My trip report - Mandara Spa Swan & Dolphin

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Reports and Itineraries' started by Oreo, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

As you know the biggest decision for me this trip was whether to use the Spa while on holiday.

Well we did.... twice. (sorry there are no pictures in this report to save my dignity ;) ).

The first was booked in for the first Friday (which was around half way through the holiday). I was booked in for an 80min Sweedish massage and Jess was booked in for a facial.

We booked a taxi and arrived at the Dolphin hotel. It was a very busy hotel and straight away thought we'd picked the wrong spa.

We struggled to find it at first but after asking several times we found it in a quiet corner of the hotel.

We arrived at the desk to check in. We were given a form to sign each and was shown around the spa. We were then directed to our correct changing rooms and asked to change into a robe and slippers. We met the other side and sat in their waiting area and had a cup of tea. It did feel strange sitting in a room with other people in robes, but we wasn't there long.

We were both called into our seperate rooms by our seperate 'technicians'. Jess ended up with a lovely lady, I ended up with a big bloke called Bill.

Now Bill was the nicest person you could meet, but he hurt me! Lol He was just too hard. I did ask him to ease up but he didn't too much. To be honest I didn't relax too much but I did feel better afterwards. I was also full of cold as we had had the air conditioning on too low the night before. So it was just a combination of things that meant I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have.

I met Jess in the temple, which is a relaxation room where you can just look out over the hotel and in this distance is tower of terror. It was lovely.

Afterwards they supplied all the stuff I needed to get ready like shampoo etc and it was just a nice way to spend a morning.

We were given some 40% off vouchers which I didn't think we'd use.

However, the Friday before we left we decided to go again. I had just had a row with my brother and decided I needed some time away. So it fitted perfectly.

They could only fit me in for 50 mins which was a shame, as this time I really did relax. They put me with this lovely woman (who was very talkative, which isn't a good match with me as i'll chat with anyone about anything lol). She just did things a little bit different, like she placed a warm towel on my feet before she started, she warmed up the bed and also warmed up the cream/lotion. I suppose a woman's touch (if you get what I mean lol), the little things men wouldn't think of.

The second time we went, we drove and had to make use of the valet parking as there was no self parking available (convenient at $26 a car) however the Spa kindly validated it for us.

I really enjoyed my 'own' time. I also struggle to relax and sleep and found the nights after the treatment I slept better and I think the sessions helped. I am tempted to find a place locally to go to on a monthly basis just for a bit relaxation.

(I seem to be finding my femanine side recently don't I? lol)

2. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    I'm glad that you like spa and massage. I do like session in spa occasionally. It does relax Mr but the hot stone massages doesn't seems to relax me at all. Reflexology is my favorite massage. Usually I fall asleep after few minutes which is a great shame as would like to experience the whole thing!!

3. Britchick

Britchick Well-Known Member

don't ever have a thai massage! lol I made that mistake in Thailand and thought i was going to die. I felt drugged up afterwards though and soooo relaxed. Do you remember how much the treatment was before the discount?

4. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

The facial was $160 and the massage was $190 for 80 mins or $130 for 50 mins, I think! It wasn't the cheapest by any stretch but didn't want to venture into the unknowns of Orlando and end up in a back street massage place lol.

5. Britchick

holy moly!! I always found spas quite expensive over there though.

6. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

They automatically add 20% tip as well.

I think the first time came out just over £200 for the two of us. I'm too scared to check my credit card! lol

We were recommended a place in Kissimmee, which is owned by a British lady, however they were booked up as they are a considerablly cheaper than others in the area I believe.

7. Britchick

The thing is though if you enjoy it, go for it!

8. Isafari

Isafari Well-Known Member

Have considered having a massage whilst on holiday loads of times but never booked. Maybe next time....

9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

Sounds like the second massage was definitely more relaxing for you.

Did Jess enjoy her facials?

10. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

There is no reason on earth for a masseuse to hurt you. If you asked for a lighter touch, and did not get one, that's on that person. I don't much care for the added gratuity. I'll do that, thanks. :)

But! I am really pleased that overall you liked the experience. It can be very relaxing, and quite good for you. Should you ever go on a cruise, check out the onboard spas. They are usually quite luxurious and will run specials for port days. :yes:

Thanks for the info on your experience. We've not had anyone review this spa in some time, so it's good to have an update. :yes:

11. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Interestingly enough she enjoyed the second time much more than the first. She didn't hate the first time but she felt that the person she got was a little distracted whereas the second time she felt the person doing it was more involved. She was even told off the second time for not applying sun cream lol.

Jess doesn't like the idea of a full massage (she did get a head and shoulder massage along with a foot massage as part of her facial) but couldn't convince her for a couples massage, however she said that she found it very relaxing but also felt her skin is much better as a result and she will probably go more regular back home to keep that up.

I'll be 100% honest, I think I was a little tense due to the fact it was a man that was doing my treatment. I don't mean that in any disrespectful way, I just think that part of the reason it hurt was because I didn't relax myself. I think that along with not being 100% sure of what was going to happen meant that I was a little on edge the whole time.

As for the tip, I understand both ways really. It does take the awkwardness out of it all but at the sametime it does make the person doing the treatment a little complacent in a way.

Also, once your treatment is over you don't see the person again and everything like that is dealt with out front. I'd be worried that person did not get their tip.

As I've said above there were some differences between the two sessions I had, and while they were only little differences it did make it that little more relaxing.

12. Tink

I think you are a remarkably understanding person. :D Stick with me buddy, I'll teach you to be a grumpy ol' Tink in a heartbeat! ;) :lol:

It's the job of the service professional to ask. "Is this your first?" "What sort of pressure?" " Any areas that I shouldn't touch?" It's the job of the staff to ask prior to your session what gender you wish for your service.

Anyway, it all ended up being a good experience as you did relax, and are willing to try again, eh? :yes:

I keep thinking I need to try some day spas in the area. I like the whole thing (and never thought I would) but it takes much for me to finally make arrangements to get there.

13. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I am kind of understanding, until it comes to myself. Then I just get my head messed up trying to work myself out! lol

They asked me the second time what gender I preferred and did ask for a female. I did think at the time that might have made me sound a little wired asking for a female. He did ask about the pressure but kept it the same despite me saying go easy. As you say though it all worked out in the end.

I think you should do it. You'll be glad once you're there. Have a day to yourself.

I think Jess thinks I'm mad as I have really been going on about how much it relaxed me and how well I slept afterwards.

Jess is away this weekend at a wedding fare (maybe I could treat myself, again). ;)

14. Tink

I think that sounds like a great idea! Find a lovely local place and go check it out. :yes:

15. sarah

sarah New Member

I'm going to Alton towers resort for a few days for my birthday, I'm hoping hubby has booked me in for a little spa treat, I will need it after the smiler!!!

16. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Not done the smiler!

HAve you dropped enough hints? lol

17. sarah

sarah New Member

I'm hoping so I've bored myself I've gone on about it so much :tongue:

18. Tink

Do I know what the smiler is? :unsure:

19. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

It's a really fast ride at Alton Towers Tink, it is famous for have 14 loops!

Why anyone puts themselves through this I don't know :lol:

20. sarah

sarah New Member

I didn't enjoy it much
    But can't wait till I go on it again!!!!