1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Need Apple iMac opinions...

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by catrancher, Apr 4, 2012.

1. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Ok iMac owners, here's my issue.

Both my DW and I have 17" Macbook Pro's. My DW's is a 2006 model (Core Duo) and mines a 2011 Core I7. Sadly though, hers won't support Lion. As such, I can't upgrade her to iCloud using her computer. Granted, I can do it other ways, but then she misses out on some of the iCloud functionality on her laptop.

So, I'm thinking about upgrading her machine. I've got a couple of options.

First, I could just get another 17" Macbook Pro. I'm not wild about this idea. They're still pretty expensive although I could save some money by buying a refurbished one.

Second, I'm thinking about going to an iMac (21.5") for me and giving her my existing Macbook Pro. There too, I could save a few bucks by going the refurbished route. The only issue would be that I'd be going from a quad core I7 to a quad core I5.

So, I'm soliciting opinions from the iMac users. Anybody got any feel for what kind of a performance hit I'd be taking? If any? Would I regret moving from a Macbook Pro to an iMac? :unsure:

Any other thoughts?

Tom :)macwave:... conflicted...)
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

oh gosh I do love this kind of post :D

right! it's a very personal choice of course so I can only answer from my own perspective ;-)

If you don't take the 17" anywhere, then you won't miss the portability. If that's the case, then I'd take the imac every day of the week! Lovely screen, lovely performance, lovely looking, and just great. Best desktop machine I've ever had.

quad core i7->i5 is no hit at all unless you a) run cpu benchmarks all day :) or b) are REALLY pushing things with video encoding or some such cpu intensive operations and even then, will you REALLY notice?

I have the quad core i7 imac and I have i5s in other things. I dont notice the difference.

So in my opinion, it's an easyish ponderment. Consider how often you move the 17" and if not being able to do that causes you to think HMMMMM then it sounds like you still need a laptop, if not, then I feel confident that the imac will be even MORE enjoyable when you use it as a desktop.

Just remember, rumoured new imacs with non-glossy screens as an option soon.. and of course new thinner 15" (and 13/17 later) macbook pros. I desperately want the 15
  3. catrancher

Thanks for you thoughts Keith! :yes:

What you've said is kind of the way I was leaning. And with the price differential for the iMacs versus the Macbook Pro's, it adds even more impetus to your conclusions.

Usually, the only place I take it is on the weekends from my downstairs office up to our kitchen area so I can be in the same area of the house as my DW. Of course, the 21.5" iMac only weighs 20lbs so while it's not portable like a laptop, I could still move it upstairs on the weekend.

I'm not really into running SPECint or SPECfp all day. Nor the Passmark suite. I just find doing those a bit boring. :ROFL:
    I do do a bit of video encoding but not all that much so that's probably not an issue. I can always borrow my DW's laptop back if I need the additional performance. At least temporarily.

That's more or less what I was thinking. Like I said, the only moving I usually do is to take it upstairs on the weekends and even with the iMac, that would be doable. :thumbsup:

I know. But I've got to get this resolved before June when MobileMe goes away. She uses her iDisk and .Mac mail accounts extensively. I've got to get her over onto iCloud and her current laptop won't support Lion. Of course, that's another issue and one that I'm not terribly happy about but I guess I can understand. I hate being put in a position where I have to spend money to keep up. Especially when what we've got is still perfectly adequate for her needs. But sadly, I don't see any way around it since it's becoming apparent that Apple is not going to put iCloud support into Snow Leopard.

Many thanks for your input. I think you've pretty well reinforced what I was thinking. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... of course, I also yelled at Apple for the lack of iCloud support in Snow Leopard!)
  4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Why did you have to say that :taunt:
  5. keith

:p I so so do

15" macbook pro has been my beloved laptop for so many years, but recently I couldn't ignore the 13" macbook air so I have a couple of those now ready to sell if they produce a 15" version (because I just prefer the 15" screensize, I know most people prefer the 13" but I'm weird :lol: )
  6. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I know I can't give the technical arguments that Keith has but I simply adore my 27 inch iMac , everyone who has seen it from my family and friends having seen it and had a play have gone home and bought one, think we are up to 6 converts so far.

Had it 2 years or more now and it is as fast and crisp as the day I bought it, no pc I've ev owned could say that. The design is pretty near perfect, only one lead etc.

I have an i5 and come nowhere near to pushing it.

There is a new OS in the offing soon is there not?
  7. catrancher

Thanks Chris!

Yep. Mountain Lion. Coming this summer to a Mac near you! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... here kitty, kitty, kitty!)
  8. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I can't answer any of the technical questions.

But you know I bought my iMac last year and it's truly a lovely piece of machinery. I absolutely adore it.
  9. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

My will be two years old mac book pro is on its 'last leg' :sorry:

I have not been looking after it very well at all!

I am not sure if I should buy another pro next year (jan/feb) or go for MacBook air..

Bearing this in mind, I am using my iPad more.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tqrc0i
  10. Skywatcher

Do you have a desktop Jeff?

The Air , I believe has a solid state 'hard drive' which is amazing but not huge, we need a desktop/laptop with a large drive to take all the photos and vids we have. I use my iPad all the time but there are still a few things that the iMac does better and I need it for for sure. Not least of which is printing which they still haven't sorted for the iPad :rolleyes:

The air does look lickable though
  11. keith

Yep that's right, the SSD Air's have either 128GB or 256GB. That's easily enough to work with but nowhere near the capacity of spinny disks :)

Most people nowadays keep just what they need on the laptops and then keep the data on a Networked drive and of course increasingly in the cloud so they can get to it from anywhere.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the rumoured 15" thinner pro. They could go SSD, or even SSD+hard drive for the best of both worlds though that increases cost and weight.
  12. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Why do I keep coming into this thread :sigh: :lol:
  13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I haven't been able to convince myself to spend the extra money on any kind of Mac product so far. And now that I do have an iPad I'm not sure I like the way some things run in Safari. Of course that could be caused by limitations of the iPad I suppose.
  14. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We have a Mac Air and it's a wonderful machine. Can't say enough good about it.

Have an 8 year old iMac! Unfortunately, the boy has done something to it and it's not running right now (won't turn on) but through no fault of its own. :( We'd take it for repair, but it is 8 years old, after all... :sigh:

Herself wants another mac laptop, and we may get a macbook pro just for the versatility of things (and since the desktop seems to be "gone" :unsure: ).

I know that doesn't really contribute to the info you are looking for catrancher, but I thought I'd throw it on the pile, just because. :D
  15. catrancher

Thanks anyway Tink! I know I don't have to convince Mac owners to get another one. I'm just trying to figure out for myself how I want to go about upgrading my DW's machine.

This morning I'm looking at the 27" iMacs! :mental:

Tom :)macwave:... well... bigger's better innit?)
  16. keith

The 27 is the best for sure ;-) I wouldn't have a different kind now (unless maybe they brought out a 30 :lol: )
  17. Skywatcher

The 27s are like nearly 6 better :yes:
  18. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Imagineer

I have been having a similar dilemma recently.

I have a desktop iMac 2006 (the white one) which I have upgraded so that it now runs on Lion, though some of the functionality is still missing.

I had a 15" MacBook pro which I had for three years and 20 days and the logic board blew up. :surrender:

I have an iPad 2 now. Between my iMac, which I use for video editing and every day office use, and my iPad I haven't missed my MacBook pro one bit, apart from having someone shiny to play with.
    Was tempted by the Air but it's size (or lack of) and relatively similar price to the pros and new iMacs means I'm no longer tempted.

I haven't heard any rumour of a new laptop, but my gut tells me to wait for the next big thing which is likely to be a laptop product. But if I had to choose right now it would be to replace my very loyal and 6 year old iMac for the new, big and shiny 27 incher. :yes:

Cheers
    Stephen
  19. keith

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a new 15" macbook pro/air combined laptop by the end of this month beginning of May :yes:

I reckon maybe a bit thicker than the air, but much thinner than the pro and no DVD of course
  20. catrancher

They're supposed to be building 200K of them by the 15th of this month.

But I still being really tempted by the current crop of 27" iMacs.

Tom :)macwave:... trying to be patient...)