1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

OSX HDD is full

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by josh.p., Mar 28, 2013.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. I have an Apple Macbook Air. I use it for web browsing and I have 5gb of music on it.

Other than my music I have maybe 3/4 PDFs. On top of this I have firefox, adobe reader and open office installed.

Everything else is stored 'in the cloud' on Dropbox. Now, my question is.. why do I keep getting this 'HDD is full' message when I hardly have anything stored on it? I know it's not meant to be used as a heavy-use laptop and is just for web surfing and odd bit of word processing. But is there some application that I should know about storing things in a system folder somewhere?

According to 'About this mac' I have 5.4gb of music (which I can account for given that my iTunes library is about that size), but 8.29gb of pictures?!?!

I don't have any photos stored on it, not even a desktop background. What is going on?

Josh

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

3. josh.p.

DOH!!!! I didn't realise DropBox did that!! There's hundreds of photos in my drop box. Is there any way you can make it just cloud-based and not syncing?

4. josh.p.

Now I have actually just checked and I have 1.5gb of photos in there, so it's still only really a maximum of 15gb that I have in stuff actually stored on the HDD.. do you know if Apple Mail stores all the attachments somewhere random, too?

Josh

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

6. josh.p.

That's slightly better. I think what I am going to have to do is invest in a NAS drive, or a wireless hard drive any recommendations? I'd quite like one of the new 'cloud' integrated ones that allow you to access it away from home, too.