1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

'Must See' states

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by josh.p., Jan 2, 2011.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Where are your 'Must See' states?

I finish working for Disney on the 19th of August but I don't go home until the 3rd of September so I have quite a few days to travel! :thumbsup:

I am going to spend quite a while in New York and I fly home from there. So give or take a day or two I want to stay there for 5 days.

If you could go anywhere in America, where would you go?
  2. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

the carolinas and hawaii are two that spring to mind
  3. josh.p.

My visa doesn't extend for travel to Hawaii :shrug: :sigh:
  4. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

Every state has something to offer, but the north eastern states are quite beautiful - especially in the fall.
  5. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Wow, as Donna said, every state has something nice to see. I don't think I could pick just one state.

How about a specific thing like the Grand Canyon?
  6. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

guess you cant go there then :)
  7. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

For me though, I would spend sometime in the northeast (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire).
  8. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

From Florida?

New Orleans, no contest. You can Amtrak from Orlando overnight to New Orleans. I know a brilliantly placed cheap hotel too if you're interested.
  9. josh.p.

We have been discussing this on the international program group and we have all said New Orleans would be great to travel to :yes: The name of the hotel would be great please Dawn!

We're either going to be travelling up from Miami or Orlando so it sounds great :yes: All these suggestions sound great and I'm going to look into each of them to see what things I'd like to see. I really have no idea where anything is in America :rotfl:
  10. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Washington DC? I went there a good while ago and it is amazing place to visit at least once...
  11. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

so so hard because there are just so many amazing places

new orleans for sure, Vermont, New Hampshire yep, Washington DC I think is strangely overlooked by UKers often but it's a rather wonderful place with a very special feel to it.
  12. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

South Carolina, beautiful
  13. josh.p.

Funny you should say that because there are good savings to be had if you fly to Washington, spend a day and then get an overnight amtrak train into Manhattan :thumbsup:
  14. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I remember flying to washington on business, spending the most AWFUL week in this hotel with the most boring company reps I'd ever met. Long business table kinda thing with 30 people round it all going blah blah blah PROCESS blah blah blah. I remember looking at a big jug with tea on it and thinking YAYAYA wake me up, poured a load, took a drink and EERUGUGUGH Ice tea :( Just wasn't my week. Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner, I don't blame you mr Hotel, but it wasn't a good week :lol:

Anyway, when I got out, I found there was a totally AWESOME mall at Tysons corner which I loved, though I realise that's not what you have in mind :lol: From there I discovered the delights of the Air and Space Museum, the national art gallery, the white house and so on.

Even stopped by the FBI and went on the BEST tour ever. They even fired different guns including a machine gun to demo some things to us. No idea if they still do this kind of thing but it opened my eyes to the work they did! Amazing how they had the exact chemical composition of every car paint colour etc. so they could match it to crime scenes.

I could go on but I'll try not to :lol: just to say, I've heard people at work say oh no point going to Washington and I think they're exactly 100% wrong :lol:

(oh the other thing I meant to say.. the place has an air of grand importance about it. Whereas I felt hustle/bustle sorta dragged along by the crowd in new york, which is itself mind blowingly wonderful, in Washington I was walking around on what I felt were large pavements, huge buildings but not that many people. It felt more spaced out somehow. No one walked into me, I was taking photos of all the buildings, people and having a great time (of course taking a photo of the FBI building would probably get us locked up now but still))
  15. josh.p.

You should totally work for the Washington tourist board as you have sold it to me!
  16. wdwgrandma

One thing to note, however, about Tyson's Corner is that some major construction is going on in that area right now. It is a mess. They are extending the Metro out to Dulles Airport and it goes right through the Tyson's area.

DC has a very nice zoo, Arlington National Cemetery, American History Museum, Natural History Museum, National Museum of the American Indian, the Old Post Office, the Newseum, the US Capitol, the Washington Monument, and don't forget all the wonderful memorials that dot the area. You could spend a month in DC and never see it all.

DC also boasts some wonderful theaters: Kennedy Center, Arena Stage, National Theater, Warner Theater, and Ford's Theater, to name a few.

Fine dining abounds. Choose a cuisine and DC probably has it!
  17. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Between the National Mall building and the Udvar-Hazy center up by Dulles, I could spend a month at the National Air and Space museum and not see it all! :airplane:

Just wish the Paul E. Garber facility was still open for public tours. Oh well, eventually they'll get all that moved to Udvar-Hazy and then it'll be open to the public again.

Tom :)macwave:... crazy for someone who doesn't fly anymore!)
  18. wdwgrandma

If you have transportation in the DC area, just south of our home is a wonderful Marine Corps Museum. Not too far out of DC going south is Mount Vernon, home of George Washington. Head north out of DC and Baltimore is a decent drive with lots to see. I especially love the Inner Harbor area with the wonderful National Aquarium - but the train museum is also great!
  19. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Josh there is so much to see and do in the immediate Washington D.C. area that you could easily spend a week there and still not see it all. Yes, I would definitely consider New Orleans on the way. Boston is also fantastic.
  20. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Oh... the B&O Museum! :yes: My grandfather was an engineer for the B&O! :happydance:

Tom :)macwave:... whole of dad's family is from up around there!)