1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New York

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by karrie, Aug 29, 2008.

1. karrie

karrie Earning my ears

Hi Guys

Im in the very early stages of planning a possible trip to Ney York next Feb and looking for any advice you can throw at me lol! Where is best to stay that wont break the bank, we are looking at staying about 5 or so nights depending, other than the usual whats not to miss?

Thank you :wave:

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

My DW and I went there a few years ago on a 5 day package in order to see Eric Clapton play at Madison Square Gardens and we absolutely loved it.
    Sadly it was in November so it was quite cold but that didn`t deter us from having a great time.
    A walk in Central Park, a trip up to the top of the Empire State Building, dinner at the Waldorf Astoria, visiting Times Square, and the financial district around Wall Street are all worth doing.
    My DW would also add shopping at Macy`s! :p015:

3. karrie

karrie Earning my ears

Shopping is already on the list :lol:

4. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    We went in January last year and stayed here

http://www.wellingtonhotel.com/

Great place, great location, great staff! The room was small - but then NY rooms are small.

5. Steven

Steven Earning my ears

One tip.......

Take a Welsh person. ;)

6. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

We've stayed here several times, and have always enjoyed it...

There is SO much to see and do in the city....it all depends on what your personal tastes are!!! If you enjoy shopping...Macy's is defo the place to go...don't forget the Disney Store...and if you're feeling adventurous, you might want to ride the MASSIVE carousel at Toys R Us....There's the Hershey store for chocolate, and soooooooo many wonderful places to eat.

I'd say see a show, take a stroll, visit a rooftop bar and do a bit of shopping...

7. karrie

karrie Earning my ears

hmmm i wonder if i know any welsh people.....;)

8. karrie

karrie Earning my ears

have heard a few people recommend this so will def take a look, thanks :p015:

9. Steven

Steven Earning my ears

The Wellington is the hotel Borat stayed in! I've looked at it when I've found great deals for January. Looks nice and central. :D

Only hotel reccomendation I can make is the Millenium Hilton. Great hotel.. But a bit out of it in the financial district. Wasn't a problem though. The hotel was beautiful , the room(s!) were massive and being on the 43rd floor was a bonus. :D I wanna go back.. but now it is soooooo expensive. We had such a great deal for it.

10. karrie

karrie Earning my ears

not sure yet if we will get or not but in the very early stages of planning, but hey im female i dont take no for an answer lol!!

I have looked at the millenium hilton its gorgeous but its coming in at $3211 for 6 nights so just a tad expensive.........

11. Steven

Steven Earning my ears

We paid £666 for 3 nights in May - but that included return flights from Orlando!

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Make sure you leave some time to explore the Village. (Greenwich Village). It's a wonderful place with loads of great shops and places to dine. :yes:

Soho is nice too, but I far prefer the Village.

Chinatown will provide you with oodles of bargains! :yes:

MOMA is not to be missed.

Staten Island Ferry is fun, as is the ferry to the Statue of Liberty.

South St. Seaport used to be nice, but I've not been there in years so don't know if it's still the case or not.

13. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I LOVE Chinatown!!

We got a nice hotel in Times Square for $150 a night on Priceline.

14. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Come to think of it Johnie, I have booked every hotel I've ever stayed at in the City on Priceline. :D

15. Johnie

Priceline is quite a good deal.

16. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Ohhh I went in feb and its COLD, but really, it doesn't put you off. i took a bomber jacket and I don't ever remember complaining of being cold.
    I took a hat too. and I was fine.
    It snowed when we got to the tpo of the empire state and that was amazing. Just amazing.
    shopping there is great, Macy's, Bloomingdales are top of the list. The apple store is AMAZING if you're that way inclined.
    Make sure you double check the time of your ferry before you leave your hotel for the statten island ferry. Our's got changed and we ended up missing it :(.
    I liked MoMa and the Guggenheim, but the guggenheim was probably my favourite. If you aren't into art I wouldn't reccomend it, I got forced to do it and if I had of gone of my own choice I probably would have left, to be honest.
    We got a certain type of ticket (Maybe a city pass?) that was $50 dollars or so, and this saved us a ton on tourist attractions.

Eating wise, we mainly used delis as it was a drama-school trip. Of a night time we ate in the likes of TGIF's and other places like that. Personally, I'd try the deli's at least once or twice, the one we liked best was:

Pick a Bagel
    [SIZE=-1]200 W 57th St[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]New York, NY 10019[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]<nobr class="tel">(212) 957-5151</nobr>‎
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]<nobr class="tel">(212) 581-6545</nobr>‎

If you stay in the wellington it's only round the corner and well worth it. They have healthy, quick, food, and you have to go, if not JUST for the experience :p015:. If you do go, get a slice of oreo cake, and a bagel, it was the firm favourite among us, and the best thing about it was that it was only dirt cheap- got a very filling meal for about $10.
    Times square is also near.

We stayed in the 'Park Savoy' which was really cheap. It was nothing amazingly fancy, but has an AMAZING location, A quick walk through the park to 5th Avenue and if i remember rightly it's close to Times Square too. The rooms are small, but okay-equiped. Lots of closet space, a decent toilet, and a T.V the reception was helpful, but I wouldn't do the bed and breakfast package- the breakfast room was simply a room with a stall of some bagels, coffee ect.

Another favourite (wierd how it was completely free and un-planned but everyone remembered it as a favourite) was strawberry fields. There was a man there who decorates john lennon's plaque, and is homeless through choice. He gives speeches about peace and asks for a few donations that all go towards decorating the sign- he does it with bagels, flowers and stuff, and his speech was really moving. a google of 'Gary, Mayor of Strawberry Fields' will bring up some information. He has a dog called Mary jane, too.

The rockafella centre was good, although we couldn't do the ice-skating there, as it wasn't 'risk assesed' :mad:. It looked amazing, though. Just behind this is the 'NBC Experience Store' if you like anything NBC (It's friends that does it for me :p015:) this is THE place to go. I spent a ton on friends stuff and it was all really worth it. i have my mousemat with me now.

If there are any basketball fans going with you, then there is a NBA store which is amazing too, I don't like basketball but I really enjoyed the shop itself, too.

The world of disney store is also excellent and you can go right to the top floor and meet some characters :p015::p015: Check which days you can meet them though as I was dissapointed in the fact we couldn't meet any on that day :(.

If you need any other info just give me a holler!

[/SIZE]

17. josh.p.

ohhhh and go to the Brooklyn diner. I loved it there. I had pancakes for breakfast which where lovely, but the dinner-time menu looked even nicer.

Josh

18. karrie

karrie Earning my ears

ooohhh josh thanks for all that :wave:

19. josh.p.

It's alright, if you need anymore help just give us a shout, I remember the most stupid of things for some reason!

20. Johnie

Of all the things you must visit, the Statue of Liberty is at the top of my list. She is AWESOME. Just beautiful.

We went searching for this peanut butter and jelly restaurant. It was way out of the way but that was half the fun. It's really small but great if you like pb&j. http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/ I had this: Cinnamon Raisin Swirl™ Sandwich
    Cinnamon-Raisin Peanut Butter and vanilla cream cheese, stuffed with crisp apple slices. Cr-runch!

We also went here: http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/juniors_cheesecake/Juniors_Cheesecake_Home/Our_Restaurants.php

And if you like Italian, you must go to Carmine's. http://www.carminesnyc.com/ Mom still raves about it!