1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Orlando Tipping! Drives me crazy

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by mgmrach, May 22, 2011.

1. mgmrach

mgmrach Imagineer

Its the worst part of a disney holiday I reckon

So many servers expecting 18 or even 20 percent tips for nothing more than a basic service. How much money can a server make in a day? Why do they expect so much?

I appreciate being a server is a low paid job and they rely on tips but expecting so much is crazy. We wont give a good tip if we havent received good service. We're always wondering how much to give and dont want to offend, it really does cause us stress yet our US friends just throw a few dollars on there and forget it. So is it only us visitors paying 20% for mediocre service?

Why not pay a decent wage in the first place? Your thoughts?
  2. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

I quite like the fact they have to "earn" their tips. So many times we go to restaurants here in the uk (like tgis or the outback steakhouse) and the servers have faces like thunder and don't give you a pleasant experience.
    At least in the states they give you an experience! We tend to stick to a 10% tip or if it's been a brilliant service we will tip a bit more.
    :wiggle:
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm sure those here who know me saw the title of this thread and shuddered. :D I LOATHE tipping!

Having said that:

All servers here are taxed on a presumed 10% so if they do not receive at least that, they actually lose money on the service. 15% is a fair, standard amount to tip (be sure not to include the tax when figuring the tip) and go up (or down) from there.

If you are tipping less than 10% you need to speak with a manager. :yes:

Servers are not paid a "fair wage" and are expected to make their wages through tips. How much can they make in one evening? Depends upon where they work and how good they are.

Keep a sharp eye on the tab. There are any number of places that automatically add the gratuity. Tipping on top of that will not be necessary.
  4. jessa

jessa Earning my ears

we tend to use the following tips for tipping...

10% for much to be desired service (basically just plain ol' yucky service)
    15% for okay service (not bad and but not good either)
    18% for good service (nice demeanor, never having to ask for refills, etc.)
    20% for outstanding service (and a written note of praise if the server has gone above and beyond)
  5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Brill post thanks Jessa! :thumbsup:
  6. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Just a note. Waiters and bartenders are paid LOWER than the minimum wage here in the US. The tips are considered part of their wage therefore the employer is allowed to pay them under the minimum wage. If they were paid a decent salary the cost of dining out would be that more expensive.
  7. WDW Vet

WDW Vet Forum Advertiser

When we visited Coronado Springs food court, Pepper market automatically added 10% to the bill. There is no service factor at all.
  8. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

That's ridiculous!! :thumbsdown:

We tip very similar to the post Jessa made. We start out at 15% for standard service. We drop it to 10% if the service is below average and up to 20% if the service is above average. If the service is poor it goes below 10% and we speak to a manager. Outstanding service and we give 25%.

All Disney table service automatically bills at least 18% on parties of six or more but if you receive service you think is deserving less than this you can certainly speak to a manager and have it adjusted.
  9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

With the Pepper Market, we have always been seated at a table, had a server get drinks and refill them, remove plates and generally be helpful. I think 10% is a fair amount for that. However, if you object to it, you can discuss with the manager and usually have it taken off.

Servers in the US are paid far below minimum wage and are expected to make up their wages in tips. I personally hate tipping and tend to overtip as a result.
  10. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

When I saw WDW Vet mention food court with no service factor I just assumed a complete self service experience. If they do what you mention above then I'm okay with 10%.
  11. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We've only eaten there once and were treated by a friend who is a CM. We still tipped him.
  12. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

I don't tip if the service is bad period. And I do speak to the manager about it. I waited tables for several years and made a decent living out of it..but then I understood if I didn't earn it I didn't get it.

However, having said that..I have never had bad service anywhere in WDW ( that does not include DTD)so yeah I tip there lol and usually a bit more than is necessary. I keep in mind how many will walk away assuming they make at least min wage so they wouldn't need a tip- or those that have budgeted every penny out and just can't afford it.

You would be surprised how many really great servers can have extremely bad tip days...How many times have you seen a CM in one of the stores or at the resorts getting thier tails handed back to them over something silly like you want your things now but you know it won't show until tomorrow? Those same people go out to eat and those servers get that same chewing just because they are CMs. That of course is because all CMs are at fault...never the impatient person that doesn't listen to the rules....wowzers...sorry didn't mean to get on a soap box there lol...there goes Catz - Defender of who knows what today lol.
  13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I've lived with tipping so long that it no longer phases me. I've seen the standard tip rise over the years from 10% to 15% to 18-20% and more. Like my DW I hate weird numbers so I always round off the bill to an even $$ amount when I add the tip. Quite often this results in more than the standard. Tipping is so ingrained in me that when I lived in Europe or visited other countries in Europe I almost always left a tip, even though I knew it was included.