My trip report - the journey

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Reports and Itineraries' started by Oreo, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

We traveled down to Gatwick from Birmingham on the Friday morning to arrive at check in for 3.

We had a little car trouble (I hope it works for the return journey) which meant we were delayed.

We booked our car parking seperatley to our hotel and we arrived at purple parking around 3. We parked in one of the bays handed over our keys and I was sweet talked into having my car cleaned while we're away (why not were on holiday right?).

We then hopped onto the bus to take us to the terminal where we met with my brother and his other half in the Hilton hotel.

I do like this hotel as is perfect for us and means I don't have to worry about driving on the day of our flight. However I would say it is slightly overpriced considering you can get the premier inn around the corner for a fraction of the cost (if you book far enough in advance).

We took our cases for twilight check in, and waited for around an hour to finally get rid of the bags.

We then went for something to eat. We ended up settling for the garden grill in the hotel as there appears to be a distinct lack of options in the airport (unless you go through security).

The food was buffet style and a very nice meal. They had lovely freshly baked bread too. A thumbs up from me!

We then went back to the airport for a few drinks in the Weatherspoons before we went back to our rooms for the night.

The next morning we went straight through security and up into the departure lounge.

Since the last time I traveled from gatwick they have installed the new body scanners, I was disappointed when I wasn't selected to use one.

Security was very quick and so much easier as we'd done a lot of our check in the night before.

We had a bit of a look in the shops and grabbed a bite to eat before we were called to the gate. We boarded pretty much straight away. We had row 46 which is the last row in the middle in front of the stewardess station. I liked these seats as we were able to recline without bothering people.

The selection of films were poor however I did watch Lego movie which I was surprised by and really enjoyed it, (aparently everything is awesome!).

About half way through the flight one of the toilets was broken and unfortunately the smell carried throughout the plane. It did put me off my food a little.

We landed on time and actually got through passport control rather quickly and ended up talking to the man about women's basket ball and Rodney Dangerfield!!

We collected our bags and headed to the car hire. I had completed the alamo save time to well.... save time. However the machines didn't like my credit card so had to queue up anyway.

The man at alamo seemed to be having a bad day and barely said three words to me.

Off down the the garage where we had the selection of a complete row of mini vans.

We took a vote and went for the town and country. What a beauty of a car. Leather seats, DVD player, sat radio (none of which has been used really lol).

Popped in my satnav and off we went to Old Key West....

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I once had a Town and Country as a rental. I was truly surprised at how really nice that van is! I LOVED the back up camera. The seats were really comfortable as you say, and roomy isn't half of it, is it?

Thanks for the first report!

3. sarah

sarah New Member

You live in Birmingham?????
    I know someone else who lives in Birmingham lol x

4. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It sounds like a smooth start to the holiday :) We always stay at the Hilton, it's just so convenient.

The people on the car rental desks seem to be getting more and more miserable every time we go :lol:

5. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

The camera has made me lazy! lol I was reversing of the drive this morning and I looked at the dash and found I have no screen :( It was a lovely, lovely car.

I do live in Birmingham. I'm not originally a brummie, but i'm not from far away. I'm actually from the Black Country, and a propper most people from there would consider being called a brummie an insult. But I'm more relaxed about it all ;)

To be honest the holiday went really smooth, I did expect something to go wrong.

As soon as the man realised there were no upgrades etc he wasn't fussed with helping lol

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Lol, you should have said "Id like to upgrade to a helicopter"

7. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Could you imagine? I struggle to drive a car in Orlando let alone a helicopter. :D

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Have you thought about using Caronthedrive? They collect you from the airport and take you back... BUT you also have a hire car from them waiting on the drive of your villa or Hotel and the day you go home you leave it on the drive too. Great if you don't know where your villa is and also don't want the hassle of the hire car forms at a desk. It aint cheap but for some it's a godsend.

9. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Active Member

Training and Development Manager
    We also like Hilton hotel and we ate at the garden grill too. We like the range of selections especially the desserts!

10. Wendy

Wendy Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Did you mention desserts :D There are normally a "few" that take my fancy but rather than keep going up, I send Chris instead :lol: