1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

My first cruise

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Britchick, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Ps I thought we were moving but it's the clouds! Lol

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

:lol: :lol: It looks lovely, you are going to have a great time :yes:

Glad to hear you have your feet up enjoying the sun :D

3. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

It looks amazing! Can wait to hear what you thought!

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

[​IMG]

We had some photos taken in formal attire and this is the one we chose. A bit blurry as its a photo of a photo. I don't have any of my full dress which is a shame

5. Wendy

It's lovely :)

All the photos are one of the things that puts Chris off a cruise - it's just another excuse to add to his list I think.

Did you both enjoy the cruise, would you go for a longer one now?

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The photos are all optional Wendy. But I'm sure you'll want a few, if for no other reason, but rememberance.

7. Wendy

I know, but he prefers to take them rather than be in them :lol:

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we just said we didn't want any more photos and they were fine. Will never moan about cost of disney photography again though. $25 per photo. They aren't even that good, most of them had my dress strap looking weird otherwise would have had a nicer one of us both. Also just looks like they ran portraiture over the photos but did it too softly. You can hide a multitude of photography sins under that!

Jury is still out on the cruise thing. Food was good but not excellent, no fruit carvings in the buffet, buffet disappointing for lunch- i would have liked a better range of salads. Only meet for salad was some cheapish looking ham and slices of processed looking cheese. Main dining room was nice- first night was formal and had lobster and prawns- excellent server from India- very experienced and one of the best waiters we've ever had. There is an italian that serves mainly pizzas and that was good- proper italian ones without huge piles of greasy cheese!

State room was lovely, bed had pillow top mattress and bedding divine, in fact i'm trying to find out where they got it from as would like it at home. The ship is absolutely stunning and clean and brand new!

Service was brilliant throughout the ship- waiters arrived within 2 minutes of you sitting down and offered but not pushy and you never thought you had to buy a drink. Drink prices better than i thought. $7 for cocktail and $4 for mocktail. Cookies gooood!

Entertainment was better than i thought in the evening apart from main show which was a bit cheesy. We had a singer that had sung in the rat pack as Frank Sinatra and he was really good, some acrobats and a hilarious ventroliquist. Entertainment in the day is a bit cheesy..unfortunately due to bad weather we weren't able to tender to Guernsey and the weather wasn't too good. I had won $80 on the slots the night before though so i spent this in the shop on Estee Lauder products. The prices were dollars for pounds on this so a very good deal too. Alcohol in the duty free was good price too.

Jon and i both felt a little queasy on Saturday lunch time -not sick as we'd both taken tablets but just not right. So we went and relaxed in our cabin for a while in the afternoon as it was too cold to be outside and the other entertainment didn't interest us. They have a great TV with on demand movies- most of them currently out on DVD- we watched Django unchained and really liked it. I'm having a bit of trouble with my balance since getting off the boat - today seems a little better so i'll see how it goes.

Major disappointment with embarkation procedure. We were there in very good time but it took us 2 and half hours to get on the shift, by which time we were starving and thirsty. Was not a very good start to a luxury getaway- i'm trying to convince Jon this is a stress free holiday and then that. Might as well fly. There were only about 2000 on this ship!

So we enjoyed aspects of it. Beautiful cabin, good food, reasonable entertainment, We could get bored though i think if we had too many sea days. We're thinking of trying a Norwegian cruise at some point as lots to see even from balcony.

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Sounds like the typical cruise! :yes: So nice to have a comfortable bed, though. On one of our cruise's (NCL's Spirit) the beds were truly rock hard. Not a good night's sleep on that one! :lol:

So, more photos please. :D

Wendy, you know how much I hate my photo taken. When we are on a cruise, we simply say, "no thank you" and walk on by, or send the photographer off to the next table. We did have photos taken on one cruise and they came out decently so we bought a few, but we don't need any more than that. :lol:

It's too bad you couldn't tender to the island, Brit. That's half the fun!

Thanks for sharing your holiday with us. :yes:

10. Beccaberry

Excellent report! And I second the request for more photos!

LOL, we watched Django Unchained this weekend as well :) I know what you mean by "just not right", I had an afternoon like that on my first cruise as well - quickly sorted after a nap, but it was just a general feeling of unease and lethargy. I remember one evening when the entertainment didn't interest us, we spent the whole night in our room ordering complimentary room service and watching movies! One of our favorite evenings!

It sounds like (given some of the negatives your mentioned) perhaps the ship you were on may still be trying to find its "sea legs". Wonder how they will have improved/changed in six months time?

By the way...LOVELY photo of you two, I love the color of your dress!

11. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i may have acquired a cruise brochure ...looking at a week around the Norweigan fjords next August... quite a good price too. Now to work on Jon. I just sent him a text saying that i'd received a brochure and lots of nice cruises inside....let the campaign begin :lol:

12. Wendy

Oh you are naughty :lol:

13. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

you wouldn't have me any other way :wink:

14. Wendy

True :D

15. Beccaberry

Shall we all make calm swishing noises and sway from side to side? Would that help?

16. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

I'm going to lure him with the menus and the wine package I think lol

17. Beccaberry

Well yes, that sounds much more sensible...wine trumps water EVERY TIME!