1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Orlando Airport Sees Traffic Drop By 13 % - 2.1 Million Passengers

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by eeyoreguy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012811111

Orlando, FL (AHN) - Passenger traffic was down at Orlando International Airport by nearly 13 percent in September, the third straight month of travel slump at the Central Florida airport.

Fewer than 2.1 million travelers arrived at or departed from OIA in September, which was a drop of 380,000 from the same month last year and double the 6.3 percent year-over-year decline in August.

Most of that drop was in domestic travel, which was down 15 percent from last year. International travelers actually rose 19 percent, although that didn't represent much traffic with only 161,000 travelers.

Increased international travel was aided by the start, or increase, in service by international carriers. They included Lufthansa, AeroMexico and Copa airlines.

More drops in traffic are expected, the economy is partially to blame, but overall capacity at OIA has also shrunk. Capacity was down by 14 percent for September and October and is expected to be down by 12 percent in November and December.
  2. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Ouch. That has to hurt tourism and related businesses in the area.

Although some domestic travelers within reasonable distance may be choosing to drive rather than fly. But I'm guessing that would be only a few thousand--not enough to offset the total domestic decline.
  3. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

As for the rise in International travellers, Most of us plan and book years in advance and last year the $ and travelling to the US was great value for us so most of the trips taken by Brits to Orlando via OIA would have been booked last year if not earlier. I imagine with the downfall of the £ the figures will drop.
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yep sadly I completely agree