1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

offsite dining?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by goofyspal, Jul 20, 2008.

1. goofyspal

goofyspal Earning my ears

Hi everyone, newbie here wondering about restaurants. We always stay on disney so have never tried all those places we see along the side of the roads.

Anyone any recommendations where to go and where not to go?

ponderosa? olive garden I think? there are many others but I cant remember their names :confused:
  2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

There are tons of restaurants in the area! It depends on what you are looking for. Olive Garden is ok Italian. I always get their chicken scampi so I can't really comment on the rest of their menu. Ponderosa is a buffett and lots of people seem to like it.

I like Bahama Breeze. I also like Sweet Tomatoes as well. They are a salad/soup/pasta buffett. We don't have either of those here.
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Oooh, food. Let's talk! :lol:

Much of course, depends upon what you and your family like. :yes:

The Darden Chain (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Season's 52...) is middle of the road basic fare. Nothing too extravagant, nothing too overly done spice wise. Not crazy priced, and ample portions.

Off site buffets are something you want to be well informed about. Sweet Tomatoes, that Johnie mentioned is quite popular and very reasonably priced. It features mostly salad makings, soups, pasta and limited meat.

Ponderosa, Sizzler, Golden Corral, and those all you can eat seafood places are not places I like to dine. Having said that, many folks like them.

There is an upper end, Melthing Pot, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Roy's, Timpanico, etc... pricey but delicious. Nice for special. Oh, and Vic's Chophouse and Mannies Chophouse are both recommended quite often.

If you want Chinese, you are pretty much out of luck. I've yet to find good Chinese here in the greater Orlando area. On the other hand, there is a wonderful place, Ran Gitsu for Japanese food. They have a wonderful shushi selection, shabu shabu selections and other wonderful food. It's not a teppanyaki style place.

TooJay's Deli is great for substantial meals. Relatively low priced, it will fill you up and more. There are some traditional deli selections but it is not a kosher deli. If you go, try the blintzes or latkes. Heck, have both! The pastrami or corned beef is wonderful too.

There is a McCormick and Smick's, along with the Cheesecake Factory among other places to eat at the Millenia Mall. That general area is loaded with dining options, some of them quite new. You'll find fast food, full service mid range, and full service brew pub style.

There is always IKEA's cafeteria too! :D

Hope that helps a bit! :yes:
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

WOW! Thats a brilliant run down ! Thanks Tink!!
  5. Tink

Psssst! There's lots more where that came from. I didn't want to overwhelm. :D
  6. Steven

Steven Earning my ears

Mmmmmmmmmmmm sweet tomatoes! That wee $7 (something) was soooooo much nicer than my gorgeous $60 (Just me!) meal at Le Cellier! :p

I want some sweet tomatoes cornbread - Right now !
  7. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I have a few favourite off site restaurants. My absolute favourite is Kobe, a teppanyaki restaurant on I Drive. We had wonderful food there and with lots of Japanese eating there, I knew i had made a good choice. We also like Bahama Breeze. Olive Garden was fine but nothing too amazing. We want to try Red Lobster, Cafe Tu Tango and Tony Romas this time as well. Sweet Tomatoes was very good too.

Margaret
  8. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'm a big fan of offsite dining, if for nothing else, it's cheaper!! :D

I used to love Pebbles at the Crossroads but it closed. :(

The Mexican place at the Crossroads is fab too - it's either Chilis or Chevys, I can never remember which. :lol:

Not a fan of Ponderosa type places. Like Red Lobster and had the best chicken salad ever at Perkins of all places.

I have Manny's Chophouse on my "to do" list for the next trip.
  9. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Definatley try Logans! Its all no-fuss, huge portions, okay-priced, brilliant food, and its very 'american'
  10. Tink

Chevy's at Crossroads. :)

There is a place called Carrabbas, too. And then there is Outback. I'm not a fan of either one, but many folks like them. :yes:

Down on I-Drive there is Dixie Crossroads at Festival Bay. Florida Seafood. There is Texas de Brasil too. Churrascaria. All you can eat...but not a buffet.
  11. Johnie

Texas de Brazil has good looking men (gauchoes) carrying meat on skewers. My goodness is that place heavenly! You can sign up for their free email club and get half price meals. It's a good thing to do b/c this place is expensive!

Chevy's is good....just don't get the tomatilla sauce. I had it on my tamale and I swear it was like the devil had spit in my mouth!!! HOT is not even the word for it....but otherwise it was very good in there :yes:

I like Red Lobster....I could go for the cheddar biscuits alone.

I'm not a huge fan of Outback or Carrabas either. Both are always packed though.
  12. Tink

I have a recipe for those biscuits. :yes: :D
  13. Johnie

PLEASE share!!!
  14. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

OK - Im going! :p015:

Margaret
  15. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Good middle-of-the road food is Perkins at The Crossroads. Enough variety to suit groups, but nothing spectacular. A step above Denny's IMHO--but that could be because I've been over-exposed to Denny's! *LOL*
  16. Tink

Remind me when I get home Johnie. I'll put it on the boards for you. :yes:
  17. Johnie

thank you :hug2: