1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Next version of iphone firmware previewed

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

you can use it but it costs you more, it costs 4 texts to send 1 if you see what i mean, all the prices can be found online- or they have bolt ons for people specifically who travel a lot- for instance you can buy data to use over there. YOu will need to notify them before you go though, and if you haven't had the contract long sometimes they will make you pay a deposit.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Fully recommend the iphone, really great device.

In terms of US with O2, as Britchick says it all works but costs more basically.

The calls cost multiple pounds and don't forget, you pay to RECEIVE calls over there too so even if someone calls you, it'll get expensive quickly.

Some people set voicemail and there's a trick here. If you set divert to voicemail BEFORE you leave the UK, it's cheap/free. If you set it once you're in the states, you'll pay for the call to get to the states and back to your voicemail so again, expensive.

Texts are probably the most useful way to use it abroad since they don't cost that much and you don't pay to receive on o2.

The easiest way to go bankrupt though is to leave the data connection live. that's a small fortune per Megabyte. Fortunately the Iphone knows when it's roaming abroad and defaults to turning the data connection off.

3. Britchick

that is sooooooooo clever!!

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

<center>[​IMG]</center>

5. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

Thanks guys - so can I use GPS over there - or is that chargeable too? I just think it would be really cool to walk roond the parks one day watching myself move on the GPS! Sad, I know, but it would make me happy!

I am so close to buying one of these - and that £45 Quidco offer is very tempting.
    Have you ordered yours yet Britchick?

6. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

:drool:

7. keith

You can use GPS but if you were to pull down any maps over GPRS/3G you'd be back to paying a lot of money for the data access

8. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I thought, in all honestly I would use 1 or 2 apps and just use the iphone as a normal phone but I am never off it - The maps are amazing ( we were in town the other day and I needed a photographic shop - tapped it in and plop 5 pins dropped into the map and told me how to walk there), the internet connectivity through 3G is much faster than when I was on dialup and I think equates to the very first days of broadband - we were driving to an animal place the other day and Lisa said 'ooh I hope its open as its before easter' So I open up their website and get the opening details - its one of those gadgets that you can't see the point of before you have one and then when you get one you can't see how you did without it.

I utterly love my Iphone :D

It has some great astronomy apps as well :yes:

9. keith

Story of me buying the iphone :)

Our company manages email for people basically. We get people and businesses away from awful @hotmail.com,yahoo etc addresses and onto their own proper names john@smith.com etc. So when new email capable phones come out, we have to make sure we work with them.

Now I have hundreds of phones, I hoard them :lol: and whenever a new one came out, I was first in line. I was known for having a different phone every week (sometimes more than one a week ;) how's that for sad.

Anyway! fast forward to the iphone announcement. We all watched it and everyone was all enthusiastic apart from me. I liked a proper keyboard and couldnt ever imagine a phone with no MMS, no keyboard and it looked a bit big too!

I ended up at the trafford centre to buy one for work for us to test in a HUGE queue of people on the first night of sale. SIGH. Again, they were all so excited and I just wasn't, at all.

Got the thing home that evening and started trying to make sure all our email services worked with it and I think it was about 4am before I realised the time! I was completely sold on it.

Instead of one, or more, new phones a week, I've used an iphone and only an iphone, from the night it came out in the UK till today.

It's an absolutely superb device

10. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I think Chris and Keith have got it one :yes: I remember saying to Keith that I didn't like the iPod touch.. I thought the functions where good but it just wasn't practical. I went to NYC and I was going to buy myself a time-capsule..... until I noticed the iPod touch! Bought it as a 'carpe-diem' thing and fell in love!!! :yes: Can't wait to get my hands on the iPhone :wiggle:

11. Britchick

i ordered a 16gb black one!!!

12. Skywatcher

:evil:

one less of them one more of us- congrats Brit you will adore it :D

13. Britchick

:yes:off to see which aps i want

any suggestions?

14. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Too many available to offer much in the way of suggestions. However, I rather like this Sudoko.
    This Mahjong game.
    And of course, Shazam which has been a lifesaver for me at times! Especially when I can't quite remember the name of that tune!

Tom :)macwave:... still trying to be useful)

15. Skywatcher

With a 16 GB you can have hundreds - planets is cool :D

16. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

I went into the o2 store today - didn't come home with an iPhone.:thumbsdown:

But, when I go back tomorrow I'll be getting an 8Gb black one, with a business use contract! Not sure how that happened, but he asked me what I did for a living, I said I was a manager, aand he didn't care what of, just suggested the business package. So, 24 month contract, with a replacement iPhone after 12 months!:happybounce:

Someone tell me I'm doing the right thing?????

17. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

CARPE DIEM!!! :D

18. Jax1970

Jax1970 Imagineer

I did! Thanks for the advice - 8Gb iPhone sitting pretty alongside keyboard on the desk!

19. Skywatcher

20. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

Tweetdeck is awesome but don't waste your money on Pocket God unless you have the same mentality as a 6 year old boy who likes flicking people into volcanos.