1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Newbie Car hirererererer :) hints/tips/warnings?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by keith, Apr 20, 2011.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

ok well I've said this before and chickened out but I really do need to think about hiring a car this time around.

We'd be getting into sanford airport.

What kind of documents do we need? is an old style uk paper driving license ok with passport?
    Any dos/donts? watch out for extras being added at the last minute or anything?
    How hard is it to find my way out of sanford airport?

Any and all advice however trivial more than welcome

2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Make sure you have clear instructions and/or a sat nav before leaving! This sounds silly but for some reason the villa owner had emailed us the wrong directions and we got lost in the middle of nowhere! :thud:

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I`ve just sent you an email Keith.
    To answer a couple of your points though, I have never been asked to produce the paper part of my licence although I do take it with me "just in case".
    Also the staff at the rental desk are usually very good at giving you precise directions to make your exit from the airport without a hitch, however as Josh mentioned, a sat nav may be a good idea too. The car hire company charge around $10/day [I think] for this service.

4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We take our satnav and it comes in very handy - especially when we do roads trips for a few days. However, it may be a good idea for a first time driver around the Orlando area just to get to the parks - do you REALLY pay attention to the roads when you have been on a bus/in a taxi.

Learn the rules of the road - such as turning right on a red light / under and over taking / passing a school bus etc.

You usually have to pay for your gas before filling the car.

5. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

just to add to what others have said and in answer to one query.

yes you can use the old style pink & green paper license keith as long as you have some form of photo ID which you have with your passport

id also get the platinum option, you get a full tank when you pick up your car and drop it off with a full tank, its way harder to drop it off with an empty tank with the other option

6. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

So, I'm probably the only one that does this ( yes, I am totally paranoid about everything ) .....

Check all around the hire car, at the airport, to make sure there are no dents, scratches or broken lights that could be attributed to you upon return.

7. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

To be honest, I don't think I could drive without navigation anymore. I turn it on everytime I get in my car. Yes, I know where I'm going on a day to day basis, but what happens if there is an accident up ahead and I have to take a different route?!

Getting around on Disney property is pretty easy. They have big signs. :D

Orlando can be very congested, and I feel that as Americans we're not the friendliest on the road. I'm the first to admit road rage. I remember being in the Fort Worth area in January, everyone I met was so nice and friendly, and went out of their way to say hello. As soon as I was on the road it was a very different picture.

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

If you ask at the desk they will set your sat nav to your destination for you. It is a godsend. Plus you can google a blow by blow picture account/vid of the route from sanford airport. We did this and printed them out but to be honest the sat nav did all the work.

9. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

:sully:

Tom :)macwave:... :taunt:)

10. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

the best and easiest way from sanford to disney which avoids toll roads and lots of road changes is to head out of the airport take a right towards lake mary follow it straight on until you get to the i4 then i4 right down to disney its simple we have never followed the directions given at car pickup as they take you on various toll roads.
    if you turn down lake emma road the junction before 14 about 100 yards there is the best long horn steak house very local and is full of locals but the food is brill we call after the flight and before going back to the airport it really is a good find.
    oh and remember that off ramps usually give you about a mile to get in the right lane and near and on disney most drivers dont know where there going either so dont worry :)

11. ukwdwnut

with regards to sat nav. if you are going to stay localish to all the parks etc. i wouldnt bother with satnav. ive driven everytime ive been and never felt the need to get one, never got lost either, even driving down to tampa for busch gardens. i find the sign posting to everywhere really good :)

12. keith

Thanks everyone some absolutely brilliant information there :hug2:

Mick, I know what you mean about sat nav but I'm utterly hopeless and rely on a satnav to get me from my front door to the car in the first place I'm so bad :lol: so I think it's kinda essential.

Daveann, special thanks for that route! I'll plot it before I get out there so I can see where it goes :)

We were only planning a few malls and disney, but perhaps with a car we should try and see some other places!

13. daveann

think grids keith if you miss a turn take the next and double back cause most road run parallel to each other. also look on google earth at sanford and follow the road to lake mary its straight to the i4. btw on the ramps take note of speed limit as some are more curved than others and you do need to slow for them.

coming up from disney take the sandlake road junction on the i4 follow it staight and you come to florida mall SIMPLES :) you go over john young pkw which has a big wall mart on the corner :)

14. keith

Im sOOOOOOOOO gonna get lost

15. ukwdwnut

oh ******, i think its a necessity to have one then :lol:

you will get used to driving on the other side of the road in a few minutes, i did and felt at home driving there right away, so much so i prefer driving there than here :D

16. keith

I do have an opening for Florida Chauffeur Mick if you're available? :lol:

17. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I totally agree that that is probably the best/easiest route to the area that Keith would be heading.
    My only concern would be whether the traffic on I-4 is at its usual high density levels at the time of his arrival which may put a "newbie" driver off for life!

18. daveann

i can honestly say we have never hit traffic even though you go past the city maybe we have just been lucky :)

19. keith

yep, I should have specified, I want completely empty roads, no complicated tolls (because I may not have worked out how to slow down or stop), and preferably no turns until we get there :lol:

20. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I think you need a bulldozer for that sort of route, Keith.