1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New York New York- day 1

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by mainecoon lover, Jun 19, 2010.

1. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Day 1 the journey and first cocktail

We had checked in on-line the morning before but we unable to print boarding cards.

We were up at 3:30 am to leave for Bristol airport, we had decided it was not worth staying over night near the airport as we still would have been up early. After showering and seeing to the cats it was time to hit the road. We managed to get to the airport by 6:30 am much to do with speedy gonzales :erm:. We parked the van in the long term parking which was a walk away from the terminal. Bristol is quite a small airport compared to Gatwick but great as it normally only takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get there. We made our way to the terminal but we were a little to early to check our luggage in so we grabbed a coffee. At 7:30 am to are all checked in and through security, thankfully the queue for security had disappeared and we were quickly through. We got ourselves some breakfast which seemed quite expensive for what we had but who cares, we are on holiday :D. Sadly there is not many shops at the airport so we passed the time by having a drink in Starbucks and going on Facebook, well i did.
    We were soon being asked to board the flight with Continental airlines. They frisked everyone that was boarding the flight. We were the second row from the back on the left hand side (i choose these seats for the view of Manhattan, more to come on this). When we first sat i felt a little claustrophobic and i am putting this down to always having bulk head seating and traveling UC with Beth as we had some good leg room. The crew were older but fantastic and we wanted for nothing on the way out. The food was ok, we had salad (sadly no dressing), i had chicken and pasta, dh had beef, we had clementine sponge for dessert which was yummy but a little on the small side. The entertainment was the best i have ever seen with widescreen tv's that were on demand and we could pause and rewind. There was also a fantastic selection of movies and other programmes. An hour before we landed we were given a hot pannini and crisps, i am sure there was something sweet as well but can not remember. We had quite a bumpy flight and a few people were sick. The flight passed very quickly and we were soon coming into land so i sat with my camera all ready after reading to sit on the left for the view but sadly the view was on the right hand side. I am guessing they came in on a different flightpath :(.

[​IMG][/IMG]

We were soon off the airplane and through security. I wanted the restroom and took one look at the huge queue and thought i would wait, it soon became apparent that the queue was not for the restroom but to get through another security procedure. This fooled all on our flight as we all casually made our way past it much to the annoyance of others but to be fair to all of us we were just following the signs with me having to cross my legs. Dh collected our luggage whilst i went to the nearest restroom. We had decided to use the Liberty Express after hearing about it else were and learning it stopped just 8 blocks down from our hotel. It was only $25 return and quite a quick journey with good views of Manhattan, sadly every time i tried to take a photo a lorry or bus went by. We got off at Grand central station and made our way to our hotel the Intercontinental Barclay. Wow what a beautiful hotel and quite a bargain as we only paid £1300 for flights and hotel. The room was a good size for New York, some say the bathroom is small but it was fit for purpose and very clean

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

We collected two of three packages i had ordered. one from Justice for girls. They do not have one in Manhattan and we had decided not to go to New Jersey just for this, wow the clothes are big for a 14 year old and most will have to be put away until Beth decides to put some weight on and the other was some sale stuff from Yankee candles, sadly one of them was broken so we had to bin it.

Continued in next post .....

2. mainecoon lover

We freshened up and made our way to Times Square for dinner. We decided on Bubba Gumps as we had a $25 voucher after a not so good meal in Orlando. It was empty and we were seated straight away.

I had my first cocktail lot's a lava :tounge: and Nigel had a beer

[​IMG][/IMG]

Nigel had trout

[​IMG][/IMG]

and i had Bourbon street Mahi Mahi, it was very tasty although could have been hotter.

[​IMG][/IMG]

We decided on getting take out from Juniors in Grand Central.

We made our way back through Times Square checking out some shops on our way back as a girl does. i did buy Beth a top in the Bubba Gumps store and collected dh's free glass.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

We made our way back to the hotel with our cheesecake from Juniors which is meant to be the best although i will disagree here, not horrible but i think i have had better

[​IMG][/IMG]

We were soon in bed and fast asleep. The bed was so squishy and the best i have slept in ever. I want the mattress and pillows home here :D

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I'm going to love these trip reports :D New York sigh, miss it... looking forward to reading :yes:

4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

That drink looks fab!

5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Oooh oooh oooh very excited about this trip report :wiggle: I am going to try cheesecake from lots of different places so I can make my own mind up which is the best! :wink:

There is a Justice for Girls in Staten Island, in a mall which looks on the map quite easy to get to so I think we will try there as DD loves Justice clothes :yes:

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Brilliant start....off to read the rest :D

7. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

fantastic trip report :D I have to go there one day soon :hug2:

8. wishesandpixiedust

wishesandpixiedust Earning my ears

thanks so much for this we're hoping to go to new york soon, would you recommend continental airlines?

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I love Junior's. We had a strawberry cheesecake with a different sort of crust since the strawberries would have squished it. It was quite lovely. As is their huge pastrami sandwich.

10. mainecoon lover

100% yes. Best airline I have been on.

11. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Great report, brought back lots of memories!

Looking forward to more report!

12. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Don't suppose there are any photos of you walking with your legs crossed through the airport are there? :point:

13. chipndale

chipndale Imagineer

fantastic trip report thanks very much it's got me searching for prices

14. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I love this trip report!! I miss NY so much :sigh: Did you try an oreo cake whilst you where there? :unsure: They had them in lots of deli's and it was absolutely fantastic :yes:

15. mainecoon lover

Did not see any Josh

16. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Fabulous Trip Report, Michelle ! Can't wait for the next installment . :lol:

17. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Sounds like a good start to your NY trip. Looking forward to the rest.

18. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

Sounds like it was a fun start Michelle :) The food looked yummy :)

19. arkvilla

arkvilla Addicted to Mickey

This is great Michelle.

I'm off to NY in 4 weeks - staying at the Affinia Manhattan.

Off to read the next installment

Sandra