1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Our 2013 Combined Birthday Trip Part IIIa

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by uscwest, Mar 15, 2013.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I know I am WAY behind on these and I apologize.

Since the first part of this trip report was so long, I’m going to continue part III here. Once back in our hotel we headed to our room to change clothes for dinner. I hadn’t mentioned this earlier, but the day started out a bit chilly and warmed up very nicely as the day went on. Both of us had noted that we were a bit low on cash so we decided we would head for the bank in DTD first and then head over to the Boardwalk. Traffic, just trying to get out of the hotel and then past the Polynesian, the TTC and Fort Wilderness on the way to the bank was a joke. A trip that should have taken 10 minutes max, and no more than a half hour to get all the way to the Boardwalk, took over an hour. Fortunately we were still there in plenty of time. We Valet parked the car and went up to the Bellvue Lounge for a tipple. Donna enjoyed an Amaretto Sour, while I had a Maker’s Mark Manhattan. Then it was downstairs to the Flying Fish. After a short wait we were seated by the manager, whose name escapes both of us. We were shortly after greeted by our server Rogerio Fonseco. Since this is mainly a seafood type restaurant we had noted allergies when we made our ADR. This brought the chef out to talk to Donna. He assured her that her meal would be cooked totally away from any seafood. Of course, we already knew this, but it is nice to receive that reassurance. Donna ordered Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala (Florida Yellow Beefsteak, UgliRipe, and Tiny Grape Tomatoes, Aged Balsamico, Exotic Peppercorns, Petite Basil and Badia a Coltibuono Extra Virgin Olive Oil, $15.00) for her appetizer. I ordered the Chardonnay-steamed PEI “Canadian Cove” Mussels (Fennel, Chiles, Pesto Crème and Ciabatti Crostini, $18.00) along with a glass of Benzinger Chardonnay, Camperos ’10 ($11.00). This appetizer was large enough that three or four persons could have shared it, or maybe it could have been the entire meal for one, if served with another vegetable. It was quite tasty, however, I prefer my mussels in a tomato based sauce, and would probably not order this again. Somehow I managed not to get pictures of this.

For her main, Donna ordered Native Rainforest Pepperberry and Wattleseed-crusted Kurobata Berkshire Pork Tenderloin (Leek, Fontina, and Truffle-laced Trofie Macaroni & Cheese, Grilled Asparagus with Kiln-dried and Fresh Black Mission Fig, Port Wine, Balsamico, Bermuda Onion, and Trumpet Mushroom Compote, $42.00). This was accompanied by a glass of E. Guigal Chateauneuf-Du-Pape, Rhone Valley ’06 ($17.00). Pork is one of those dishes that she likes to make sure is cooked so she ordered it well done. She said it was delicious but felt that it was overcooked. There were tons of good choices for me on this menu and the decision was difficult. I opted for the Calamarata Pasta de Abruzzo all Frutti de Mare, (Calamari, Laughing Bird Shrimp, and Calico Bay Scallops tossed with Leeks, Fennel, Fresh and Kiln-dried Tomatoes in a Brandy-laced Shellfish Crema ($28.00). Again it was quite tasty and different from anything I had ever eaten before. Dessert was a Degustation of Flying Fish Artisinal Cheese ($18.00). This had a recommended wine flight but I opted for a nice port wine. It was at this point that Rogerio recommended a Fonseco port. You will note that above I mentioned his last name. Rogerio is from Brazil, but his family is from Portugal where Fonseco is produced. He says, that to the best of his knowledge, he is not related to those Fonsecos. However, when he made a trip to Portugal to meet up with some of his family still living there he took a trip to the winery. When the folks at the winery discovered his last name they started introducing him as a long lost cousin, even though there was no relationship. The dessert consisted of Five Tasting Portions and Accompaniments. The cheeses were a Harbison by Jasper Hill Farm, accompanied by Bermuda Onion and Apple Compote “Agrodolce”, Flagship Reserve Truckle, accompanied by Fresh and Kiln-dried Cranberry, Lamb Chopper, accompanied by Savannah Bee Company Honeycomb Fig, Cremont, accompanied by Raisins on the vine, and Roquefort, accompanied by Fig and Marcona Almond Torta. The Cremont, which comes from Vermont, was very creamy. Donna felt the Roquefort was a bit salty but I thought it was fine. All of these cheeses were wonderfully described on the menu but I’m not going to go into all of that right now.

Tomorrow is EPCOT and dinner at Artist Point.

Bellevue Lounge
    Bellevue Lounge.jpg

Pork
    Donna Pork.jpg

Seafood Pasta
    John Seafood Pasta.jpg

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I've never been to the Flying Fish, I know Terry and Sue like it there.

I'm very tempted to try it, I have always been wary of fish restaurants in case there is crab served there, but it's good to know that a note can be made on the reservation.

Looking forward to reading about Artist Point :D

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Wen, this restaurant absolutely goes out of their way to make sure that your food gets nowhere near anything to which you may be allergic.

4. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

the food looks delicious!

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Thanks John, that's good to know, we'll take a look this year I think.

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I wonder why traffic was so bad?

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Spring break. Traffic is stupid right now, and will be until at least the end of the first week in April.

I don't care for tomatoes with any seafood, John so your appetizer sounds wonderful to me. I must say, I'm surprised to see the tagliatelle with the seafood. Not a usual pasta choice. Nice to have something different though.

Disney has an excellent reputation for handling food allergies. The chefs go out of their way to be sure guests do not have problems with any allergy while at WDW.

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Aha. We don't typically go during spring break time.

9. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

*sigh* Flying Fish - a favorite of Jon and I's :)

Everything sounds lovely so far...traffic notwithstanding!

10. susanm

susanm Imagineer

really love reading your report...love the details...especially about the meals...and the pix of the meals also makes it so much more appetizing...thanks for sharing