1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

October 2012 - Part VII

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by uscwest, Oct 23, 2012.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We weren’t sure what we were going to do today when we got up. Our original plan was a quick visit to MK followed by a final trip over to EPCOT. But first we needed breakfast. I managed to get us a spot at Olivia’s at Old Key West. This really is a hidden secret. We arrived at this beautiful DVC resort a bit early, walked through the general store and then out back to the marina, where we grabbed a cup of coffee. Our ADR time arrived as we were drinking the coffee so we went inside. Donna and I discussed the possibility of perhaps trying to find someone who would sell us points so that we could stay here some time.

Inside we were quickly seated. Our server was Jerry. I think he was our server the last time we ate there. Donna ordered Sombrero Beach Omelet - three-egg omelet with ham, green pepper, onion and cheddar topped with sour cream and pico de gallo $10.99, while I had the Conch Republic Omelet - with shrimp, avocado, and Pepper Jack Cheese $13.99. Both were delicious. While we were eating breakfast we received a text from our dear friends, with whom we had eaten at the Yachtsman saying that Fantasyland was open again. I texted back saying that I hoped it would still be open when we got there and she told us that it was open all day. So now we knew what we were going to do with our day.

After breakfast it was off to the MK. We took the Ferry across the Seven Seas Lagoon and once inside the park we went straight for Fantasyland. We got a beautiful view of the Beast’s Castle, though we couldn’t get in to see the restaurant. Our first stop was Enchanted Tales with Belle. The wait said 40 minutes but I didn’t time it and the line kept moving. It takes you inside Belle’s cottage and into Maurice’s workshop. That is where the magic begins and I won’t say any more except to say that it was AMAZING. When we finished here we headed over to Gaston’s Tavern. He was standing outside posing. I let Donna go first to pose alone with him for pictures. Then I joined her and the photographer had me flex my muscles, or lack thereof, with Gaston. I haven’t seen the pictures yet. After the pictures we went inside and ordered a LeFou’s Brew. Donna got the goblet and I got the mug. It tasted much better than it sounded when I read about it but I still wouldn’t want to drink it on a regular basis as it was quite sweet. The Tavern is actually quite small and only seats about 50 or so guests. Since we had a late breakfast we weren’t hungry but the Pork Shank $7.99 was huge and looked fantastic. That is why there is a next time. The inside has a picture of Gaston over the fireplace and has antlers everywhere. We drank our brews and headed for Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid. This is a ride in a clam shell that takes you “under the sea”. At the end there is a photo session with Ariel in her Grotto. You can see pieces of the work that are going on in the Dwarfs Mine Ride.

Upon leaving Ariel’s we headed into the gift shop. There is a lot of memorabilia from Beauty and the Beast here and had we had more time to send stuff back to the resort Donna might have purchased a few of the glass pieces. But we didn’t want to carry it around. From here we headed over to the TTA People Mover and rode twice. Then it was one more trip to The Haunted Mansion. Walking back we tried to avoid the three o’clock parade but it started from the front of the park and we walked right into it, so we stood and watched. On our way to the front we passed by the little grotto, behind the Christmas store where we saw Tiana, but were told she wouldn’t be back until 3:30. Leaving the park we took the monorail back to the TTC, got our car and headed back to our resort.

Dinner tonight was at Citrico’s in the Grand Floridian. We drove over; valet parked the car and went inside. We intended to go to Mizner’s bar and enjoy a drink before dinner. However, since Gasparilla’s is temporarily closed they have turned Mizner’s into a quick serve restaurant. So it was into the bar at Citrico’s. We had a wonderful server, Lynette, who had first performed in the bicentennial parade at WDW back in 1976. We had a lovely chat with her. As our ADR time approached I went out to the check in and checked in. We were seated within five minutes.

Our server was Lonzy, another server we have had before. He is fantastic. The restaurant presented us two glasses of Champagne. For her appetizer Donna ordered Arancini - Crispy Risotto with Crimini Mushrooms, Asiago, and Charred Tomato Coulis $10.00. I had the Artisanal Romaine Salad - with Crispy anchovy, citrus-garlic aioli, parmesan frico, meyer lemon preserves $12.00. Donna’s main course was Berkshire Pork Two Ways - Rotisserie Pork Tenderloin and Roasted Berkshire Pork Belly with aged white cheddar polenta, escarole, Brentwood corn salsa and cherry gastrique $32.00. The Pork Belly was a bit fatty but she said the meat part was delicious. When I first saw the menu one item leaped out at me and I never wavered. I ordered Pan-seared Florida Black Grouper - Cioppino with spaghetti di nero, New Smyrna Beach little neck clams, mussels and rock shrimp $38.00 which was absolutely superb. We both enjoyed glasses of wine with our meal. We were wearing our Anniversary buttons and were seated between two other couples also celebrating anniversaries. The couple on our left was celebrating 50 years. They were Jerry and Carolyn from New York. They were a very pleasant couple and we enjoyed talking to them. For dessert we shared Warm Chocolate-Banana Torte - with Vanilla Ice Cream and Handcrafted Belgium Couverture Chocolate Crown $11.00 and a pot of pressed coffee. All in all it was a fantastic dinner.

After dinner we walked out back and down to the dock near Narcoossee’s. From there we watched the Electric Light Pageant and the Wishes Fireworks. A beautiful evening complete we headed back to our resort for our final night.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I wasn't sure what you were doing that's why I sent you the text. I couldn't believe it when we got there and everything was open.

It truly is beautiful there :yes:
  3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

It surely is, and we didn't mind the waits at all. Can't wait to give that Pork Shank a try. And BOG.
  4. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

I can hardly wait to take Natalia, she adores Belle!
  5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Mari she will love it :yes: