1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Ok where shall we go this evening ?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by keith, Dec 11, 2013.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I seem to remember the fries were about $20 although they were double cooked etc. all in all, with a modest bottle of white wine, no starter, it came to about $300 before tip

I had wine, not sure how much i remember after that :lol:

Helen had the lamb which I tasted and thought was superb. Very tasty without the accompanying flavours fighting with it as sometimes they do with herb crustings etc.

I had the delmonico which was superb. Charred round the outside but medium inside so really tasty and perfectly done. The fries were excellent as discussed.

The surroundings were fantastic and the service second to none. I highly recommend it
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Well, that is pretty pricey! :eek: I'm really glad to hear that it was delicious though. Takes the sting out of the tab at bit. Thanks for the info!
  3. keith

The surroundings were really really nice far more upmarket than normal steakhouses imho
  4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

*faints* $20 for fries?! I think I'll stick to Five Guys......
  5. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Right there with you, sister!
  6. Tink

Well, not Five Guys, but the duck fries at the Tasting Place in Winter Garden… :D They aren't quite $20 per serving. :D

Hey, if it was delicious, I'm happy!
  7. keith

it was :) truly a place for a special occasion and wow, the hotel. I'd really like to spend some nights there too
  8. Tink

I've heard that the hotel is wicked nice. Maybe I'll book us in there for a couple of nights to give it a try. Herself could use a little luxury. :sigh:

Thanks for the good report, Keith. Like yourself, I don't mind paying for something as long as it delivers.
  9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I could do with someone to test out the hotel ;)
  10. keith

Did have a TINY issue with the valet parking.... I made a late reservation at the restaurant and told them I would be late because I wanted to watch the fireworks from our room at the contemporary. Fine. When we arrived a snotty kid of a valet parking attendant said "out of luck, it's closed". I said "well I doubt that very much so let's give it a try". He said "its closed now.", I gave him the keys and said "thanks for the info but I'm going to go check for myself anyway.". He just stood there staring at me for a good long while then said "well you'll end up paying because if its closed they cant stamp your card", I said "ok thats fine, I'm good for the 12 bucks and promise not to leave the country :)"... he stomped off and gave the keys to someone else to do.

Probably just more me than anything else, I do seem to attract these problems :) but just sayin' at the PROPER waldorf, I'd expect him to call the restaurant and tell them they had guests inbound etc. could they stay open a few more minutes? and would I like him to quickly run in and show us the way. Just a difference in attitude which distinguishes the truly good people.
  11. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

:lol: did you say anything about it? I would be mightily miffed if I was paying that much for a meal and everything didn't run smoothly
  12. keith

It did actually set a bit of a "tone" because I started to think oh gawd, have they closed... so then we practically ran into the hotel and had to try and find the way to the restaurant - which was non-obvious - and then when we got there, we got a "I'll just have to go and see if the table is available". So it was all coming across as a little stand offish and silly.

ANYWAY, it was no problem, they had our table and all was well. Our server ended up being a really good guy, fascinated by 80's,90's uk music and a very good server. So in the end I did have a discussion with him about the valet incident. I mean in the grand scheme it was nothing at all but still. He said that there was a high turnover of people in that position and they often seemed to end up with kids hungry for tips but with typical teenage "I know it all" attitudes and it wasn't the first time it'd been mentioned.

When we got back out there was no one out there in front so we had to start looking around for where the valets were hiding having a drink. So yeah all in all, hotel great but valet side was bleurgh.
  13. Tink

I wonder, if like at WDW, they do not employ their own valet parking attendants, rather contract that service out.