1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Much to do a port orleans?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by MonorailMick, May 3, 2010.

1. MonorailMick

MonorailMick Earning my ears

Hello,

Is it true that port orleans is more for older people and all stars is better for younger? we're reading that its very quiet and peaceful which is usually code for boring :lol:

Is there anything to do there at the resort?
  2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Well... color me boring! :taunt:

I don't know that I'd totally agree with the description but I suppose basically it's correct. Port Orleans (both Riverside and French Quarter) are relatively quiet compared to the All Stars or Pop Century.

However, I certainly wouldn't call it boring. There's plenty enough to do. There's 6 pools, the arcade, and a marvelous little lounge/bar with wonderful entertainment at night (Yehaa Bob). Additionally, there's fishing, watercraft rentals, a playground for kids and boat transportation to Downtown Disney. Oh, and a full service sit down restaurant.

BTW, there is no lounge/bar or entertainment at the All Stars or Pop Century. Nor is there anything other than the food court. No sit down restaurant. So score one for Port Orleans. Or is that two? :thumbsup:

To each their own but I find Port Orleans quite delightful. It's our favorite resort! :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... boring? me?)
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

We usually split our visits and do two, or even three, resorts. Port Orleans is usually one of them :yes:

As Tom says, Port Orleans Riverside has a sit down restaurant which isn't half bad and can be very useful when you get back after a long park day. Port Orleans French Quarter doesn't have a restaurant but you can get to the POR one with a short walk/boat trip. POFQ also has a bar called the scatcats lounge where a jazz player called Elliot Dyson plays Elliot Dyson, saxophone, vocalist He's a little more chilled than the piano bob side :D

The boat ride from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney is great too. The boat captains are always giving great info, chatting away and it's a relaxing journey.

To be perfectly honest, once you get beyond the bright decorations of the values, there's less to do there than there is at Port Orleans! It doesnt matter of course since most people wont stay around the resorts anyway :)
  4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yes, I'd have to agree with that. The values are bright, colorful, and manic. :D There are pools of course, and pool side bars, but that really is it.

The moderates offer other recreational things to do, and I can't say as I'd find PO too quiet. My brother and his family stayed there and the place was hopping! :eek:
  5. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: Riverside is a little more boistrous than FQ, but Pop does have a pool side bar, the rest of the values do not.
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There used to be pool side bars at the All Stars. Haven't been there in years though. Do they no longer have them there? I had the BEST margarita on the rocks from the All Star Sports pool bar...
  7. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Mick: The resorts are only as boring as you make them! I've stayed at Riverside twice. I think there is A LOT for families to do! At Riverside there is a clown piano entertainer, fishing, swimming pools, walking/jogging trails, boat & bike rental, an arcade...I think it was the nicest moderate I've stayed at and definitely worth a try!
  8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Unless they have recently closed them all of the All Star Resorts have a pool bar. I too favor the one at All Star Sports Tink.