1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Niamh's first trip to the zoo

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by josh.p., Mar 22, 2009.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Today myself and Jade took Niamh for her first trip to the zoo today for Mother's day!

We got up nice and early to give Jade and Mum their gifts, had breakfast, and we where out the house by about 10. Niamh was wearing a jacket with bear ears on as so that she is dressed for the occasion :point:;
    [​IMG]
    After queing, we where in the zoo for a little before 11 so we went straight to the elephant house.

Not sure if everyone will be familiar with Chester zoo, but the elephant house is the first thing you come to, they have an indoor bit that has african bird enclosures, aswell as the elephants sleeping quarters, and lots of info about elephants. We went through there, saw some fishes, a turtle and some birds. I realised that my camera didn't have much battery :slap: so I didn't take pics of the less interesting animals. :yes:

The elephants where outside but Niamh woke up demanding to be fed so we went over to the cafe to feed her.

After this we went around the outdoor part of the elephants enclosure, and the smaller ellies treated us to watching them play in the water whilst their Mums took turns to supervise them :wiggle: All together now.....
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

After this we headed over to what used to be the red pandas. We couldn't find them but instead we saw the new butterfly exhibit! My sister thought it would be different to what it was and quickly had to run through. She is sooo scared of fluttery things, but she thought they would be netted. It was brilliant and there was butterflies fluttering everywhere- their colours are stunning. A pair decided that they wanted to mate on jades shoulder and she screamed and let go of the pram!!! :ROFL: She was quickly ushered out looking very embarassed and a few people sniggered at her :point: I pretended I didn't know her and carried on taking pics of the butterflies :yes: Unfortunatley I didn't get very many good ones as my lense kept steaming up, as did my glasses. (Didn't put contacts in today as I forgot to take them out last night so they where still in their solution)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then over to my favourite bit... the reptile house, where we saw;
    Galapagos tortoises;
    [​IMG]
    Tutarras;
    [​IMG]
    and lots of pretty birds;
    [​IMG]
    On our way out we got the obligatory flamingo photo's for aunty dorothy;
    [​IMG]
    And then over to the okapi who was very shy;
    [​IMG]
    Then before going to the new orangutan enclosure we visited the giraffes;
    [​IMG]

Gone a bit OTT with photo's so... Part two... coming soon!
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

I LOVE the flamingo picture Josh thank you :hug2:

Did you sister wonder why you had to take pictures of the flamingos :lol:
  3. josh.p.

I told her that it was for one of Niamh's honourary aunties and she just sorted of looked at me like I had gone insane :point:

Pt Two coming up... just uploading some more pics :yes:
  4. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

i love the elephants.....and the tortoises.....and the flamingo.....and the giraffe, but most of all that cute little bear in your first pic! :tongue:
  5. josh.p.

After the giraffe... we finally got over to the new orangutan house. This is really good but I always feel bad seeing orangutans in captivity. I know they are endangered and captive breeding programs are extremely important, but it is just upsetting to know that they have to be there in order to keep their species alive. :sorry:

The glass in here is particularly hard to take pics through, but I tried my hardest;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We then heard a huge kaffufle down at another viewing window;
    [​IMG]
    The new mummy orangutan (who had a baby orangutan in feb) had decided it was time to show everyone her baby;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was so hectic so it was really really hard to get a good shot without the reflection from the glass! :sorry:

Then it was time for the sealions to get fed;
    [​IMG]
    Niamh got a bit annoyed that she was getting no food so we had to feed her too;
    [​IMG]

It was nearly closing time so we had to whizz around everything that we wanted to do;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went through the bat house (Jade and Niamh stayed outside) and a bat flew into my back and made me feel guilty for getting in his way

Then we saw the cheetahs;
    [​IMG]
    and some then took some pics of the giant pinny gig things for Dawn;
    [​IMG]
    The netting made it hard to focus the camera so they ended up blurry.

A quick de-tour through the monkey house saw them giving some children a life lesson..
    I won't post the pic as it is probably :theline: but we overheard an interesting conversation between

"Daddy... what are they doing?!"
    "Oh... their erm.... just..."
    "WHAT?!"
    "I don't know, you'll have to ask your Mum!"
    "Muuuuuuuuuumm"

My camera ran out of battery after this, but it's a good job as it was time to go home!! Niamh basically slept right through her day out, I suppose it was mainly for our benefit :taunt:, Then we bought her two really nice books from the giftshop, one was the hungry caterpillar, and one was about a little butterfly. It is a really nice story and she will love it when she's older :yes:
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

What a great day out you all had :yes:
    I love the shots of the elephants in the water Josh....and that baby orang utan is adorable.
  7. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

:) Thank you for sharing your outting with us...I love all the pics :)
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Ooooh, start reading to her now. :yes: It's not too soon for her to get used to the sound of grammar and the song of the words. Seriously!

I wonder if the Hungry Caterpillar is the same one we once had for Seth? It's a nice story if it is!

Get a nice alphabet book too... I love books and reading to children. :yes:

Your photos are wonderful! I particularly like the shots of the primates and that very pretty little bird with the red feathers.

Tell Jade she is pretty!!! It's the first shot we've had of her, isn't it? :yes: Love the baby's outfit. Too cute! :D :D

Thanks for the tortoise photos. One day, I shall go to the Galapagos! I shall! I shall! :yes:
  9. josh.p.

This one;
    [​IMG]
    It is a miniture version with a few other stories included with it too :yes: Mum sings incy wincy spider to her so we bough a finger puppet of an incy-wincy spider toy and she follows it with her eyes. She has started smiling too :yes: I call her "Niamhy noo" and she always smiles off it cos I say it in a silly voice :point:

Thank you for the compliments RE: the pics. I will tell Jade that you said- she will be made up. She can fit back into her regular jeans again now so she is feeling pretty pleased with herself.

Please take me with you!! failing that... you can just come to my house and see my torts!
  10. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Heheehee..yea I got a pic once of Lions mating at the LA zoo...

LOVE LOVE LOVE okapi they are just really pretty...and the mumma orangatan and baby..too sweet!
  11. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

Great photos Josh. Love the elephants and the "tangs". Niamh looks so cute as well.
  12. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Aww she is growing away. Glad you all had a lovely day.
  13. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Lovely photos Josh, sounds like you had a really lovely day!
    Ive been watching a programme on Fiver about Chester Zoo - it looks really good there, its a bit far away for me to visit but it does look lovely. Enclosures look a decent size for them aswell
  14. josh.p.

It is a great zoo. we are lucky to live so close really. They do a lot for breeding and conservation.

Thanks for all the comments RE: pics
  15. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We used to visit Chester Zoo every year on our way to holidaying in Wales (pre Florida) and found it to be a great zoo. What amazed me was the cleanliness of the place too....oh, but an elephant did throw a stone at me one day which missed my head but did move my fringe, that is how good a shot it was.
  16. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I absolutely love zoos and have been to plenty of them. Never get bored. Lovely photos. I saw someone in your photos taking a photo of the baby orangutan with a camera phone...don't ppl still believe in real cameras??? :)
  17. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

What great photos Josh and what a sweetie she is.

Margaret
  18. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Josh...Niamh is gorgeous! Great report and pics....strangely enough I was there the week before and found your missing red panda :yes:

Attached Files:

19. josh.p.

I think it was a little kid :unsure: I agree.. the amount of people who where taking photo's on their phone was shocking really, even more so than last time I went, which was only a few months prior to this visit. We go there a lot because it is so local and it is a brilliant day out! Yet, we always take a 'proper' camera!

:eek: Where?! Was it still in the enclosure by the butterfly house? It looked like it had all been taken apart when I went... there used to be plenty of big high trees, loads of posts and little hidey boxes for them, now it seems as though their enclosure had been taken down.
  20. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

No, it's moved from there. You know at the very top eastern end where the kangaroos are (even though they didn't come out to see us) and some kind of dogs? You take the path towards the owls from there...I can't remember who used to be in there as it's so many years since I was there.