1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

new laptop or ipad?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by iluvdisney, May 22, 2011.

1. iluvdisney

iluvdisney Imagineer

A lot of apple fans around here I can see :lol:

so I need to buy a new mini laptop or Im thinking should I get an ipad instead but its really hard. Everything else I have is windows so Im worried about getting an apple ipad in case it doesnt work well in my systems

2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

The iPad will probably convert you to love apple :rotfl: In all seriousness though, it will work just fine with your windows system, especially as it has more of a mobile style OS rather than full mac OSX.

It's great for just grabbing and because it switches on instantly you can just do what you want and put it back. If it was a laptop you have to wait for it to boot etc etc etc (That's another reason I don't like the Full Operating System tablets)

One example that our iPad gets used for when we don't use our laptop, is if we're watching a film or TV etc etc and we think 'who's that'? We just pick up the iPad and google within seconds!

If you like the iPad design there are other tablets out there but I've found none that are as well made, good value for money and intuitive as the iPad!

3. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Oddly enough, a guy I work with was in the same boat the other day. He's a Windows guy all the way. But, he bought an iPad 2 ostensibly for his kids to use.

Yeah, right. :unimpressed:

Anyway, he had a bit of an issue getting iTunes to run on his PC. Don't know exactly what the problem was but he's running Windows 7 and couldn't get it to work. Finally ended up running it on his Windows XP VMWare virtual machine. Then it worked fine.

Now, on to his reaction. As I mentioned, he's a guy I work with and in our company, we use Microsoft Office Communicator extensively. So, he starts pinging me with all kinds of iPad questions. What's the best app for this, how do I do that, etc. Things like that.

About an hour later, Communicator lights up with another ping from him. The exchange looked something like this (he's Neville btw):

• Neville: OMG have you seen GarageBand! :unsure:
    • Me: Yes, I have it.
    • Neville: OMG, OMG, OMG...
    • Me: and your point is?
    • Neville: OMG, OMG...
    • Me: Neville! Stop drooling! When all you say is OMG I can't find out what you think.
    • Neville: OMG, OMG...
    • Neville: gack....
    • Neville: urghhh...
    • Neville: OMG, OMG
    • Me: I take it you like it then?
    • Neville: I gotta go. I have to play with this thing some more. This is the best thing since sliced bread!

Just thought I'd share all that. Had me rolling on the floor. And now he's a 100% dyed in the wool iPad convert.

Tom :)macwave:... iPad. Therefore iAm!)

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

:lol:

I expected huge game changing things from the ipad when it came out, then I kinda put it aside for a while. I love my laptop and wouldnt be without my huge desktop screen so the ipad kinda didnt fit anywhere.

Some time ago I started just picking it up because it was faster than anything else and always available, easy to put down on the arm of the chair and so on. All of a sudden I find I'm using it all day every day.

I played with garageband a little on someone elses device the other day and wow.