud so they were never going to be what I was going to be 100% happy with but I am learning all the time and it is a steep old learning curve.

Noone has been able to take truely stunning pics of Saturn this year as it is low in the sky and therefore subject to a lot of turbulence in the atmosphere, that and the fact it is dim as the rings are edge on.

I am hoping , really hoping for some really , really good Jupiter pictures later in the year and possibly some lunar and solar stuff from this particular camera before then.

As I said its not a poit and shoot jobbie and looks liek it has been cobbled together in a a lab so its not a case of click - there is an excellent photo

The last Saturn one will be the last one I take this year and is coparable with what most guys are getting - at least it is a document of nearly closed rings.

Effectively the camera takes films in RAW mode and trying to get that to look nice and proper ain't the easiest of jobs but as you can see it does give me images a LOT further in than I have gone before
  4. ukwdwnut

cool thanks for that chris.....i know i speak for everyone on the site who is interested....all the pix you have taken so far are totally amazing and thx for sharing them, doesnt matter if they are planets or stars , whatever they are truly awesome.

wish i had some money to start getting into this...first a decentish scope me thinks :) birthday coming up soon too :fingers:
  5. Skywatcher

Well thats very kind of you Mick thanks
  6. ukwdwnut

your welcome me ol mukker....looking forward to the rest in the future :)

i will have to tap you for some info on a decentish scope, is there one for star and planetary gazing that would do the job, that could also have a 400d attached to?
  7. Skywatcher

As I am now able to do things frmo a modding perspective I think I shall get my house in order and start a new thread witha few stickies
  8. ukwdwnut

cook go for it my son lol