Newbie WDW Bound

Discussion in 'Intro's and Welcomes!' started by Brien Cook, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Brien Cook

Brien Cook New Member

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a few weeks now and finally got around to joining.

Our family is going to Orlando on 11/15 for nine days. We're going for a conference and of course pleasure. I have never been to WDW and have been doing a lot of planning. As a newbie to the parks I thought I throw out what are plans are and get any feedback that may improve our experience.

Since this is partially a work related trip and we're meeting friends at different times throughout our trip we're having to be flexible with our plans. As it stands now we're going to Animal Kingdom on Sunday 11/16, Magic Kingdom on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is a rest day and to do anything local we want. Thursday through Saturday is our conference, which I will only attend one day but my wife will go for all three days. So my daughter and I are open to another park on Thursday and may go with other friends arriving the day before. Finally, on Sunday, the day before we leave will be Epcot.

I'm hoping our 10 year old will be able to handle all the walking, especially those first 3 days. She complains a lot when we walk to dogs for an hour on the weekends. We are all bringing new running shoes, which should be comfortable. I bought her a small super lightweight backpack and I will be bringing my CamelBak. Aside from the water, I wanted something to keep misc. small items in. I will also be bringing my GoPro and hope to get some great shots on rides.

So here are some questions I have. First off, how much cash should we bring? Assuming most places take credit cards, how necessary is cash.

Also, I was able to do our Fast Passses at the 30-day mark for each date as they came available. However, I wasn't able to do one for the Seven Dwarfs ride. Is that because those staying at the resorts took all the FP's 60-days in advance? Do you think any will come available for that ride the days leading up to it or on that day? Otherwise, we're planning on hitting that ride first thing Tuesday morning.

Some of the friends we're meeting their are staying at Swan Inn and Dolphin. We're all planning on going to Animal Kingdom together. Will we be able to park at their hotel and take the tram to the amusement park with them? We're staying at a non-Disney property.

These are some of the questions I have off the top of my head. I'll probably have more soon. Hopefully, I can get some insight from the pros on how to make our experience better.

2. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Hi didn't want to read and run!

Hopefully someone will come and answer in more detail.

As for fastpass they have a different pool for fast passes on the day.

So there will be more released on the day.

Anyway welcome to the forum. These guys are a lovely bunch.

:)

3. uscwest

uscwest Well-Known Member

Hello Brien and hearty welcome to Disney Secrets. Sounds like have a good plan. As for cash you may want some for things like ice cream sodas etc. but other than that credit cards are widely accepted. 7 Dwarfs is very popular and the standby line fills and lengthens quickly. A 10 year old should be able to handle the walking. We've taken 5 nine year old and one almost 7 year old grandchildren with no problems.

The Swan/Dolphin charge more to park than Disney does I believe.

4. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Hello and welcome! :)

I take minimal cash with me, it's really only used for concession stands and carts. Last trip, I came back with exactly the cash I left with!

For Seven Dwarves Mine Train, have you tried booking a FP for one of your party, then trying overlapping times for the rest? Sometimes it's possible to do that when a block booking is unavailable.

5. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hello and Welcome to Disney Secrets!

If you try to park at the Swan or Dolphin, you will have to pay to park. You can park at the Boardwalk Inn and then walk over to the Swan and Dolphin and use their transport. :yes: There is no charge to park at the Boardwalk as so many people go to enjoy the boardwalk itself. Be sure to tell the guard at the gate you are going to visit the boardwalk. :yes: (You won't be fibbing as you will have to walk along it to get to the other two resorts). :)

It is a lot of walking, period. If the child isn't up to the task then you can rent a stroller. I've had one for a six year old. Our ten year old does a good job of it though. However, we don't necessarily stay in the park from open to close. Comfortable shoes are critical. If you feel the merest hint of a blister go immediately to first aid (one in each park) and get some bandaids for the hot area of your foot. They will help a lot.

Cash really is useful only at the little ice cream carts, popcorn carts, etc. Unless, you wish to control your budget to a certain amount per day. Then cash is much easier to monitor than those easily swiped credit cards. :)

Be sure to bring a change of comfortable shoes, by the way. If it rains and your feet get wet, the shoes very well may not dry before you need them again.

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Welcome! Just take one of us with you to help you :D ME preferably.

7. Brien Cook

Brien Cook New Member

Thank you for all the feedback.

I'm happy to hear we don't need a lot of cash. The parking at the Boardwalk is a good idea. We'll only be going to Swan and Dolphin a couple of times, the rest will be parking at the parks.

How many of you bring a light jacket in case of rain?

8. Tink

Not a jacket, unless it is waterproof. You'll want something that covers all of your clothing as the rain will wick down to the edge of the jacket and soak your shorts/trousers/whatever it is that the edge is on. Umbrellas are fairly useless, although I've been known to use them because I wear glasses and am not happy with watery vision. :D Ponchos are available in all the parks, but the price of them is pretty ridiculous anymore. Pick up some cheap ones somewhere (you can get them nearly anywhere off property) and toss them when your holiday is over. I think Publix carries some that are 99cents!

9. Tink

Oh geez. Having said all that, you may want a light jacket or sweater if the AC in the buildings is too cold for you, especially if you get wet in the rain or on one of the water attractions.

10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Everyone buys those cheap throwaway ponchos because the heat is too much for a jacket and the ponchos stop you getting soaked in those sudden showers that dry up as quickly as they came. Alternatively you could go onto a camping site and buy them beforehand but as far as I can tell everyone just goes to the supermarket over there and gets one.