1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Newbie Car hirererererer :) hints/tips/warnings?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by keith, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

There are baskets if you have the exact change [in coins] and you remember to get in the correct lane! Don`t worry too much Keith, there are information signs well in advance of the tolls.

2. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    I always pre pay the toll charge with the hire company and then you can go through the express toll lanes and youcan use it on any toll road in florida

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

interesting thanks Robert!

I've heard they always try and moan to get you to upgrade, pay for extra this and that as well? Should I just ignore all that nagging?

Also there's some kind of deposit they take??

4. robertcraig

YOU dont need a deposit if they have your credit card details

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

and if you do go through a toll without paying, like we did by accident, you WILL get charged for it despite the toll attendant saying it's ok so long as you don't do it again :( plus the hire company charge a $25 dllar admin fee on top as they pay it from your card. You don't get away with it.

6. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Keith,

I think what they're talking about is the Sunpass system for the rental fleets. From what I understand, if you opt-in at the time of rental, you can use the SunPass lanes on any toll road and just drive straight through. The rental car companies will charge you either a daily rate or a flat rate for the whole time of your rental contract. However, if you don't opt-in, then you'll be responsible for the tolls yourself individually and if you try to use the SunPass lanes, you will get caught.

The rental companies have registered their fleet license plate numbers with SunPass and there is a camera system that takes a picture of your cars license plate as it passes through the toll plaza. If you're on the "I opted in" list, you're good. If you're not, they're gonna getcha!.

Tom :)macwave:... hope this helps!)

7. keith

I cant imagine we'd be going through enough toll roads to make it worthwhile to be honest :/ but perhaps I'll live to regret that thought :lol:

8. robertcraig

If you travel on the 417 to and from sandford it is worth it

9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The north/south east/west odd/even is only true for Interstates Terry and it is the other way around almost ALL odd numbered interstates run NS or in a circle almost all EVEN numbered ones run EW.

Keith on the 417 exits 6 and 3 go to Disney and they are exact change only.

10. Esmeralda

That's exactly what happened to us, we were busy chatting and weren't concentrating next thing we know we saw a camera flash :( We were in the wrong lane, the sunpass lane.

11. keith

Thanks John! :thumbsup:

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well! You are going to take a car? That's wonderful!

OK, here we go.

ALWAYS check the car carefully for damage and smell. Seriously. People spill things in those trunks and back seats and trust me on this, the Florida heat doesn't take kindly to spilled milk.

Coming out of Sanford (there is a HUGE mall there by the way :D ) you can easily take the 417 (and do have coins... those booths aren't always manned even when they should be... you'll want exact change to be safe) and that will bring you right into the Disney area that you know.

If you follow Daveann's idea of the I 4, you'll want to be alert to the time of day. If it's before 8:00 am, you'll be fine. If it's after 6:00 pm you'll be fine but the hours of 8:00 and onward to about 6:00 pm (unless there is a Magic game or other arena event, then extend the warning to later in the evening) you'll be jammed bumper to bumper in some areas. (Miles! Usually just as you pass the Lake Mary rest stop (the Longwood exit is just passed there) through WDW. MILES.

However, if you do take I 4 stay to the right. The center lane is terrible for new drivers. You'll have people overtaking you on both sides and that can be pretty unnerving sometimes. On the far right you will have to contend with drivers merging onto the roadway, but since collectively NO ONE in Orlando can merge, that's really not much of a problem.

Sat nav is up to you. It's either a g-dsend or a curse depending upon how you think of things. We have one and my final conclusion is that they are nice, but you do need some familiarity with where you are going BEFORE using it or you'll be sent round about ways or through tolls that were not necessary or brought through areas that you REALLY DON'T WANT to be in (like west of I4 in downtown Orlando). :eek:

You'll be fine. Mosey on down the road to WDW. Plan your trips, get a good map (you can pick nice ones up in Publix or Walgreens) and look at it thoroughly before you head out and all will be well.

You can take lovely little drives to areas outside the touristy bits (Winter Garden Village, eh? ;) ) and really get a feel for Florida outside WDW. :yes:

Also, you have my number!!! If you get lost call me (remember, I can't text you back) and I'll talk you to wherever you need to go. :D (Or get you hopelessly lost for hours). :mental:

Remember to NEVER pass a school bus that is stopped with blinking red lights and the stop sign showing. Instant and expensive ticket.

Remember to be highly alert to any amount of drinking. Know your limit and don't drive if you think you will be having more than a discrete glass of wine with dinner.

Ambulances and fire trucks always have the right of way. You must put on your signal (to the right usually but it's a case by case basis) and move immediately out of their path, and usually come to a stop to the side of the road.

Seat belts always (but everyone knows this now) and head lights on if your wipers are on, always....

That's the general scoop!

13. keith

Tink!!!!! :hug2: :)

Yep car booked and paid for so no going back this time!

Thanks for the great info... I must admit I was tempted by the i4 route because it looked so simple and no tolls to mess up :lol: but argh I dont fancy MILES of hold ups :/ I mean, bumper to bumper slow queues are what we're used to anyway over here on the m6 :lol: but miles of them doesn't sound great.

This visit is all about outside Disney. Sure we've got a few Disney things booked and have APs so we'll want to do a few days there but really I hope that we can venture out a bit and see a few things we wouldn't normally "risk" the large taxi fare on.

Definitely want to go back to winter garden village though and I'll probably have to bug you for the best route yet again :lol: :hug2:

14. Esmeralda

Google Orlando airport routes.

Orlandomaps.co.uk (Mapmans website) Great map to have.

15. keith

ooo I do believe I have one of those maps although a few years old, hopefully it'll be up to date enough to use! good point!

Stupid question but what's the speed limit over there if not displayed? or is it always displayed?

16. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Don't go with an old map. The roads and exits change too often for that.

Speed limits are supposed to be posted, the trick is, they aren't always conveniently posted. Speed limits vary with where you are. 55 in some areas, 70 in others, 35 in others and usually 15 or 20 when it's a school zone (WATCH for those carefully).

The I 4 route won't be that bad, and it's a good one to try. It's the main artery east and west (although it truly does run north and south from WDW to about Sanford) and you'll want a feel for it.

So, what sorts of things are you hoping to try this time, see, do outside of Disney? Tampa is a nice area... you going to try your hand at a Ray's game? :D :D (Hey, the quintessential American experience).

You could take a drive to Vero Beach, and check out Disney's Vero Beach Resort. :yes: Kind of a long drive down and back for one day, but surely do-able. :yes:

You can do the Winter Park Farmer's Market! :mental: Well, those of us who like our veggies find it a thrill. :lol:

St. Augustine beckons... Sarasota (you'll LOVE it there) even venture into Arcadia if you dare. True Florida that. :yes:

Well, I'll natter your ear off if you let me, so I'll try to shut up, but if you want some recommendations just give me a feel for what you and Mrs. Keith want to do. :yes:

17. keith

ooo see now I'm going to have to go and read up about all those things! :yes:

I'd love to see a Ray's game! Hadn't even THOUGHT of that! Is it mega far away?

To be honest, everything you've listed sounds wonderful and I'd love to try them ALL! :lol: We're far less Disney this time especially since we have a three week marathon over christmas/new year at the end of the year. So much more interested in what we can go see this time