1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New Chef's Table at Disney's Flying Fish Cafe

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by eeyoreguy, Apr 20, 2010.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

The Flying Fish Cafe at Disney's Boardwalk is now offering a special dining experience at the "Chef's Counter".

The Chef's Tasting Wine Dinner allows up to six guests to sit at the granite counter overlooking the on-stage kitchen where they will be able to see their meals being created. This experience includes five courses, paired with wine by sommelier Keith Gimbel. Chef Tim Keating says there will be a "new spin on menu items." Guests will also have the opportunity to interact with the restaurant's chefs.

Sunday through Thursday, seatings are offered at 5:45 pm and 8:15 pm. The cost for this experience is $135, $85 without wine pairings. Reservations are recommended.

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

To sit at a counter? Thanks, but I'll pass. Way too uncomfortable for me. :sorry:

I'm sure loads of folks will take the opportunity though. :yes:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Same here. :thumbsup:
    I can`t see the difference between this and the regular counter seating arrangement at the FF to be honest. :unsure:

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Feels a bit contrived doesn't it? Hardly a V&A chef's table experience

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

When we go out for dinner we do so to be comfortable, and to be able to talk. Counter service to me is not physically comfortable for one thing, nor is it conducive to discussion. :sorry:

I believe you can enjoy a "Chef's Table" experience but still be comfortable and have your own private discussions too.

6. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Not sure I would call that a chef's table experience. But Donna and I love to eat at The Cooking Place in JIKO and we also ate at the counter at Napa Rose when were at Disneyland and Chef Sutton personally handled our dinner that night.

7. alicat1125

alicat1125 Earning my ears

I know this thread is old but I have extensive experience at the Flying Fish Chefs Table. It is not like other Chefs tables but I can honestly say it is one of the best. The food is amazing, always different and always excellent. I have yet to have something I didn't enjoy fully. We go often enough that Big Tim and LT (chefs) have a hard time finding dishes we have not tried yet. The wine pairing are always on target. Again, I have yet to get a "train wreck". As I said, it is not conventional but is one of the best experiences around. Love you guys at the Flying Fish.:wave:

8. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Thanks alicat! I'm glad you posted, I'd been wondering about trying the flying fish

9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I quite like to sit at a counter and watch what is going on, might have to look at some menus. Only thing fishy I don't like is baked fish in a parcel type thing with loads of herbs. I don't think I've seen anything like that on the menu though

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Even though Donna doesn't do ANYTHING fish related she has always been able to find something on the menu to meet her needs so she accommodates me because I seriously love this restaurant. We have never done the Chef's Table though. As much as we love sitting at the Cooking Place in Jiko, we can no longer do that as the seats are very uncomfortable for Donna. I'm afraid these seats may be similar and I don't want her to be uncomfortable during a meal.

11. alicat1125

alicat1125 Earning my ears

The menu for the chefs table is completely different each time you go. None of the items are on the regular menu and it is pre selected for you and printed on a menu you can take (alot of planning by the chefs goes into this). It can be a mix of fishes and meats. The sizes are small so that you can eat all 5-6 courses. You can tell them when you book it that you have preferrences and they will ask again when you get there. Its not "counter service" you are placed at the counter that is in front of the open kitchen. The chefs are very nice and will interact with you as much as they can (they will gladly give you cooking tips as well).
    I have never noticed that it was uncomfortable, but perhaps other would depending on circumstances. As for the fish in a parcel: it is red snapper wrapped in leaves. It is their signature dish, though I prefer their surf and turf as it has beef and a small piece of the snapper. It's really not over spiced at all. I highly recommend the chefs tasting (not a chefs table but a chefs tasting) especially if you like paired wines. I am sure you can tell them that you need to sit at a table due to health reasons.......?