My trip report - My disney experience

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Reports and Itineraries' started by Oreo, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

This is such a big subject area so no doubt I will miss something.

Anyway, following on from checking in at Old Key West we were given our Magic Bands which allowed us to access the majority of what My Disney Experience had to offer.

We had already pre booked our Fastpass Plus and also our ADR's.

We were able to swipe a credit card to each band which meant that we could keep all our spends seperate. This was really useful as there were four of us in the room. It made it that little bit easier.

We found that due to the position of the reciever on the door to our room, we had to perform some strange hand movements to enable it to work. This was our only issue, which was probably more to do with the door than the bands themselves.

The next day we used them to access the park and had no issues at all with getting in. We scanned our band and placed our finger on the scanner and off we went.

We had our first meal (breakfast) and used it to charge to the room. We didn't use our dining plan as we had allocated the points to more expensive meals. It was a little too easy to do. Throughout the rest of the holiday we we charging things to the room and making use of their gift resort delivery. It makes is so easy to spend your money.

In the end I liked fastpass plus. I also liked that we didn't have to fetch a little bit of paper each time. The only downside was remembering the times of the fastpasses each day. As we like to travel light we didn't take a smart phone so on a few occations we had to use the fastpass kiosk to confirm our times.

We did have one issue in Epcot where the cast member (for reasons unknown) deleted all our fastpasses for the day and then tried to claim it was done by someone called Carlos! We watched her cancel them in horror and she could grasp that we got up extra early 60 days ago to book them. Sadly, they were popular ones which we lost. We did have a little moan but we were told that the walk on times were so small it didn't matter.

In regards to fastpass and the band I would have liked to have seen a little LCD screen within the band which was able to be used as a watch but also to show you times of your fastpasses and ADR's, that way you could keep track without the need of checking. Maybe you could access your room balance and also keep tabs on your dining plan credits.

We did find out that you can arrive for your fastpasses 5 mins early or up to 15 mins later than the times you had booked. We found that handy a couple of times.

You can only book an aditional fastpass once all three have been used or expired but we found once they were used there were very rarely any left.

We also linked our memory maker to the band. I loved how it knew where we were for ride photos. No need to queue at the desk to have it added. It was brilliant, and I love the ride videos too! (I will try and get one uploaded if I can).

We did notice that there was a lot less photopass photographers around and did mention it to a cast member, who believes that photopass will be removed in the next few years. I hope this isn't true as one of the advantages of having it is so that you don't have to carry a think in the parks.

They have also added a PIN to the band so if it's lost no one can use it without the PIN.

We didn't find any limited edition bands until the back end of our trip so felt it a little pointless in buying one (even though I was tempted to buy the Haunted Mansion one).

Overall I think Disney have been very clever here, making it really easy to spend money and also very difficult to get offsite without a car. While the Billion dollars quoted seems a lot of money to spend on 'bands' I think they will reep the benifits in years to come as they add different things to the bands.

One thing I will say about the bands however is that the plastic does irritate my skin. I found that buying a cotton sleve for the band helped a lot but did find it affected the performance when entering the parks or using fastpass.

One minor moan, I cannot understand why the MNSSHP tickets could not be added to the band. It wasn't a major issue, but felt that with everything else they could save a bit of money rather than printing on bits of plastic.

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Deleted your FPs! :mental:
    As I said, you are a VERY understanding person! :eek:

3. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Yup, completely gone. For the four of us.

All we wanted was to know the times of them all. We all shouted stop when she hit the cancel button.

I wouldn't have minded but she then made up this whole story about Carlos who was in our booking and that it must have been him who had cancelled them all.

My brother actually said to her 'i watched you do it' to which she replied 'no, no I didn't it was carlos'.

Maybe Carlos is Mickey's evil twin?

4. Tink

Wow. Just wow.
    I'm hoping you mentioned her to Guest Services? Not to be mean, but to be sure she learns how to use the equipment? Sheesh.

Did you get to all the attractions that were deleted?

5. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Fortunately, she only deleted the ones for that day. But we did have a minor panic thinking she had deleted the rest of the trip.

I can't remember what we lost, I think it was Test Track, Mission Space, and one other. Test Track had a 90 min wait and Mission Space was around 20mins. So we missed out on Test Track but we were able to do it another night.

I asked to speak to a senior and she walked us all the way over to innoventions where the lady there gave me one of those looks of 'yeah we've messed up here but there isn't a lot I can do'. In the end we just cut our losses and left as we were worried about her causing more damage.

6. keith

keith Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Home Page:
    wow loving the detail in these reports!!!!!!

Funny you should mention CMs deleting FPs, we had it with ADRs on our last trip. I don't know if theyre used to different back end systems where they could cancel and then reinstate before making it definite or something but there's SOMETHING different causing them to make mistakes.

Ours was a hoop dee doo. We went and tried to get the tickets printed. The CM scanned us to get the ADRs, found them and then couldnt print them on the proper sized tickets. She said to us "oh I'll just print them A4 it'll be fine" but we had that last year and it was far from fine because at the hoop dee doo they demand the little blue tickets and we had a devil of a job convincing them that it was an official reservation printout. As anyone who has ever bought hoop or luau tickets knows, they always fold them in a specific way and tell you not to lose any of it because this is the one and only ticket print out blah blah.

Anyway she got flustered, called a trainer and the trainer was one of those "yes yes I know everything" people who barged her way in front of us to the MDE podium thing and started messing. After a while she called the reservation up clicked cancel and YES YES quickly. I said OMG you've just deleted it?! She said sorry I train on these systems and if I dont know how to use them by now no one does "HAHA" - followed by looking on the system to find it and saying "oh, the system seems to have lost it now, I wonder why it's done that" :doh: She ended up walking away with a rather snotty instruction to the other CM to "rebook them, no harm done". Except there were none of the right time/category available, she couldnt manage to rebook with our tables in wonderland discount and the later you book for hoop the worse your seat is (minimal problem really but still).

Now, that's one thing but if they'd deleted be our guest or something?

The other occasion was when we needed to change a luau to another day.... in the old days, they'd seem to say "ok yes I can move that for you" or "no sorry nothing on that day".... this time, she just deleted the luau from the one we had and then said sorry nothing. I said erm but then we'd want the one you deleted, she said yeah it hasnt been deleted until I rebook.... but then after 10 mins of looking finally admitted that ok yes it DOES delete immediately and it was gone :/

So yeah, MDE nice and everything but scary how quickly things can get lost and when they do, they don't seem to do what I ASSUMED they'd do and make absolutely sure we dont lose out.

7. sarah

sarah New Member

:toetap:OMG!!!!!!

8. Tink

Good grief. What a load of misery. :(

9. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Deleted an element of my meticulous planning?!?!?!

...I'd have gone medieval on her ass! :madflames:

10. Tink

11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Ooh Tony how er forcefull you are :D me likey!

12. Tink

Esme. Over here, Dear. :comfort: Here, let me put this cool cloth on your brow.

13. Deb

Deb Active Member

Interesting read :) I am just getting to grips with MDE and loving it, but this bit of it makes me a bit uneasy! I am hoping that by the time I get there in April everyone will have been fully trained, or they will have changed the system a little!

14. Tink

I honestly cannot imagine what my response would be if a CM canceled any of my pre-made reservations, fast passes, adrs, or whatever. I know I would not be happy. I've reported a few minor incidents in my time, nothing major and for no reason other than to have the CM retrained, or the process looked at. Something like that would see me insisting that I be given some sort of official documentation to show that the "appointment" had been made and would now be honored. Eeesh. Makes me tense just to think about it.