1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Once more considering DVC

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Mari, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

This is a topic that comes up after every trip hahahaha

Should we take the plunge? I just never seem to find the answer, so Im asking again

What perks come with a dvc membership? As far as I can see it only includes accommodation, or am I missing something?

Do you get discounts on park passes, meals, anything?

Im thinking the cost might be the same, except for times when you are able to get free dining??

Im just lost hahaha, some light my way please???

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Mari i regret not buying into DVC 10 years ago when mine were little, i say go for it!
  3. Mari

Thats what Im thinking, if we do it, we have to do it now, or at the most next year :)

4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

have you thought about where you would buy? There is going to be Grand Floridian soon, or you could buy resale which is cheapest but then you can't go elsewhere with your points in the world.
  5. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Perk wise you get around $100 off an annual pass, there are specific dining discounts on certain places at certain times but we use an ap to buy the Tables in Wonderland card for the 20% dining discount, although I'm sure I read that DVC members are able to buy a TIW card now without the AP. :)
  6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The main benefit of DVC membership is that you are locking in your accommodations rate for the most part. Points needed may change from time to time, but essentially, for your initial purchase price you have decades of use.

If you buy directly from Disney, you will have all the benefits that come with that sort of purchase, including interest rates, any specials or sales promotions that may be going on, ect. Resale is an option, but I don't know anything about it.

Perks change from year to year. AP discounts are in effect right now, but haven't always been, and won't always be. There are a myriad of others, discounts on tours, special events, meals, purchases, ect. It's a bit like an AP in that you ALWAYS ask if there is a DVC membership discount. You'll be surprised at how many there are.

Purchase where you want to stay. Don't assume that because a DVC resort is sold out that Disney can't get you points there.

DO NOT purchase at Vero Beach. DO NOT. The beach is eroding as we speak and it's a very sad thing to see. A huge change that detracts from the pleasure and use of the resort.

GF may be excellent for you given the young ages of your children. You'll be close to MK, and of course can book elsewhere as the years dictate (and availability allows).

OKW is the Grandmother of DVC and has the most spacious accommodations and the easiest to access from the parking lots (if you have a car and that matters to you).

We love every DVC for various reasons with the exception of BWV. Everyone has their own opinions, eh? :) We simply don't like it there for numerous reasons.

BLT is wonderful, ultra Modern, but a little cramped for a long stay (even in the one bedroom). WLV is lovely. Kidani is WONDERFUL. BCV are great and allow access to that wonderful pool. :) SSR is a nice resort, large and close to DTD as you know.

We've never much used all the other features of DVC. :redface: There are concierge stays, and holidays to other areas, and all sorts of things. We did use points for Disney resort stays once upon a time, but once a DVC has been built and "attached" to a resort, then you cannot do that.

Oh, and there are the new DVCs in Hawaii, and California too. :yes:

So, Miss Mari. Whatcha' waitin' for?

(If you use DVC once every three years you are making good use of your membership. You can bank all your points into the upcoming year, and once in that year borrow your points from the next year and have three years of points to use at once).
  7. Mari

Thank you so much Tink :)

What we have talked so far

We are considering BLT. The ability to walk to MK and be on the monoriel is a plus with 2 little ones and 2 strollers :)

We initially thought of getting between 150 and 200 points which would be enough for a week in a studio every year or a around 10 nights in a one bedroom every two years.

DVC is selling BLT at $150 a point, with a $10 discount so, $140 per point. However, you can find points on resale for $90. The problem with resale is no financing and not being able to use your points for cruises or resorts, but from the DVC point charts we would need over 1000 points to be able to go on cruises with them, so it sounds better to just pay cash when we eventually go on a cruise :)

So... The plan right now is to save save save, and by next march see how many dollars we have and buy at least 100 points to start us off, which are probably enough for a few years, and then save again and buy another 60-100 points for when the girls want their own room hahahaha

I like GF but I think it will probably be far more expensive to buy and to stay there, so BLT seems like the way to go!!

But we have decided to join :), just not with DVC directly, but through resale, so it will probably happen around this time next year :)

8. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

I never knew that Tink.
    So I assume that means that I will no longer be able to use my points to stay at the GF when the DVC part is up and running? :unsure:
  9. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

They said that when I asked about staying at the contemporary. If there is a DVC part, you have to stay there but if there isn't you can stay in the usual resort.
  10. Mari

Yeap. Once there is DVC in the resort, you must stay there

11. Slowhand

That`s a bummer Keith! :thumbsdown:...thanks for the info. though.
  12. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I keep thinking I'd like BLT, love being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom. Then I wonder about grand floridian, I do think that would be lovely. hmmmmmm
  13. Slowhand

I`ll check it out [the DVC part that is] when we go out in a couple of months time.
    I`m sure that the new addition will be lovely, but by now I`ve kinda got used to staying at the GF and I hope the DVC part still has that "feeling" which is hard to describe in words. :fingers:
  14. Tink

I'd expect it to be different, Slowhand. We really loved the BC resort and still do like BCV but it is nothing like staying in the resort proper.

Mari, I didn't know anything at all about the inability to use DVC points in the same manner regardless of purchase! Is that something new, I wonder? It used to be that DVC couldn't really tell if you were resale or not.

Remember, if you buy at different times you run the risk of different use years, and run the real risk of sell out. It makes things tricky.

I'd save for as long as necessary to get the total number of points I wanted at the place I wanted in one purchase.

Having said that, the single most frequent complaint about DVC purchases are that "I should have bought sooner" followed by "I should have bought more points when I purchased DVC."
  15. Mari

Tink, I read that policy changed last year, so you can no longer use points bought on resale for cruises, adventures by Disney, concierge collection and something else.

Ive read about the use year, but you all resale contracts will specify use year, so you can choose the same use year for 2 different contracts, might take some time until two contracts with the same use year come up, but you can do it :)
  16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I could certainly be wrong as DVC isn't my realm of expertise but I thought if you buy directly from Disney then you have to buy a minimum of 150 points to start off with? We did a DVC tour when Saratoga Springs was opening.

DVC works really well for some. Not for me though.
  17. Tink

I believe they lowered the minimum to 100 points when the prices rose.
  18. Mari

Yeap, at least in 2009 for AKV we could have gotten 100 :)

On resale you can get 30 or even 25 points... Works great if you just want to add some points

When it was just 2 of us it didnt seem to work for us, now that we are four and in a few years will be needing 2 rooms, it seems like a much better deal!

19. Tink

It really is, especially if you make use of the kitchen and laundry. Food budget, as you know is a major expense, and if you use the kitchen then you can reserve your dining "out" budget for those really important character meals. :yes: Having a laundry with children is a true plus! You can pack less, and not have to worry.

I know we are so spoiled by the one bedrooms that we struggle to stay in a studio now, even if it's just the two of us going. A traditional hotel room is torture! :D

Again, if you plan on one WDW visit per three years (of a week duration give or take) then DVC is really for you. It does not detract from your ability to stay throughout WDW, and works with moderate resorts as well as the deluxe resorts (again, where there is DVC attached you'll stay there).

The general concept is that it's a better use of points to use them for DVC stays only, whereas using them for cruises, or regular resort stays is not the most efficient use. We've done both, used them for DVC and for resorts. I don't think we'd ever use them for a cruise as the cruise work out to be less expensive for cash.

We've had little trouble booking at any time of the year for our home or other DVC resorts, although we do pay attention to certain factors. Last year when we wanted Christmas at OKW for more than our family we booked as early as possible for everyone and were able to get what we wanted (and that was AFTER the 11 month home resort window had passed)! We've not been able to book some places, such as Vero Beach for a summer weekend when we've left it until the last minute. No real tragedy as that is a "if we can we'll go" sort of thing.

We've yet to book Hilton Head, although we've tried and not been able to get reservations. Again, trying after the 7 month window had passed.

All in all, we are rarely disappointed in our ability to book accommodation when and where we want to stay.
  20. Mari

Thank you so much for all this information Tink!

I do think having a kitchen is a giant plus! and yes!! with all the blankies we have to travel with, launfry would be very helpful!

We are planning to join by April next year, and will buy resale, since we only plan to use our points for Disney. At the moment we are considering different resorts, we like them all, and they all have their pros and cons: AKV, BCV, BLT and VWL

We would like to stay at BLT the first few years with the strollers, but we can travel during the low season .. we ar ethinking September

When the girls are older and cant miss school as easily, we wouldnt mind staying at any of the other resorts mentioned, and we wouldnt have to lug around 2 strollers, making the monoriel or walking to MK less important :)

And we want enough points to stay in a studio every year or a 1BR every 2 years.... who knows! maybe in the future we will be able to add more points, but for the time being we think between 150 and 200 is enough for us...

So now we have a year to save and to decide which resort :)