1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

NASA launch Aries x-1

Discussion in 'Astronomy & Astrophotography' started by Skywatcher, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

The first launch happened yesterday of the first new spacecraft for nearly 3 decades. Part of a programme that will :fingers: see us back to the moon and beyond.

The most fabulous part of this is watching thomas' face when he sees this. He is very aware that history is being made right now in his lifetime and you can see the wonder in his eyes. He also checks the 'new horizons' probe daily which is going to Pluto and the kuiper belt and has a cd on board that bears his name :D

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Did u see that NASA has an app for the iPhone?

3. Skywatcher

indeed :yes: we were looking at it at his bedtime last night, he was watching the launch on it - its a very good App

4. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

they say we will never go back to the moon for yrrrrrrrrrrrs :( was even thinking of scrapping the aries project altogether (both rockets) :(

5. Skywatcher

Then why launch the prototype 2 days ago :unsure: -= there were a few minor problems but nothing unsurmountable - thats why they do unmanned tests

6. ukwdwnut

i saw a programme the other day and the said they were pretty close to scrapping the whole project no so long ago...because of the cost, and also said they doubt they will ever get back to the moon in my lifetime...if its that expensive why dont other countries chip as well, as maybe the project is in the planets interests in the long run :)

7. Skywatcher

All the official sites say constellation is good to go. Seriously Mick they wouldn't have gone ahead this week otherwise. A lot of the counter stuff is from acouple of years back pre Obama he is, as far as I know firmly behind the project. The impact test carried out3 weeks ago and the lcross programme are all part of this. I will place a fiver on it going ahead ;). I know people involved :D

8. ukwdwnut

i seriously hope so, i cant wait for it all to get going, and i hope we get back to the moon in my lifetime or hope we find something so we live forever than i will lol...id seriously luv to go up into space ive been hooked since apollo 8....and im determined to get to ksc on my next trip, its been put off now 4 times :(

9. Skywatcher

Its an inspirational place to go, and when we went pretty empty too , they are all very excited about Constellation

The thing is it will HAVE to go ahead as the shuttle is on its last legs and they need a launch vehicle to service the ISS

10. ukwdwnut

yeah your right about the shuttle, not many more launches left are there, do you know when the last one is due up

cant wait, esp to stand next to the saturn 5 rocket, what an awesome sight that must be :)

11. Skywatcher

That was my Fav part of the whole trip, something I had dreamed about since I was a kid, think I was alive when Gene Cernan left the moon but I can only have been in nappies.

You go into the original mission control room from the launch there is a presentation and then you go through into a hanger where the Saturn V is lying on its side in its stages it is an awesome sight. We had lunch under it . Thomas wanted the table closest to it and he picked the chair closest to it as well and just kept gazing up at it :D

Even Aries V will not be as powerful as the Saturn V

Must get round to putting my pics up of NASA

12. ukwdwnut

sounds awesome chris...i heard there are two tours as well, a long & short version is that true?

yeah please when you have time would be great to see them :)

13. Skywatcher

There are a few different tours - we just did the basic one and it was more than enough to fill a day. I would defo go straight for the buses as soon as you go through the gates they stop off at several locations and you can spend as long as you like at each then get on a bus to the next stop

14. ukwdwnut

oh ok cool didnt know that...thx mate :)

15. Skywatcher

In the rocket garden they have the original walkway from apollo 11 so you can walk the same gantry as Neil Armstrong , THAT is pretty cool :geekon:

16. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Here's a rather interesting NASA video of the Aries X-1 flight taken from the vantage point of a small aircraft that NASA had up at 12,000 feet. You can watch the entire flight!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A4l2wxbMEQg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A4l2wxbMEQg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

Tom :)macwave:... this is just too cool!)

17. Skywatcher

:excited:

each night me an d the boy read the Twitter feeds and comments from p[eople involved in the project there is a real buzz about this, we are going back and to be in on it from th eoff is a very exciting thing