1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New Disneyworld EPCOT entrance system being trialled

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by eeyoreguy, Mar 17, 2011.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

Disney began testing an experimental entry configuration at EPCOT to see if it simplifies park entry. Periodically throughout the day, some guests were invited to scan their tickets at the new system which may ease entry, especially for families with strollers or wheelchairs. Teams are always trying out new ideas – stay tuned to see if this makes it into the parks

What do you reckon?

Attached Files:

2. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Seaworld have a scan ticket system, although they do still have the turnstyle bit too.

3. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I did not see this when I was there yesterday. Maybe I entered over at the other end...

4. JStrickPhoto

JStrickPhoto Imagineer

If only you didn't have to walk a mile from the monorail exit to the park entrance turnstiles! The absolute worst part of taking the monorail. You are dropped-off right above the entrance... yet you have to walk SO far to get back to the entrance! I understand wheelchair/handicap accessibility, but lets add a staircase to make the journey quicker for the larger group at hand!

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The monorail exit to the entrance of EPCOT? Not far at all, really. Are you sure that's the one you mean, and that you aren't thinking of the TTC to Monorail to MK? :unsure:

I sure hope this expedites entry. EPCOT can get SO backlogged!!!

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I think he means the Epcot monorail station. I remember thinking it was a lot longer than I remembered when we used it back in Oct.

7. Tink

Really? :unsure: It didn't seem like that when we were there opening weekend of the Flower and Garden show... but then, we like to walk.

8. Johnie

I don't mind the walk but when your excited to get into the park, it seems like forever lol

9. Tink

I'm still not picturing any real distance... :unsure: :lol:

10. JStrickPhoto

JStrickPhoto Imagineer

It's a pretty good distance walking towards the parking lot, then back towards the park then walking towards the parking lot again where it meets street-level.

Having just been there, I remember both my wife & I commenting on how much a drag it is having to do all that walking.

We don't mind walking either as that's part of what you do when you are at the parks. But, when you've spent the first half of your day at MK and now you are coming here, less walking saves the feet just that much!

11. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I think it's just the perspective of the monorail stopping directly over the security check so you think you would be able to just go down an escalator or stairs and being directly at the ticketing sales booths.
    Instead, you have to go down the ADA switchback ramps. Kinda like any queue at Disney. Ever gone on Nemo when it's not busy? Thunder Mountain? HAHA! Now those are some long and wind-y queues!

My complaint would be the security check. I have no idea what they're looking for. You think anyone dumb enough to bring a weapon would be at least smart enough to conceal it. But, no. The "guards" have to rifle through everyone's purse, stroller, lunch sack, and diaper bag to make sure some mom isn't packing heat. (or dugs? or liquor?) I don't think the process is efficient, effective, or gives anyone any additional sense of security. I think it's just another way to slow down so many people from entering the park at once (just like the long ramp down from the monorail ;)

12. Johnie

Security is a joke, I agree. Most of the guards don't even actually look in your bag.

13. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

heck if the monorail is bad, try the bus stops! now THAT's a walk. Why on earth they changed a few years ago to let people in only at the furthest turnstiles I don't know :/ it was never a problem before.

The security is indeed a joke. I've been surveyed about it three times now. Each time the questions have been very to the point "do you think there's any worth in these checks?" "why do you say that?" "does it make you feel safer?" etc

Every time I tell them how useless I think they are but nothing changes :/ so I just thought everyone else filling in the surveys liked them for some reason. Of course they could just be ignoring the data.

Some of those guards are totally jobsworth people too. They're obviously frustrated at not being "proper" police

14. Johnie

The buses are one of the reasons I always get a car. It's not even the walking, it's the long waiting at the end of a long day and then having to stand on the bus.