1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

OK how much prebooking will we need to do over the next fortnight

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Skywatcher, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

:unsure:

we have always gone in Jan/Feb and really never had to do much in the way of advanced bookings for table service - it has been 2 years since we last went and I am now hearing it is getting harder and arder as everyone seems to be going for the dining plan - we would walk up to the counter of most places and bea able to get slotted in - or at worst ring either on the morning or the night before ( even Cindys had some walk ups on the last trip)

The thing is I simply can't know that we will be in EPCOT at 7pm on a certain day as we keep our itineries loose - because with kids you never know how a trip will go - is it getting really grim :unsure:

tried to get into cef Mickeys in 2 weekends time and that was booked already but that may be due to the refurb taking out some of the seats :fingers:

any ideas?

2. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I would try to make ADR's now. Your a party of 4 right? That makes it a bit harder.

Alysia and I went last weekend and I made some ADR's about 2 days ahead of time. I got everything I wanted but we're a party of 2 so that always seems easier. I also didn't try to get incredibly popular places (we did WCC, Boma and the afternoon tea. We also walked right into Yak and Yeti with no wait).

The character meals always seem to be the hardest to get into.

Do you have any idea where you might want to go? If you give me some ideas, I don't mind calling for you.

3. Skywatcher

See I love being 'loose' about what we do each day - it is not unusual for us to do 3 parks in a day - I will have to wait until I am there in all honesty or simply just use counter service - If you are on the phone to them at all over the next few days can you ask what avaliablilty is like for breakfasts and dinners at chef mickeys for the 2 weeks starting feb 7th please

4. Johnie

Sure, I can do that. How long are you staying?

I think you might be ok with keeping a loose schedule as long as you don't try for the really popular places.

If you don't want to make an ADR for T-Rex, go when they open for lunch. We did it in Dec and didn't wait very long at all (we were a party of 4 on that trip).

5. Skywatcher

Trex we were planning to do as a lunch - most sit downs we do as lunch as well which helps I think

Usually we try and do chef mickeys breakfast once, dinner once , Crystal palace once for lunch, A breakfastosaurus once and maybe the rose and crown once for lunch as well - never ever had troubles but we are going a couple of weeks later and the DDP does make a big difference I know.

Oh and whispering canyon - but as we are staying there we can usually fit around whats free - we tend to eat early during the trips

6. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

well.. maybe you could try doing SOME ADR's .... say 3 or 4, the ones you know you HAVE to do... and leave the rest until you get there...

7. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I had a weird dream last night that I called Disney Dining and found out that Cape May has availability for tomorrow lunch :unsure: but Chef Mickeys you need to wait until next week. :lol:

I tried posting that here for you but someone kept deleting my thread. :(

I had cheese last night. :D

8. Skywatcher

Apparently no avaliability for CM the whole time we are there :(

9. Dawn

Try at Guest Services while you are there for a cancellation.

The dining plan has wrecked spontaneity. :(

10. Skywatcher

See if you are onsite I really can't have that strict an itinery - once we went on our EPCOT day andit was very obvious after 1/2 an hour that none of us had the stamina to to it that day so we went back and had a swim then played mini golf - if we had had ADR's we might have stuck it out and been miserable

its very sad but I simply can't plan that far ahead at the moment :(

11. Dawn

I'd probably resign myself to counter service for much of the time then. It's not all burgers and fries these days.

Or try some of the more unusual places at off times - Marrakesh between lunch and dinner peak times for instance.

I know what you mean. In my earlier trips I walked up to the Brown Derby at lunch time and was seated within minutes. What chance now. :(

12. Skywatcher

Just hopw we can wangle at least one character meal for the kids

13. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Chris, my DW and I share your thoughts in that we hate to stick to a rigid schedule for meals. Sadly it is now very difficult to walk into most of the more popular restaurants thanks to the pesky dining plans etc. as you are well aware. :frown:
    Because of this we have tended to venture more and more off site where we have discovered some great places to dine at considerably less cost than on site. Assuming you will have a car it may be worth considering.
    Having said that, Keith seems to get along just fine going down this route using taxis.

14. Skywatcher

:( no we don't have a car - counter service looks like the way to go we will try and book lunches the day ahead - very sad

15. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Cape May at the Beach Club has a really nice character breakfast buffet. It's Goofy and friends (chipmunks, and sometimes the penguins...) with Minnie holding court in a little lounge that connects to the restaurant.

It's one of the nicest breakfasts! There is a huge selection of food items and the characters really take their time with their visits from table to table. We were alone when we had breakfast there and the characters still gave us as much attention as the other diners.

Very nice.

16. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

On one of your MK days you may want to try Gasparilla`s at the GF for lunch. It would mean doing a loop of the monorail, but they do a good selection of hot and cold dishes and you could also sit outside overlooking the castle if you wanted to.
    The staff there are also very friendly and it doesn`t usually get too busy, apart from during peak times.
    Also many of the dishes are cooked to order.

To return to the MK you could again take the monorail which is only one stop away [in a clockwise direction if you see what I mean!].

17. Skywatcher

Ach - there is no point stressing on it what will be will be - it is a shame about CM but if there are great swathes of the place shut then thats just how it is

18. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

While you are there, try asking at off-peak times such as 11am and 4pm for character meals. :thumbsup:
    I'm going to have a difficult time persuading DH that we will have to make ADRs for September. He hates having a schedule whilst on holiday. :rolleyes3:

19. Johnie

I hate having to make ADR's as well. I have NO CLUE as to what I am having for dinner tonight, much less what I might be in the mood for 6 months from now.

You should definately see about lunches. Those seem to have the most availability. We DID get an ADR on the day of for Mama Melrose at DHS and we were a party of 4. That was in Dec.

I'll keep looking for Chef Mickey's for you. Maybe we'll get lucky :yes:

20. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Well... we have done a few ADRs and cancelled when we just didnt feellike going.... but its good to know you HAVE the ADR....