1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Nassau

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by Deafjeff, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hi,

I have been reading a mixed review about the Nassau island. I am wondering if anyone have any recommendation of which trip to take? We like the idea of doing dolphin t the Atlantic resort. Has anyone done this?
  2. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Imagineer

We pre booked the Atlantis tour, it was very rushed and because it was drizzling they cut it short and told us that's it but your free to wander. For what we paid I wasn't happy.

I wasn't impressed to be honest, it's very dirty and on the walk from the bus through the terminal bit I didn't feel safe. I wish I had stayed on the boat, but that's just my opinion.
  3. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We didn't book an excursion, we left the ship as soon as she docked we got a taxi as we got off the boat to Atlantis, paid for the dig/aquarium, had a good nosey around and then got a taxi back. Had a little look around the streets near the dock and then got back on board for lunch and then a pool afternoon.
  4. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Thanks we are thinking of doing the dolphins encounter at Atlantic resort not sure if it's that good?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OK, I'm going to go right out on a limb here and be as politically incorrect as I'll ever be on these boards. Do not get off the ship. I'm serious. The Bahamas are hateful to gay folk. We refused to get off in protest for the way they treated the cruise that had many gay families on it (the one with Rosie O'Donnell, etc). And, because I will not willingly subject myself to homophobic treatment whenever I can prevent it. I do not take kindly to being called names in public or having psuedo-Christian placards shoved in my face.

I will not give one dime (whether they be Americans or not, that's not the point) to places that are so obviously anti-gay. I can't always "vote with my money" but I make a serious effort to do so any time I can, or know enough to do so.

if you want to swim with the dolphins, there are many other options to do so, including in Cocoa Beach! Disney has a couple of options and so does Seaworld. Give your money to them.
  6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I wasn`t over impressed with Nassau. Somehow I imagined it to be a much nicer place than it actually is.
    By all means do the Dolphin excursion if you want Jeff, but on the other hand you can easily see many of the tourist attractions on foot if you don`t mind a spot of walking.....just be aware of the taxi drivers and horse carriages lined up immediately at the exit from the ship, all of which are quite pushy !
    You could easily take in the Governor`s House and also Fort Fincastle from where you will get a great view of the ship at the dock.
    Alongside the castle is a small street market seeling all sorts of touristy items, and not far away is a famous set of steps that were hewn out of the solid rock by slaves many years ago which also claimed many of their lives. Well worth seeing if you feel like indulging in a spot of history.
    Apart from that, there is not a lot to do really in Nassau town itself, but it is probably worth doing a spot of window shopping if nothing else...just to say that you have been there!
  7. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Seems like we have had Nassau as a port of call way too many times. Last trip we went to Atlantis and did a dolphin encounter as my DW really wanted that. We boarded a bus and were transported to the resort. The resort is rather stunning. You can walk around the aquarium with the pass we had and it was really quite awesome. The dolphin thing was pretty cool DW did get to kiss another mammal besides me!

I love sailing so there used to be an America's Cup Challenge race there. The tender picked you right up near the boat and delivered you to the yacht club. We boarded NZL 10 and raced NZL 12. IT WAS GREAT.

We did a history tour via bus. There were "docents" at each stop each asking for a tip. It was uncomfortable. We walked down those same steps that Slowhand mentioned. Crazy and very sad to think how they were constructed.
  8. disney-fan

disney-fan Imagineer

Nassau- when we were there it was very dirty and everybody had there hand out.
    if you ask a question the answer alway end with it customary to tip
    Save your money

mike