1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

orange announce ipad uk 3g rates

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by keith, May 7, 2010.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

There's this article but then it'd only work if it could see known wifi hot spots?

Wi-Fi Positioning System (WPS) is a term pioneered by Skyhook Wireless to describe its Wi-Fi-based location system. Skyhook has built and maintains a large global database of Wi-Fi access points and their precise locations. This data may then be used by a mobile electronic device to triangulate a user's position.

WPS may be combined with cell phone tower triangulation and GPS to provide reliable and accurate position data under a wide range of conditions, including among tall buildings and indoors, when GPS signals may be weak or intermittent.
    Limitations: WPS does not work when out of range of Wi-Fi signals, and the Wi-Fi hotspots database must be constantly updated to keep up with Wi-Fi hotspot changes.

2. keith

ok so from what I'm reading so far....

WIFI only GPS - Ipad wifi
    Skyhook and others are driving round the world noting the position of wifi SSIDs and the co-ordinates. These are then saved to a database to be used by wifi devices for postioning. Accurate if your location has been scanned in the db.

Ipad 3G
    has satellite GPS + Assisted cell tower GPS + wifi GPS

3. keith

A-GPS (Assisted GPS) on iPad 3G/iPhone 3GS goes a step further, finding the closest satellites to more quickly identify your position. If you’re not within a clear line of sight to a GPS satellite, iPhone finds you via Wi-Fi. If you’re not in range of a Wi-Fi hotspot, iPhone finds you using cellular towers. The size of a location circle tells you how accurately iPhone is able to calculate that location: The smaller the circle, the more accurate the location.

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Now that I've actually read your post a little closer, I didn't really answer your question.

No, I don't think the WiFi model has the GPS chip set. At least according to Apple it doesn't. Does this mean that it doesn't REALLY have it. Not sure. :unsure:

However, it does do a bang up job of finding out where you actually are! :thumbsup:

Tom :)macwave:... I should read before speaking!)

5. keith

no it's fine Tom really :yes: I just wanted to know exactly which device was doing what and I think I have it sorted out now :yes:

6. MarkE

MarkE Imagineer

I dare say the 3GB per month would be best for most people - I used to use a virgin media usb dongle, and never exceeded 2gb per month just browing.

I guess this is a direct competition to the laptop+ usb dongle? If this works well, do you see them offering it to macbooks?