1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New external hard drive

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by wdwgrandma, Dec 28, 2008.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I wouldnt worry about it Donna, the My Book utilities arent worth having in my humble opinion, I format my WD drives just to get rid of them ;)

2. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

Ok... Nope. Didn't work. I shut down and rebooted my computer. It just sat there when it reached the part where it says it is starting Windows, or whatever it says... I booted down, removed the drive and booted back up. It came right up. And after I plugged in the drive, there it was!

I guess this means I need to go into the BIOS to tell it not to boot from an external drive... This part I am REALLY not looking forward to...

3. wdwgrandma

Or maybe I'll not worry about messing with the BIOS. Plugging my drive in after the system is up isn't a problem.

Question for you tho... What back up utility do you recommend? I's like to be able to back up my laptop to the new drive. I also plan to move some size intensive folders to my external (photo folders, etc).

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah it would seem like the bios is saying boot from external drive before internal so easy enough change but perhaps not worth the hassle you're right. I was wondering if the XP disk management tool could help but yeah, probably the bios

Have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

The built in backup utility works ok and can be scheduled (and is of course free). You can get others which are a bit more savvy and perhaps do syncing a little more nicely

To be honest, I just drag everything I need onto the backup drive but I agree that's not the cleverest strategy in the world

5. wdwgrandma

This was the utility I used when I discovered my new drive was FAT32 formatted. I just wondered if there was anything beter out there.