1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Off site suite advice.

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Vikki, May 11, 2014.

1. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We're considering staying off site for a while on our next trip (shock, horror), and were hoping for some advice.

We'd really like somewhere that's a suite. Ben and Ava will be 9 and 5 so they'd prefer separate beds ideally. So either a two bed suite or one which has two beds in the living room (kind of like OKW with the pull out sofa and pull out chair). This will be a time when we may explore Universal, but may also be at WDW too, so am not sure which location would be best. I've been looking at some prices and a lot seem really reasonable in comparison to WDW.

So where would you recommend?
  2. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

We've stayed at the sheraton vistana villages a few times before and last year. They are a great resort and fairly close to disney. I think it was a 15 min drive for WDW, bit further for universal. Would highly recommend these.
    The 2 bed apartments have 2 double beds in the second room and a sofa bed. They may do the sofa bed and pull out chair in a one bed but I'm not 100% sure on this.
  3. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

We used to quite like embassy suites, they have a king bed and sofa bed in the lounge with microwave and fridge. The thing that we really liked though was the cooked to order breakfast you could get in the price of the room.

I reckon for the price of these suites though you could get a villa, is there a reason why you're not looking at that?
  4. Vikki

I really don't know.....we've just never considered a villa
  5. Vikki

Essentially, we've always done on site, but with us considering an AP, we're looking at other options
  6. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

My first choice would obviously be a villa *cough*. The private pool alone tips the scale.

However, if Universal is your main aim this trip, you should be looking for a place around the International Drive area. I know Marriott do suites, they're on the south side of International Drive, so it's still a fair drive (with traffic) and also they're quite expensive.
  7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

what about cabana bay at US? they are suites. Also we've stayed at hampton inn and suites and doubletree suites (yes i like the Hilton brand lol). Don't forget if you do stay at one of these suite hotels to join their loyalty program. We've had lots of free nights in the past :)
  8. Vikki

I would consider a universal hotel to be honest, but I don't think cabana bay has the front of line pass. We may well do a universal hotel for a couple of nights, then off site for a week or so, then to WDW for a week or two. We're totally open really.
    Maybe a villa should come into our ideas. Just never considered one before.
  9. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I would say a villa would be perfect, but I am biased as that's what I prefer.

With a villa, the children will have separate bedrooms or if they want to share there will more than likely be a twin room.

Your room will be huge and have an ensuite, there will also be 1 or 2 more bathrooms depending on the size of the villa you choose. There is also normally a toilet downstairs in a house.

Imagine, the children have gone to bed, you and Anthony are sat out by the pool drinking a nice cold glass of wine or may he prefers an ice cold beer, whilst the sun goes down.

In the morning, you make a cup of tea and sit outside drinking it before everyone else gets up, then you all have breakfast on the lanai in peace and quiet with just the wildlife in the background.

You can go to the supermarket and buy fresh fruit and vegetables and just about anything you want. You don't have to eat at the villa if you don't want to, there are lots of nice, but cheap in comparison to Disney, restaurants that you can go to. You will have ice cold drinks in the fridge whenever you want them, you can freeze bottles of water to take to the parks with you the next day. If you really wanted to I guess you could make sandwiches to take with you as well.

You may decide to have a couple of meals at the villa, sometimes just having something normal is wonderful. Some villas even have a BBQ outside :D

Then there is the pool :) your own private pool where you can float around, the children can play in the shallow end. A lanai all to yourselves, so you can sit just about anywhere you want to and you never know if you choose the right place there may even be a Jacuzzi or hot tub there as well.

Down days or afternoons just sat by the pool are so relaxing, just what you need after all the hustle and bustle of the parks.

There is only one thing, villas become addictive, once you've stayed in one, you will find it very difficult to go back to a one roomed hotel :)

I think you would love it, I really do and if you have the AP you won't pay for parking.

Have I sold it to you yet :D
    Suebeattie likes this.
  10. Tony G

Aye carumba - you've sold me! :hearts:
    Wendy likes this.
  11. Vikki

Oh wow. You've sold me! Might happen to mention all of that to Anthony!
    Wendy likes this.
  12. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

13. Suebeattie

You've sold it to me too Wendy. You could make a living recommending villas ;)
    Wendy likes this.
  14. Wendy

:lol: Sue, I've thought about becoming a travel agent in the past, I've helped so many people plan their holidays and find out prices etc for them.

Maybe one day - although you do realise I will be saying that when I'm 70 - if I'm still here :lol:
    MystikPiglit likes this.
  15. Wendy

It really is a wonderful holiday Vikki, you have all the madness and fun of the parks but you get to leave it all behind and relax. I can never imagine staying anywhere else.

Hope Anthony likes the idea :D
  16. Tony G

Wendy, would you accept villa time as payment?!?!

:homer:
    Wendy likes this.
  17. Wendy

Hhhm, let me think about that for about a second :lol: yes :D :wink:
  18. Suebeattie

Travel agent would be my all time favourite job as well!!! Love planning holidays :)
    Wendy likes this.
  19. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tony, you couldn't ask for a better private booking agent then our Wendy! She is so detail oriented and takes completely good care of the people she helps. I know this first hand!!

I'd second Wendy's recommendation, Vikki, but if for some reason you don't want a luxurious villa :D then Homewood Suites (part of the Hilton chain of hotels) are usually quite nice. Embassy Suites in Altamonte Springs (yep, a bit of a drive, but not far- Herself drives from our home in Winter Garden to Altamonte Springs every day for work) is new and super, super nice. It's right off the I4 exit too, so easy on, easy off. :yes:

But go with the villa. You'll be ever so much happier! :yes:
    Wendy likes this.
  20. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I've stayed at the Embassy Suites not far from DTD and found it to be a great value. There was free breakfast and a happy hour(free drinks) included in the price. I've also stayed at Sheraton Vistana and it was nice... What I remember about that one was they were heavy on pressuring people to attend their timeshare sales seminars. It got to the point where I unplugged the phone. I also remember the bed was so comfy and enormous. I have never stayed in a villa and probably won't. I like staying at a hotel where someone comes and cleans the room everyday and I really don't want to cook while on vacation.