1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

My fave risotto recipe

Discussion in 'Other Recipes' started by josh.p., Jun 24, 2010.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Risotto is one of my favourite things to cook, I've done a few different recipes over the last few months but I've recently made the switch to vegan, and this is the first vegan one I've done, and I have to say it's been my favourite :yes:

Ingredients;
    2pts hot vegetable stock
    Tsp of parsley
    Tsp of oregano
    Glug of olive oil
    3 tbs vegan margarine (obviously if you're not a vegan you can use butter or ordinary margarine)
    Onion, finely diced
    1 diced sweet potato (You can add additional vegetables but I just prefer sweet potato)
    Aroborio (risotto) rice

Method;

1.) Make up 2 pints of vegetable stock, add the herbs (these give extra flavour to make up for the lack of wine in the non-vegan version) and heat on the hob so that it is hot.
    2.) Heat the olive oil in a pan, and add the diced onion and fry for about 2 mins. Add a table spoon of the vegan margarine before adding the diced sweet potato and continue to fry for 3-4 minutes.
    3.) Add the rice and fry for about 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon of the margarine until it coats the rice
    4.) Add 1 ladle of hot stock and continue to stir the rice until the stock is absorbed. (Make sure that you keep the stock heating over the hob and boiling hot throughout the cooking so that it doesn't cool the temperature of the rice when it's added.)
    5.) Keep adding the hot stock 1 ladle at a time until it is absorbed and then add the next ladle.
    6.) If you have used all 2pts of stock, the risotto should be cooked, however if it is slightly under-done, then add a ladel of boiling hot water or two.
    7.) Take the risotto off the heat, add in another tablespoon of the margarine and cover the risotto to allow it to 'settle' for about 10 minutes.

I find this method works the best and the vegan one is the best one I've ever made. Sweet potato makes a lovely risotto but Chicken or mushroom would make a nice risotto too (obviously chicken wouldn't be suitable for vegans/vegetarians)

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Thanks Hun, will try this out adding wine lol. Were really in to risottos at the moment. Artichoke/lemon is mt fave at the moment

3. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I've not tried doing artichoke and lemon before.. might give it a go :yes:

4. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Sounds yummy Josh, will have to try it!

5. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

oooh thanks Josh! :thumbsup:

6. warduria

warduria Earning my ears

Thanks