1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New Duffy the Disney Bear Storybook to Debut on October 14 at Disney Parks

Discussion in 'General News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

There is a bedtime ritual that takes place each night with children all over the world. After brushing their teeth, it's time to be read a bedtime story.

On October 14th a new bedtime story about Duffy the Disney Bear arrives at Disney Parks. The book is titled “Duffy the Disney Bear, Mickey’s New Friend,” and it was inspired by stories first introduced at Tokyo Disney Resort.

duffy-book-cover.jpg

The book was written by Jessie Ward from Disney Publishing in New York with illustrations by Monty Maldovan, an artist from Disney Design Group in Florida. Monty has also designed many of the costumes and bears introduced at Disney Parks.

Monty said that this is the first time he's ever provided illustrations for a storybook. He said he recalled his mother reading stories to himas a child, so he was pretty excited to work on this project.

It took about two months to create the hand drawn illustrations used in the book. Monty then worked with an artist named Robert Vann who added a watercolor texture effect to each illustration.

pictures-from-Duffy-book.jpg

The book has 32 pages and Jessie Ward said:

“I used stories that were featured on product hangtags in Tokyo Disney Resort as the basis for the story,” said Jessie. “I have written other books for Disney Editions but this is my first story about Duffy. While writing it, I thought of my experiences as a child. I often spent time on the water with my parents and liked to bring along a doll as a companion. I liked the idea of Mickey and Duffy having adventures together, especially since Mickey was a sailor like I am. I even added some humor when Mickey and Duffy tried new foods.”

To celebrate the release of this book (and the fact that Duffy has been in the United States for a year), there will be a special meet and greet with Monty at Epcot on October 14. He will be signing books from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Disney’s Traders in World Showcase near Mexico Pavilion.

Once you meet Monty, you can also meet Duffy in his new Halloween attire across the promenade, and enjoy the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival.

Finally, anyone looking to get this storybook or other select Duffy items via the internet, a new Duffy the Disney Bear boutique recently launched via the Disney parks online store with a variety of items including bears, costumes, pins and more.

The new storybook will be released via the online store on November 7, 2011.