1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Orlando International Airport in Top 20 for Airport Thefts

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Wendy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

The TSA office serving Orlando International Airport had the 11th highest number of officers fired for theft in the country in the last 10 years, a broadcast report says.

ABC News reported that 15 TSA officers at MCO were fired between 2002 and December 2011. The network reported the number of theft firings from 20 airports, based on data from the TSA obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Last month, ABC News did an investigation of the TSA, leaving iPads at different TSA security checkpoints in airports throughout the country where high amounts of theft had been reported. Though employees at nine out of ten of the airports followed proper procedure and contacted the number that had been placed on the iPad, at an airport in Orlando, it disappeared. Two weeks later, employees for ABC News tracked the iPad to the house of TSA worker Andy Ramirez, who initially denied having it. The ABC News employees then activated the iPad’s tracker alarm, which indicated that it was in Ramirez’s home. Ramirez then blamed his wife for the theft.

During the investigation, ABC News found that 381 TSA employees have been fired for theft between 2003 and 2012, with 11 this year.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Now, why doesn't that surprise me :unsure::nono:

3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Makes the idea of a carry on much more appealing.

4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

How do they select these people? I would have thought they would be beyond reproach, if they are stealing from people then how much of a leap is it letting something through the screening process. I'm more worried about that than them stealing my souvenirs tbh :unsure:

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Back when I was flying every week for work, I was on a flight with a documentary movie producer who told me that many thousands of dollars worth of equipment had been stolen from MCO. He had a claim in for it and was pressing charges. I don't know how it ended.

I know that our bags seem to be rifled every time we get them back from "check in." We never, of course put anything of real value in them, but things have been ruined by careless handling. :sigh: