1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New Airline

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Figment, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Figment

Figment Imagineer

So I've heard about this new airline called Allegiant Air. It's a no frills airline with no free drinks or snacks...reminds me of the old People's Express. Since it's only about a 2 hour flight for us, I am looking at them as a possibility to save some money.

They fly out of Columbus which is about 90 minutes from us...about twice as far as Dayton where we normally fly out. It also only flies in to Sanford. Approximately how long is the drive to Disney from there? We normally rent a car any way (when we all go) so not having DME isn't the issue.

They also only fly the Columbus-Sanford route on Thursdays and Sundays...but the savings is substantial from what I've been seeing so far. They even give a discount for using a DEBIT card instead of a credit card! Three of us in October flying Thursday to Thursday is showing only $507!

So, again, my major question is how long of a drive from Sanford? And is it any *easy* drive?

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The drive is about an hour, give or take on either side. If you take I-4, depending on traffic it could be longer. We go into Sanford when we take the Auto Train but I have a Sun Pass so I take 417 which is about $8.00 in tolls, with the Disney exits normally being cash or Sun Pass only.

3. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Just be careful with Allegiant Air! We flew them a few times and my Parents actually used them to fly to WDW in 2011 and they were great. Just like you said it was nothing fancy and a cheap flight. We are all flying this trip so that is the first place I went to check and things have changed!! By the time I had flights for 4 adults, 2 kids, and a lap child it was well over $3500! I booked JetBlue for $1900 total. Allegiant is now charging for every bag, any carry on luggage, soda, food, picking a seat, and just about everything else you can imagine. It might work just fine for you, but just take a really good look before you book :D

Oh and my Parent's got a town car from Sanford and it was about 45 minutes to the All Stars :yes:

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Pay toilets?

5. Shellyamc

We were thinking that was next!! It really was a long list!

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I am so tired of the nickel and diming

7. Shellyamc

The difference between 2011 and 2013 was like $2500!! It was CRAZY! I can understand the price per ticket going up, but I have no idea what they were thinking with all the changes. I was also a little freaked out after reading their reviews.

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yep, easy drive from Sanford. If you are going to Disney, I'd take I4. No tolls and a straight shot. If it's slap during rush hour (8 am to 9-9:30 am) or (4:30-5:00 pm to about 6:30) then consider 417 but that does take you a long way out of your way (curves to the east) and there are those tolls. Be sure to get off the correct exit too, or you'll overshoot and go into Celebration.

Allegiant, as Shelly says, used to be a great deal. It is not, unless you are flying bag free, and don't want anything from them other than a seat.