1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New iPhone.....

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Deafjeff, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

finally activated an hour ago yay!!!

Love the new font style so easy to read...
  2. MarkE

MarkE Imagineer

I hope none of you are experienceing the yellow dots or loss of signal thats being reported!! Doesn't sound good - the aerial / antenna is basically next to the speak at the bottom of the phone, and when holding the phone in your hand it's killing the reception!! Don't know if this is just specific to one network or not?
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I've not seen the yellowing but the reports are that its the bond used on the glass and should clear within a few days of use :)

The reception thing isn't clear either :/ people are saying they can demo the same thing on iOS4 on a 3g/3gs as well. Don't know. I can see the cell bars on both my 3gs and 4 vary depending how I hold it and in a marginal strength area that can be enough to knock the 3gs off line I know from prior experience.

I suspect it's one of those something and nothings. Just a matter of getting used to the best way to hold it
  4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

The other thing Apple's saying is that if you use one of the bumpers they've got for it, it completely eliminates the problem. :unsure:

I'm still sitting tight until I find out from my carrier what my options are. I've currently got the old unlimited data plan but they're telling me my contract has expired. I don't agree with that since I bought my DW her iPhone a year ago last Christmas and had to renew my 2 year contract at that point in time. I should still be under that contract and thus eligible to keep my unlimited data plan. I don't want to go to their new plan which no longer is unlimited data. :nono:

Tom :)macwave:... we'll see!)
  5. keith

yep and I can confirm thats true on my 3gs. with its see thru bumper installed, no change wherever I hold it. So I can imagine those bumpers being a complete fix

yeah same over here, normally they love the contracts to run on forever but they want everyone off unlimited
  6. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Apple have stated that it's only when it's held in a certain place, and apparently people have found it's actually a software problem. It displays 0 bars but if you make a call it's fine :yes:

The yellow dots is the adhesive, they are being shipped so quickly from production that they don't have time to evaporate properly. Then when they're used it speeds it up a lot more and they'll eventually go :yes:
  7. keith

After a day of using it, I'm appreciating it more and more. I think it's now a mature product :yes: I wouldnt now want to go back not even to a 3gs
  8. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I honestly think they've hit the nail on the head... it's hard to think how to improve it other than battery life and size... and even then it would take some beating.
  9. keith

The other thing is that the design is very normal and I dont mean that in a bad way. The old bulbous iphone design always rocked on the table and just looked a bit weird. This one just looks spot on to me
  10. MarkE

MarkE Imagineer

Note to self: Ignore Keith, you're going on holiday in 8 weeks, you can't afford it just yet, go buy some holiday clothes and then you'll be happier, you need to wait a while; wait until all networks have announced all their plans, 3 could suprise everybody, you need to replace your ps3 more, it's just a phone...

The 3G network is now very close to being 'full' / at capacity, so I read. I think they want to put everyone off excess bandwith usage through things like tune in radio (internet streaming app) and watching LONG you tube videos (of tv shows etc). Not sure if that's a measurable fact or the networks have just realised they can squeeze an extra £5 a month out of you to 'double' your data plan when you may not really need to...

I'm on o2 45, and will be for another year. That has unlimited data. If they try to move me off it I'll kick up a stink... but let them off if they let me upgrade early :)
  11. keith

hehe well you know Mark, at the end of the day, it *IS* just a phone :yes: and there's nothing so compelling about it that you *HAVE* to upgrade.

Is it nicer? yeah much :yes: is it so much nicer that you should forgo other things to afford it, nah not in my opinion :)
  12. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

......apart from the stunning video which may now have tipped the balance for me as I was wavering away from it
  13. keith

photo and video wise its amazed me
  14. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

I downloaded iMovie and impressed how much I can edit on the iPhone can see a regular use at wow :yes:
  15. Skywatcher

Stock levels changing all the time. Still available at some stores but will wait until it's local I expect things will calm down a little over the next few weeks
  16. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

How do you find out where they are available? :)
  17. Skywatcher

The o2 website has a link to all stores in your area and their stock levels clock on the iPhone 4 on the main page and I think the stock link is on the next page
  18. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

19. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

For any of you that are suffering from the loss of signal/death grip phenomenon, there is purported to be a 4.01 software update coming next week that addresses the issue. :fingers:

Tom :)macwave:... that didn't take long, did it?)
  20. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Jons first iPhone comes on Wednesday :yes: