My trip report - Old Key West

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Reports and Itineraries' started by Oreo, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I thought I'd continue with my trip report with the place where we stayed. I managed to take over a 1000 photos yet I could only find four of the resort itself. I suppose it gives me a reason to go back. ;)

We checked in at around 6:30 on Saturdcay 20th September and was greeted by a cheery lady who was really good with us. We went through all the standard stuff in regards to swiping of the credit cards etc.

We were then handed our magic bands. This was one aspect of the trip I was looking forward too, and will write up about in more detail when I do my report on the my disney experience.

We all had received what we ordered and we were asked to each test them once we were at the room to ensure they were working.

We were given block 64 which is right around the corner from hospitality house (exactly what we had requested! Brilliant).

The room was a good size and we found the little kitchen area really useful for breakfast (although we ate out the majority of the time).

We felt at home right away and was a massive difference to our experience at Coronardo Springs two years previous.

I was worried (due to a lot of negative reviews around) that it would be old and dated. But I did not see any evidence of that during our stay.

The pool and slide were very good and we used this most days. We also loved the boat transportation to downtown disney (so glad we could miss the roads around that place!).

The bus transportation was the only downside. Due to the size of the resort it could take up to 30 mins just to get to the bus stop that we wanted. Once we learned the route different buses took, we were able to jump off at different stops to save time.

We only ate at the resturant once (on our last night) and must say how much I enjoyed the food. I would highly recommend the jacket potato and cheese soup!

It has become one of my favourite resorts at Disney and is only ever so behind Wilderness Lodge as my favourite.

It appears it is one of the least popular resports as it wasn't very busy but I could not fault it's facilities nor the staff.

Here are the few photo's I managed to take:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    What didnt you like about Coronado, we stayed at Casitas and were really happy with it.

3. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I think it was a combination of things. Being so far away from the main section, having loud neighbours, the room being a bit 'tired' and I just never felt I was in Disney.

It's not a bad hotel at all, but it just doesn't feel Disney to me to justify the price :)

4. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Knew I had taken a more than 4 photos.

Here are a few more:

The dock where the downtown Disney boats go:
    [​IMG]

A view fom the bridge:
    [​IMG]

The view from the oposite side of the same bridge:
    [​IMG]

5. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ahhhh. All I have to do is look at photos of OKW and I feel better. It's a huge resort and can give the appearance of not being busy when there is quite a group of guests there.

Did you get a chance to walk to DTD along the canal path?

6. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    Lovely photos. We adore CSR and would go back in heart beat. We love walking past the lake especially in the evening where the lights are on and it is so romantic. However AKL stole my heart!

7. Tink

AKL is very lovely too. :yes:

8. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I visited Coronada Springs my first visit to an on site resort enjoyed my stay but preferr P O R

9. robertcraig

robertcraig Well-Known Member

retired
    Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Great pi
    ctures

10. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Nooo! I didn't even know it exisited until now!

Another reason to go back.

The list is quickly building ;)

11. Tink

Awww. :( I'm really sorry I didn't let you know about it. It's a lovely shaded walk. It starts at the back of the resort, and goes along the canal ending at the West Side of DTD, or you can cross over the golfer's bridge (it's allowed) and go through SSR and around to DTD. It's a great way to get a nice walk in. :yes:

12. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

Wow, it was that good then :D

13. Deb

Deb Active Member

We loved OKW when we stayed there. So pretty and peaceful, and lovely surroundings. Like you, the negative was the situation with the busses, very inconsistent, but it seems that people say that about many Disney hotels.

14. Tink

You know, Deb? You make a good point. I know I've commented before on the really crowded conditions of the deluxe resort buses over at BWI/BC/YC. They do the circle and sometimes put all the Swan and Dolphin guests on, too. SRO, and the buses are jammed. People complain about All Stars buses, but the deluxe were no better, and in some cases worse. :eek:

15. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

We were never crowded on the Old Key West buses. The issues we had were the frequency and sometimes no existant buses.

Our first morning we waiting 90 mins for a bus to Magic Kingdom.

I noticed that when I was using their automated ADR line that they were advising guests to leave 90 mins before any booking to ensure you arrive on time.

The transportation does need improving if they want people to stay in the 'bubble'.

16. Deb

Deb Active Member

That is my main concern staying at the YC next year without a car. A couple of times staff at OKW ferried us to ADRs in a van as we had been waiting an unreasonably long time for a bus to MK or Epcot, and I know the YC/BC are reported as being a bit hit and miss. I don't mind waiting 20 mins, but an hour or more is crazy.

17. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Which is why we opted for a car in the end. A few times we drove as a result of no buses.

I think we just about broke even in the end compared to if we had used a taxi (along with out trips to universal and malls etc).

I think if push comes to shove you could order a taxi if needed so it's not the end of the world.

It's just an inconvience financially especially as you've paid to stop at a Disney resort for the reason of transportation.

18. Tink

I think if I were there (at a deluxe, as you will be) and that I made the effort to be at the bus station an hour prior to my need to arrive at the destination (as is directed in Disney info) and a bus did not arrive in that time, I'd go directly to the front desk and tell them the wait was unacceptable and that something needed to be done to provide me with transport within the next XXX minutes as I had an ADR, etc. for XX time and needed to be there! Especially now since most ADRs are held with the mandatory fee that will be charged if you are a no show.

If WDW is going to present themselves as all inclusive, then they need to keep the transport up.

Do plan on walking to the front of EPCOT for the monorail, though Deb. That can often be the quickest way to the MK area. :yes:

19. Deb

Deb Active Member

Yes Tink, I think most of the time that will be what we do, though of course that may be more difficult if we intend to go for opening time, or leave MK at closing time (unless our feet are really tired!!). But that won't be often. I think that is one of the benefits of YC, that there is really only AK that is completely only accessible by bus :yes:

20. Tink

Yes, that should be the case. DTD too. However, I think the early morning, park opening buses run fairly well. It's as the day wears on that the problems seem to set in. I don't know if the crowding of the buses will be any better in the mornings, though.

Regardless, you will have a lovely time. You will take anything in your stride and just savor the day. I know this! :D