1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New York

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by lisaw, Sep 13, 2009.

1. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Hoping to book soon for next year, any thoughts on areas to stay that would be good for a family of four?

Where is ChinaTown located as I would rather avoid it.

We will be mainly sightseeing with some shopping - happy to walk miles :lol:

The hotels we are looking at are on West 35th Street or 10th Avenue in the Midtown area - the hotel accomodation isn't that important I just want a fairly central area that I will feel happy to walk back to in the evening with two kids.

Thanks for any input - it's mind boggling trying to plan a holiday to a place I don't know a great deal about :lol:

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Excuse me. There will be no trip planning until the previous trip has been reported. :D

3. lisaw

I was waiting for that :rolleyes: I promise I will do NewYork - I can cope with 7 days :D

4. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Hey Lisa I live in NYC and have lived here all my life. The subway system here is safe and quick and pretty cheap. I really cant recommend a hotel because I have never really needed one here. If your looking for a general area where to stay so that you will be in the middle of everything I would recommend Times Square area (midtown west or midtown east). This would leave you close to Times Square, Central Park, Rockerfeller Center,St Patricks Cathedral and the subway line you would need to visit Ground Zero and The Statue of Liberty. I would be careful in the Hotel you book because some are just outright disgusting and not fit or a family vacation. Make sure you do a little research on the hotels before booking. Any questions you may have please feel free to ask.

5. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

I agree, researching your hotel is a MUST. I stayed in a (rather pricey) NYC hotel about fifteen years ago and was horrified at how dingy and TINY the room was. We paid 200 dollars a night and could barely walk between the bed and the wall on two sides, and the bathroom was...just...ewwww-worthy. But I traveled blindly--it was a group trip with about 20 people, booked by the lead person in the group, who just tried to find enough rooms in one hotel for the nights we were staying, and probably didn't do much background research into the quality of the rooms.

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Chinatown is a good distance away from midtown. Canal Street is the main road in Chinatown.....why don't you want to go? Lovely purses to buy.... :)

And yes the rooms are small. We have had good luck getting the Sheraton Manhatten on Priceline. It's not as small as others I've stayed at in NYC. In fact, I'd say it's pretty average sized. It's a good location too.

7. Rio

Rio Earning my ears

We are staying at the Comfort Inn Manhattan next month, breakfast is included so thats a bonus.
    A friend of mine who lived in NY always stays here when she goes back to visit.
    Love Rio

8. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

I have stayed in
    The hotel newton, great hotel but we needed to get the subway. This was not a problem as we felt safe and the area had good restraunts and i would happily stay there on my own.

Milford Plaza, it was on Broadway which was an excellent location

Hotel Edison, another good hotel on Broadway but rooms were very small.

Newyorker which was near Empire state, huge room with two bathrooms. Great hotel and great location.

If i were to go with Beth again then it would be the Newyorker but if it were me and dh then the Newton due to cost.

9. lisaw

Thats one of the hotels on our list - we are booking it as a package through Virgin so I would hope it isn't completely dire :unsure: The breakfast is what is swaying us as well :yes:

Johnie the reason I don't want to stay near Chinatown is pretty pathetic but I don't like the smell (or taste for that matter :lol:) of Chinese food. :sorry:

Thanks everyone :)

10. Rio

Rio Earning my ears

11. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Ah New York New York. Wonderful place and wonderful people. I long to go back there.

There are tons of hotels around Times Square and I must say that unless you pay mega bucks, you'll be surprised at the small area of your room. It's never bothered me though because it's NEW YORK! :yes: as BUTTERHEAD1 mentions though, not all are great and I recall one place where well lets just say the nocturnal noises were hard to ignore whilst trying to sleep.

Be kinda careful with the cabs too ;) only ever official ones and even then you'll get more than the odd one who will milk the tourist dollars. I particularly enjoyed the one who couldn't find the empire state building :lol: yeah right SURE.

I could spend months just staring at the window and watching the people go by and being a night person I loved walking round. Everyone told me it would be dangerous but, and perhaps it was my inexperience, I felt fine walking about NYC at night. Granted I wasn't going far off the beaten track though.

Just a great place, love it love it love it.

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I love it. I love it. I love it. :D

I've stayed at Central Park South, the Saint Moritz. It's a decent hotel, with nothing incredible to recommend it, but nothing to scare you away either.

We've also stayed on 34th street. Nice location directly across from the Gardens. :yes:

The Times Square area is much MUCH nicer than it used to be, so don't hesitate to stay there.

China Town is down on the east side and no, you won't smell the food. :hug2: It's a neat place to walk through, and very near Little Italy (or what is left of it).

Be absolutely certain to walk (we walk EVERYWHERE in NY) to the Village and visit Dean and De Luca. Yeah, I'm a freak, but do it anyway. LOL.

The Village is where much of my heart lives (that part that isn't in Maine or Ireland). :D

New York is incredible, magnificent and totally awesome. :yes:

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

If you are going without kids, then go to Lucky Chengs in the village.

14. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: Oooh, lucky, the Broadway area is nice as is Times Square. Very convienent. Last time I was there I stayed at the Sheridan Centre, small rooms but o.k. I don't know if there is a Hampton Inn there but at least you know what you're going to get! You will have a blast, the museums are the best, the shows, the shopping I'm having trip envy!!!!:yes:

15. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i will go and see wicked on broadway when i go to new york!

16. lisaw

Not sure what to see yet :unsure:

17. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

don't know what's on to be honest

18. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

west side story!

19. lisaw

seen that :lol: