1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Not what we had in mind..A Pookie Story..

Discussion in 'Birthdays and Celebrations!' started by Shellyamc, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

My doctor lied..he lied a lot..

I'm sorry this is a long story, but here it goes..

Friday night Dh and I went to sleep as usual..nothing exciting. About 3am I woke up and just didn't feel right. I thought I just had to potty, so I did that and then tried to go back to sleep. The uncomfortable feeling just kind of stayed so I woke up Dh and we decided to call my Doctor. I told him what was going on and he asked if it could be the flu or anything like that. After going back and forth for a little while he decided that he would make the crazy pregnant woman feel better and said to head to the hospital and he would check me out. I called my Mom and Dad (about 4:30am now) and said someone needed to come and sleep on the couch so we didn't have to wake up Katie. Mom comes and Dh and I head out. It is cold and snowing..we didn't really expect that. We were chatting and I would be a bit uncomfortable and then the feeling would go away for about 10 minutes or so. I figured if they were contractions then I had time and they would just stop them with medicine like they did with Katie. We were about 10 minutes away from the hospital and things started to go downhill. I was suddenly in a LARGE amount of pain. It was pretty constant and we were starting to get worried. Within a few minutes I was yelling, squirming all over the seat, and in general freaking out. The louder I got the faster poor Dh was driving. We were only about 3 minutes from the hospital and I knew the baby was coming. I could feel the pressure and I knew we were in big trouble. I was still screaming (did I mention it hurt??) and Dh was doing 75 in a 30 when we got to the hospital. He ran in to get help and I don't think they realized the situation was as bad as it was. They asked me to go out of the car and I told them (sobbing) I couldn't. They helped me stand up and my water broke right away..and I felt the baby's head. All they had was a wheelchair, so they called a code S (medical emergency outside the hospital) and were coming with a stretcher. Too late..2 seconds later out came baby into Daddy's arms. There was a nurse there holding onto me by that point and about 10,000 people running in my direction. Yes, I was standing next to the car in the circle in front of the hospital. At this point I just broke..I can honestly tell you that I thought he was dead. I couldn't look or move..I could only cry. Then he started screaming. We wrapped him up in Daddy's coat, they tossed me into the wheelchair and ran me up to the 3rd floor. Baby went to the warmer and I went right to the bed to get an IV. His Apgar score was 8 1/2 out of 10, he was screaming, and peeing so he was doing very well. He was cold and early, but that seemed to be it. I was honestly in really great shape as well. I was angry that I still didn't get my epidural. They said they would see about getting me one to take home. My doctor got there soon after and I needed 2 little stitches and nothing else. With Katelyn I needed around 30-40. I guess I did better on my own. So there you have it. I realize it is a funny story and I don't mind at all if you see it that way. I notice that when I tell it..it never sounds quite that funny. :sigh: My son was in fact born in the parking lot outside the hospital.

We are both fine. He is in the NICU and will be for at least another week. He started out on oxygen, antibiotics, and all kinds of other things, but most of that is gone now. He is up to eating 10mls at each feeding, no antibiotics, no oxygen or sensors, and now he is just getting some fluid through an IV. He is also on the "billy lights" until they are sure he isn't jaundice.

Marc Nicholas Cristman
    Born February 28,2009
    5:27am
    He weighed 4lbs 13ozs
    He was 18 1/4 inches long

He would have been about 8 or 9 lbs and around 23 inches if he had gone to term. I will get the pictures off the camera and post them ASAP.

You asked for no pacing, right?
    :unsure:
  2. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Oh my gosh Shelly :bugeye: I'm sat here reading and my mouth just dropped open (that clash was my chin hitting the desk)

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS

I'm still in shock so I can only imagine how it was for you! There's no pacing with little Marc that's for sure.
    Awe, welcome to the World Marc Nicholas :hug2:
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oh my G-d. I have leaking going all over my face! You poor precious woman! :hug2: What an event!
  4. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Oh my goodness Shelly :hug2: :hug2: first of all congratulations to you all on the birth of little Marc :hug2:

You poor thing, I can see how you would have been terrified :hug2: I am just so happy that both Mommy and baby are well :hug2:
  5. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

I had to come back to check this thread wasn't my imagination!

I'm so pleased for you Shelly :hug2:
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I can't even type! I hit send when I wasn't done! :mental:

I can't even imagine what you been through. Perhaps one day I'll find it funny, but nothing too funny about it now. I am sick to think you thought your sweet son was not living. :( :(

It's wonderful to be able to congratulate you and your DH (and Katie) on the birth of Marc Nicholas!!! (That's Seth's middle name! :D :D ).

I hope he is ok to go home soon! :yes:
  7. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

OMG Shelly! My heart was pounding reading that!

Massive Congratulations to you all!

Welcome to the world baby Marc - so happy you are all OK :hug2:
  8. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

OHMILORDY! Thank you god that you are both alright. Sheesh I blame that Josh.... he left that fork on the floor and you must have stabbed your toe on it... JOSH! You wait until I get a hold of you young lad....
  9. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Oh Shelly honey :hug2: It's so not funny now, but I promise you'll be able to tease him about this all you want when he's older.

I can't wait to see some picture of baby Marc :thumbsup:

Since we missed the pacing can we call bounce instead :bounce::bounce:
  10. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

:eek: That's taking no pacing to a new level! :eek:

Oh--my--goodness! I can't believe they left you standing in the hospital parking lot with your DH catching Pookie! In a snowstorm, no less!

Congratulations, Shelly, Chris and Katelyn on your new arrival!

Welcome to our world, Marc Nicholas! :D
  11. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Congratulations and welcome to the world XXXXXXX Marc is going to have a story to tell about his sudden entrance into the world. So glad it all turned out good hun XXXXXXX
  12. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Well... first of all...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY MARC!!!!

Know.. the story.... it must have been so scary .... :hug2: I am so glad you are all ok, and that MArc is doing great!

The story doesnt seem funny at the moment, but in a few years time it will be! I promise....

For the time being just focus on healing both mentally and physically and on preparing for him to come home.

As for the weight.... Tatiana weighed barely 5lbs and she was born at 39 weeks.... and she is doing just fine...
  13. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Same here....

and I got goosebumps just from reading...

:hug2:
  14. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Oh my goodness!!!! I totally didn't expect this story to end the way it did. I was betting on false labor or some such thing. And to think, this was the big story. Definitely no time to pace. I can only imagine what you and your husband were going through.

Welcome to the world Marc! I hope it treats you well!
  15. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

Aww Shelly! You give that baby sweet little snuggles for all of us...In like a lion I tell ya!
  16. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I wonder if this quick, determined entrance will tell us a little bit about his personality later on?? :D
  17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Oh Shelly! I had NO idea this is what I was going to read!

Bless your heart honey :hug2: I've always heard that second babies were a breeze and I guess they are right!

It may not seem funny now but you will get MILES out of this story when he is older :tongue:

So what is the little one going to go by? Marc or Nicholas?

And when can we have some pictures??

I am sooo happy. Congratulations honey :hug2::hug2::hug2:
  18. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Ok. One second. I just need to jump start my heart again, and mop this wet mess off my face...

And I can only imagine what you and your DH were going through. :hug2:

You sweet wonderful woman. :hug1:

I'm so glad things are ok. That wee one is destined for enormous things. Enormous things indeed. :yes:

Welcome to the world Marc...now you just behave yourself for a bit!
  19. Shellyamc

Big :hug2: to all of you. You were the first people I thought of when this happened. I couldn't believe I had just written an update that said he was going to be overdue before bed and then that morning I gave birth :slap:

Dh brought this laptop up to the hospital, but we couldn't get any connection. At least I knew no one was left pacing for 3 days because you didn't know what was going on!

I am going to call in a few minutes and check on him. I am having some hard Mommy moments here with my little girl and home and my baby boy in the hospital 25 minutes away. :sorry: I hope he comes home fast.

I'm going to get the camera now, so I will post pics a bit later. I know better than to wait too long :surrender:
  20. Shellyamc

He wants what he wants WHEN he wants it :yes: We can see that already.