1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

New York

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Isafari, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

If you were to holiday in Florida but had a few days to fly to New York, what would you do in New York?
    Do Virgin fly from Orlando International to New York?

2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

EVERYTHING. As my PJ top reads......
    [​IMG]

3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Everything....in 3 days!!
    I don't know NY at all so have no ideas. We won't have a car....definately wouldn't fancy driving in NY....I've seen the films :lol:

4. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Getting around NY is really easy - you definitely don't need a car!

Depending on when you are going - I would love to go to Central Park - we went in the dead of winter so there wasn't much to see.

I loved the Empire State Building, and the Statue of Liberty. Will try and think what else. We spent the coldest day in the Natural History Museum - but that's not everyone's thing...

5. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I wouldn't get a car, you will get there faster using the tube than you will in a car. Traffic is terrible there.

Top of my list is the statue of liberty. I never got to do it because the ferry times got changed from the times in the brochure and we turned up too late :sorry: Make sure you phone before you leave the hotel to check the times. :yes:

Ground zero is a chilling experience. It's very sad and it really does give you a chill down your spine just thinking about everyone who lost their lives. Quite upsetting really. :sorry:

The empire state building is brilliant. I loved it and it is totally worth it. Since you are going for three days You should look into the citypass; http://www.citypass.com/city/ny.html

They where around $50, and get you into a lot of the tourist places.
    Not sure if you would want to go to the art galleries, but the guggenheim and the MoMa are included, aswell as the museum which is apparently great. Ontop of all that you get a free tour to see the statue of liberty :yes:. Great value if you are even only going to do 2-3 things included in the price.

6. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Well, you usually come to FL around the holidays . You would use an American airline to go from FL to NY . US Air, United, Delta , don't quote me , but I think thats right .
    If you are there for the holidays , definitely the tree in rockefellar center , you can ice skate too , St Patricks Cathedral is gorgeous , Times Square and see a play . You'd like Lion King . :biggrin: Eat at Carmines and have a couple of their famous apple tinis . Go shopping in all the big stores , Macy's, Gap, oh its so much fun . If you come I will come into the city . I'm, only an hour away and Becca lives an hour away in the other direction .

7. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

If I were going to NY for a few days I would come and see ME!! :D

did that work? :unsure:

8. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

YaY, its a plan if she comes Shelly .

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

What would I do in NYC???!!! :9: HOOOOOEEEE! PARTAY!!! :D :D

OK.

I'd fly into Newark and take the train from there to Manhattan. I'd stay close by Penn Station, near the Gardens. :yes:

I'd see Empire State Bldg, for certain, walk 5th Avenue, see Rockefeller Center, see St. Patrick's Cathedral (being sure to go behind the main altar to the beautiful little chapels there) walk from mid-town to the Village and explore every nook and cranny.

I might go to Battery Park. I might take the Staten Island Ferry to, or at least by the Statue of Liberty.

I'd try to see a show, and I'd walk and walk and walk and walk and gawk my little heart out. :yes:

I'd want to go to Grammercy Park, and Mario's and Tom Colicchio's and I'd look for Rocco DiSpirito but I'm not sure he's still working a restaurant there.

I might actually go into a shop or forty, or not. :D

I'd want to see MOMA and Lincoln Center...

Well, I'd just want to do everything, you know? :D :D

OOOOOH! Bronx Zoo! You'd definitely want to go there. Past the Dakota Bldg. Be sad at "that spot." :(

Central Park...

10. Rosie0610

Rosie0610 Imagineer

Jetblue goes non-stop to JFK from MCO and you get those fun tvs! For like $12pp you can take a train directly into the city from the airport. It's so cheap and pretty easy. Even I can do it!

I love NYC too! Definitley shopping!!!! Macy's and all the expensive shops!
    Times Square and Broadway! Rockefellar Center!

Tink don't forget Bobby Flay! He has some excellent places in NYC!

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh geez! Of course! How can you go to NYC and NOT go to a Bobby Flay place!!! :eek:

I think it's easier to get to Newark from MCO (and then to the city) don't you? I'm not a huge fan of going out to the island. :unsure:

But that's just me! (And everyone KNOWS how weird I am)! :yes: :D :D

12. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

If you're going in December, early January, definitely check out the holiday decorations in the shops. Several of the major department stores are known for their holiday window displays. :)

Remember, NYC, overall, will be significantly more expensive than Orlando. You can keep costs down, of course, but you'll need to work at it a bit more. Also, the weather will be closer to what you would experience at home, so be prepared for it! :)

But if you can swing it financiallly and have the time, I definitely would visit NYC almost any time of the year! :)

13. Mike

Mike Imagineer

NW UK, handy for the Lakes, Dales, Peak District a
    Have a look at my trippie from a couple of years back... three nights in NY on the way 'home' to Orlando.

Must do's for us included Central Park, Times Square, Rockerfeller Centre, Ground Zero, Guggenheim, Tiffanys, & Grand Central.

Mike

14. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

Yes, Mike , Thanks ... how could I forget a horse & carriage ride in Central Park and a prayer of remembrance at Ground Zero . I was just so :mental: her mentioning coming to NY .

15. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Diane New York is fantastic :yes:. The subway is really great and safe. Times Square is very central. We always got the subway to hear and would then walk in what ever direction we wanted to go but you can just change subways. You see so much whilst walking around.

16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

YOu must go see the Statue of Liberty. She is my favorite :yes: I hear they are opening the torch back up this summer.

I would also go to Chinatown. Canal Street is the main drag. We found a lovely pastry shop with cheap luscious pastries for $1.25!!

Definately go to Times Square. Go to a show. I highly recommend Wicked. OMG it was better than I ever dreamed.

17. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

When you go to Grand Central station remember walk through the food market that is there. The cakes are lush. Also downstairs are some lovely eateries :thumbsup:

18. Tink in Pink

Tink in Pink Earning my ears

I would love to go to New York!! I would want to do LOADS of shopping in all the desighner shops, DKNY being my favourite. See all of the sights especially the Statue of Liberty. See a broadway show, like 'Guys and Dolls' thats got to be a must do. I would love to go to some of the restaurants and clubs that the girls out of 'Sex and the City' as they always look really classy. And so much more!!

19. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I am born and raised here in NYC and love it.If anyone is going to NYC and has questions that I could answer please feel free to ask.

20. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: Rosie, I'm from Western NY too!!!