1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

My upcoming trip to Chester!

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Deb, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

For many reasons too varied to go into, Mr Deb and I have had a bit of a tricky year or more all round because of “stuff” going on around us. We haven’t been away together at all in over a year. Well, things are now getting easier (let’s ignore the Credit Crunch bit of things and pretend that's not happening..:lalala: ) and we though that the time was right to book a short break. So at the weekend we did just that and we go for a 3 night break to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Chester</st1:City></st1:place> on Thursday this week! :applaudit:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

A bit of background…I used to live very close to where Josh lives, on The Wirral, and Chester was very close by and where I’d do my clothes shopping and occasionally go for nights out so I knew it very well at that time (Josh will too I expect). It’s a relaxing and striking city, surrounded by Roman walls with a centre that has medieval (I think) black and white buildings. It's also by the river. I moved away 18 years ago (I am very old :D ) and have only been back once – a couple of years ago when Mr Deb and I spent a night there when he was on business. We didn’t get much chance to look around much but he liked what he did see, and we always said we’d go back :yes:
    <o:p></o:p>

So, we are staying in The Grosvenor http://www.chestergrosvenor.com/

- the same hotel as we did then for that one night because it was awesome! When I used to shop there I used to look at that hotel and wish I could stay there. One of the very best things is that the centre of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chester</st1:place></st1:City> is all pedestrianised, but hotel guests are allowed to drive to the door, where the doorman takes your luggage and your keys and whisks your car away! Last time we did this we felt very posh as everyone was looking at us and wondering which famous people we were!! I will take my very largest pair of shades for the occasion!!

Despite it being a 5 star hotel we did get a very good deal by keeping to the lowest grade of room, the Classic, as we found that last time it had more than everything we needed, as well as getting a “stay for 3 nights b&b, pay for 2” deal :thumbsup:

However, this saving will be spent immediately :D The hotel has a Michelin starred restaurant, Simon Radley, and after much discussion we decided to throw caution to the wind and have a meal there whilst we had the opportunity. We are both foodies, and reckoned we deserved it! The only reservation we could get was for 8:30 on Saturday evening so it will be a nice last night there for us. Here is the menu for those who are interested (Tink!! ;) ).
    <o:p>http://www.chestergrosvenor.com/uploads/documents/Simon%20Radley%20Menu%20Sept%2008.pdf</o:p>

There is a designer shopping outlet, the Cheshire Oaks, a short drive from <st1:City w:st="on">Chester</st1:City> and we intend to go there to do a little shopping, as well as browse around <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Chester</st1:place></st1:City>. We have a few things to get for the house, like curtains and lighting for our bedroom, so will be keeping an eye open for them, as well as seeing what clothes bargains there are! And if Claire is reading this…there is a Mulberry at the shopping outlet that I will be scrutinising very closely :D The weather will help us decide what else we do, though we intend to relax and enjoy being together, do things at our own pace, and if things get too hectic we'll just stop for a small glass of wine :D

My Mum is coming to look after Sorrel and the cats, and I am hoping this will be a tester for her to see if she feels she could manage to look after them all here for a week or more so we can go away on longer holidays without having to get a Petsitter (Sorrel really does not do well in kennels at all). This new house is a bit remote and she doesn't drive, but we’ll see how it works out. <o:p>One step at a time and all that.</o:p>

Sorry to have written such a loooooong pre-trippie…but I am really looking forward to our little time away. Please note, I will not be using any forks during this time just in case they have the adverse affect they have been having here lately :nono: Well, it would be an adverse affect on me!

Now, I have soooooo much to do before I go :mental:

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Crispy pig's foot! :eek:

3. Deb

Probably had a bit of an infection.... :D

Maybe I should have mentioned it's not the most mainstream kind of menu I've seen...

4. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Hotel is gorgeous! Chester is a place I have always wanted to visit :yes: Have a fantastic time, take lots of photos for us back 'home' :D

5. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

lovely! you'll have a fabulous time Deb :hug2:

are you sure about the fork.....?:tongue:

6. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Imagineer

It all looks lovely :yes:
    Like the menu, there's lots on there I would like to try.
    Have a fabulous break Deb, you deserve it :hug2:

7. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Deb that hotel looks lovely. Enjoy yorself girl and shop,shop,shop. Not to sure about the pigs foot!!!!. Take a well deserved break to relax and regroup.:hug2:

8. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Enjoy your mini-holiday and come home refreshed! :)

9. Deb

Yes, I am most certainly sure about the fork :nono:

Thanks all :hug2: Little niggly things seem to still be conspiring to make this a bad weekend to go, so we're working on the basis that it must mean we're meant to, if that makes sense :D

10. Steven

Steven Earning my ears

Eeeeeeee the grosvener - I dont feel posh enough just to walk past lol. If you go shopping - come and see me in work - I'll be there.. as always!!! LOL

Have a great mini break, Chester is a gorgeous city and I'm proud to say I live and work here!

11. Deb

I know what you mean Steven...but I can do "faux-posh" when I need to :D

What do you mean if I go shopping?? That's a no-brainer! I would come and gawk at you but I don't know where you work :(

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

What a lovely sounding break! I am looking forward to hearing all about it, plus seeing photos! :9: :D :D