1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

mumof2: How to make handmade cards?

Discussion in 'Arts, Crafts & Scrapbooking' started by disneymom, Jan 19, 2010.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Ive just been looking over your beautiful cards and thinking I could perhaps learn how to do it?

I'm a complete and total beginner so be gentle with me :yes: but do you have any help on how to get started?

I've truly not seen nicer cards than yours anywhere, I'm really inspired :hug2:

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Doesn't she do beautiful work, our Mairead? They truly are the most beautiful cards!!!

I know she'll come along and share some of her tips when she sees this. :yes: Wish I were talented in that way!

OOOOOO! Maybe we could have a thread, "Mumof2's Card School!" :D :D

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

We have a few talented card makers on these forums. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions shortly. :thumbsup:

4. Tink

You do some pretty work yourself, Dawn. :yes:

5. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Not any more. No time now. :sigh:

6. Tink

Well, you'll have time again one day. :yes:

I still have my faerie card. :yes: :D

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I know that both Donna and slowhand's DW have a machine called a Cricut. Donna has software called Design Studio plus she has loads of stuff she uses to make her cardss.

8. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

oh bless you, that's a lovely thing to say but i must admit i am always unsure of mine and think they aren't as good as others....Donna makes fabulous cards :yes:

I found this website for you to look at, it seems quite informative and if you check out the 'getting started' and 'essentials' sections you'll have some idea of where to start!

I have picked up an awful lots of tips and ideas online, there are various websites where you can download free papers (all the info i have on those are on my favourites list on my other laptop which i cannot access the internet on since we went wireless!) search for 'free backing papers' or similar.

I watch the 'Create and Craft' channel (671 on sky) to pick up ideas too, write them down and record programmes if you can. BEWARE, you may spend lots of money if you watch it!

Another thing to do is visit a local craft shop, usually the staff in those shops are more than pleased to give help and advice as are other crafters!

I think the first things you'll need are:

Self healing cutting mat, A4 size
    Craft Knife
    Double sided tape
    Sticky pads
    A4 card or card blanks (also known as card stock)
    Backing papers, these are any pretty, shiny, textured papers that can be used to make the card front more interesting.
    Gold and Silver card, also called mirror or mirri card
    Embellishments/Toppers - buy ready made to stick on or find artwork online.
    Sheets of Peel Offs - you can get a huge assortment of these from simple 'happy birthday' to elaborate pictures. They are very useful.

Start with something simple then you'll naturally move on as you become more confident.....let your imagination run wild!

feathers, beads, gems, ribbons.....whatever takes your fancy! You'll also find yourself looking at packing of all types in a different way.....nothing is unusable!

I have saved various things, those little ribbons you sometimes get in your clothing to help hold in on the clothes hanger then keeps popping out to say hello when you're wearing the item? cut them out and use to decorate your cards!

simple step by step instructions.....

take a piece of A4 card and fold in half to make an A5 card.

cover front with a piece of gold/silver or other coloured paper or card that has been cut slightly smaller than your card blank.

Do the same with another piece of card/paper that compliments the colours you are using on your card.

You can do this as many times as you like to tie in colours and add interest, this is called 'matting and layering'

Add a card topper, this can be a simple picture of...a flower, a dog, cat, whatever!

If you wish to you can add a ribbon tied in a bow. Add a sentiment using your peel offs.

Place an insert inside the card by folding a piece of paper to fit and slotting it into place.

Once it is in the correct postion apply a piece of double sided tape the the inside front near the crease then fold the card to make the insert stick to the tape.....does that make sense?

Voila! all done and now you just need to write in the card! :thumbsup:

There are some useful sites on this thread, http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/arts-crafts-scrapbooking/2239-useful-craft-websites-2.html

and if i can remember the ones I have saved on my other laptop i will post them for you.

Hope i haven't confused you, i tend to do that to people when i try to explain things! :sorry:

9. Tink

Mairead, you explained that very well. You almost (note the almost) have me convinced that I could give it a try... :unsure:

10. mumof2

oh do Tink! It can be very therapeutic...:yes:

11. Tink

Well, I think I might be ok at writing verses in them, but since I failed paper folding in kindergarten, the whole creation of the card is beyond me. :(

I can do calligraphy though! :D LOL.

12. mumof2

Failed paperfolding.....:unsure:

Calligraphy is an absolute art. :thumbsup: Wish i could do it!