1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

more tipping questions

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by AKLnut, Feb 25, 2009.

1. AKLnut

AKLnut Imagineer

I know we've chatted about this but Im still a bit confused about it

Friends have just come back and showed me that in the payment wallet left on the table at the disney buffets it still suggests a tip of 15-20%

I thought it was supposed to be 10% for buffets?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It's supposed to be whatever you please!!! 10% is the amount that the server is taxed on any table that they have served. It's determined by the IRS and non-negotiable. So, if the server doesn't receive at least 10% they are technically losing money.

People tend to tip less than the full service "standard" for buffets as they are seen as less service.

The "standard" tipping amount has been creeping up to 18-20% for table service. That would make the buffet amount creep upwards too.

I usually tip the same amount at a buffet as at a full service (but remember, we only do a couple of Disney buffets) because the servers seem to work harder in my opinion!

Tipping really is getting out of hand as far as I'm concerned.

Tip what you feel the service is worth, but keep in mind the 10% bit. :yes:

3. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Tipping is entirely at your discretion. Disney will list the 18% and 20% amounts so people won't have to do math. However, if you feel that the service doesn't warrant that amount, then don't pay it!

However, if you are using the the Tables in Wonderland discount or have a party over 6, Disney will add that 18% right on.

Tipping has gotten out of hand in this country :sorry: