1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

My Right Foot Trip Report.....Days 6, 7 and 8

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Ursula, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Day 6;
    Today we decided to take the free Hotel shuttle bus to Cancun and visit WalMarts... yep I know... of all the things to do we go and visit Wallys... We wanted to get some bits that we can't get back home and this visit today was purely for that... oh and we wanted to get some nice beach towels saying Mexico and Cancun on them and some gifts.
    Cancun is the higher end of Hotels and they are pretty ritzy, they have the shoreline completely covered and it's here that the turquoise seas are. Obviously you have to pay more for this. This is also where you see Bubba Gumps, Senor frogs, Jimmy Buffets, Chili's, Planet Hollywood etc and we spotted a Chris Ruths steakhouse..... now Mexican beef is not like USA beef, depending on who cooks it it can range from tasty and tender to rangy and stringy to tough like leather, so we spied this restaurant and decided to come back one night and have a meal here because it was advertising USD beef. Don't get me wrong... we'd had some tasty steaks at the hotel but they have to be super thin to be tender so anyways... number duly noted.
    It was gorgeous seeing the palm trees everywhere with coconuts on and sometimes you would see Mexican workmen lying on the pavements sleeping! It was 10am! It's not siesta time yet!

We got a cab from Cancun to WalMarts and it was surreal, everything looked the same but it was all in Spanish! Some things we couldn't get as they had different things to the American stores but we got most of it and managed to pick up three gorgeous beach towels that came to £5 each in English money... it was all super cheap here! Now the downside of flying with First Choice is that the luggage allowance was only 23kgs even flying premier class didn't alter that fact :( tight sods. But I had heard that if you were abit over they didn't always charge you... so here's hoping.

Really miss that 40kgs TCD allow.......

After a few hours in WalMarts we got a cab all the way back to the Hotel as the free shuttle bus wasn't picking up for another hour. We'd missed lunch but could have gone to the pool snack bar for food but quite honestly none of us is hungry. lol... We went to the beach and watched as a wedding gazebo was being set up and tables were set up for a wedding later on. DH and I pondered about whether we wanted to become internet *celebrities* like on youtube. We thought we might strip off and jog nekkid past the gazebo just as they say their wedding vows!:shocked025: and just to make sure they got us on video we should jog back again....

We have met several nice families here and we all stop and chat when we bump into each other.. Janet is giving me her book that she's just finished, they're off sightseeing but unfortunately we can't do those things this year so we plan to come back to do stuff.

We went to bed earlyish again.. I caught My Right Foot writing something but wasn't quick enough to see what it was... The mozzie bite count so far is 22 Grrrrrr! I can't ever see those little blighters but they're getting me.:(

Day 7;
    I plan to just have fruit for breakfast today... have to slow down the eating or I won't be getting on the plane back if I carry on like this. I feel very virtuous sitting there with my melon and grapes and mandarines while everyone else tucks in to all the cooked goodies and pastries, but really it's no hardship as the fruit is gorgeous.
    Just swam and watched a little romance blossom between DD and the pool boy... he is very shy and very sweet and humble, he keeps looking at DD, he can't take his eyes off her and keeps smiling shyly at her.. oh oh.. she's clocked him too...., she dons her snorkel and goes to see what he's saying to her... he's calling her over.. I see them heads bowed together looking at something and they are talking. He is 18 the same age as her but he doesn't seem like he's been around the block or anything... he's very shy. I am casually watching things while I swim like a protective lioness... but all seems ok. He has work to do but their eyes keep meeting shyly... aw it's sooooo sweet...

We have to go for lunch and we visit the gift shop here to get some ear drops.. I have a sore inner ear :( We just have self made baguettes for lunch.. there is so much food but the french sticks are baked fresh every day and they smell so good... I just want salad and ham in mine. Then literally we go back to swim, read our books and chat to peeps. Steve comes round the pool to chat... we give him our beers from our mini bar because we won't be drinking them, he is badly sunburned. That's one thing you have to do here and that is wear factor 50 or face the consequences.
    Again after swimming it was back to the room to shower and change for dinner then after dinner we went to the pool bar to get drinks from the other side, the pool lights were lit up and they changed colours it was very nice to look at.. I had to drink Blue lagoons and Mai Tai's, I am also wearing my favourite cologne of this holiday we have called it Eau de deet. It doesn't drive my Hubby crazy though :( I just dare not wear anything else all my perfumes have been put away. Off to the room to chill now. Night night.

Day 8;
    Today was abit of a washout... we could see the storm coming in from the sea. The morning was nice and sunny but it soon became cloudy around lunchtime we just made it to lunch when the heavens opened, and it was a doozie. We couldn't do anything except spend the rest of the day in Mikes Bar Cafe sipping coffee mocha's cappuchinos and cafe latte's... anything you wanted really, and chatting to interesting people... DH had a doughnut and so did DD I had a slice of cake.
    Tonight we thought we would have dinner at the sports bar... here they have pool tables air hockey and big screens showing sports. They do milkshakes here and burgers as well as steaks. All good... we rolled back to our room and slumped into our beds after a coffee.. I think someone has been in my bed and on my pillow I can see a foot print on my pillow....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

*coughs* Dawn?

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

You called? :D

Attached Files:

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Attached Files:

5. Dawn