1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Our 2013 combined birthday trip to WDW Part V

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by uscwest, Mar 15, 2013.

1. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

It is now Sunday morning and it is COLD. Temperatures before the sun rose were in the 20’s and when we left for brunch it was still only in the 30’s with the wind blowing. We arrived in DTD a bit early and walked around so that Donna could shoot some pictures. Then we walked over and checked in at Raglan Road. The brunch is a new thing at Raglan Road and one of the features is a Full Irish Breakfast. Our server this morning is Kayla. She was born in Georgia but raised here in the Orlando area. I ordered the Province flight, pours of 4 different beers but they were out of one of the beers so my fourth pour was a Magner’s Cider. Donna ordered a Harp. She also opted out of the black and white and received an extra Banger instead. She said she wished she had asked for an extra grilled tomato. The breakfast was very good but we talked about a place up on Cape Cod, Massachusetts called the Keltic Kitchen which we both decided was even better.

Next we wandered over to Downtown Disney for a meet up with the Taylor family, Jon, Joanne, Sophie and Chloe. We were going to meet up at World of Disney and then retire to the Margarita Bar but WOD was SO crowded that we both gave up and just met at the bar. Donna and I both had our customary 1800 Margaritas and Jon had a Sam Adams Draft. Joanne opted for the water she had with her. The girls, now 5 and 3 are really getting to be big and quite independent. They both enjoyed pushing the stroller all over the deck. Our visit was all too short but we both had to move on. Donna and I went back to the resort where she took several pictures of the outside and we both had a bit of a wander. Then it was back to our room for a bit of rest before dinner tonight.

We left the resort and headed over to the Yacht Club. We valet parked the car and went inside to the Crew’s Cup lounge. I had sent a text message to our favorite server Ricardo to see if he was working at the Yachtsman Steak House tonight and he told us yes so we arranged to meet him. We had planned to see him and dine at Yachtsman last year, but his dad had taken ill so we ended up with another server. While we were waiting for Ricardo to get a free moment Donna ordered a glass of club soda and I opted for a new drink item called a Rye Manhattan. Instead of being served with the customary red Maraschino Cherry this was served with black cherries. It was good but I’ll take my good old Maker’s Mark Manhattan any time. Ricardo soon came out to greet us. He had a huge smile on his face and greeted me with a hug and Donna with a kiss and a hug. He had been selected as one of Disney’s Legacy Servers and had a brand new name tag and a pin recognizing his efforts. He presented us with a Cast Member pin from 2011. We told him that we plan to return to WDW in December and hope to get an ADR at the Yachtsman. He said he would plan something special with us. He went back to work and Donna and I walked out to the boat launch to catch the boat to EPCOT for our dinner at Monsieur Paul.

Ah, Monsieur Paul. What can I say but C'est Magnifique. This restaurant is upstairs over Chefs de France. I asked if I could take the elevator up since I have more trouble going up a flight of stairs than I do going back down. The elevator is a single person and moves very slowly. If a person were to be in a wheelchair and require accompaniment I’m not sure this is the restaurant at which to be dining. Monsieur Paul’s is the former Bistro de Paris and it has been remodeled. There is a children’s menu but it is very limited. Donna and I are relatively early eaters, our ADR was for 6:15, and there we several small children in the restaurant, most of whom were quite well behaved. There was one family who sat a few tables to our right that had a small baby with them. The baby started crying but was quickly hushed. The family immediately to our left had some quite noisy children however. There was another family with three small girls who were quite quiet and well behaved until after they ate dinner. When we finally left the restaurant it had quieted down quite a bit. Our server was Nicholas, from Lyon. He and his girlfriend had come over on the one year program and they would soon be getting ready to head back to France. He said they had really enjoyed their time here in the US and had done a lot of traveling but that they missed their home, their friends and their wine.
    I had been seriously eyeing the Prix Fixe menu until Nicholas told me that I could order the lamb as an entrée. We started with a couple of glasses of champagne ($16.00 ea). Donna’s appetizer was Salade gourmande Monsieur Paul (Dry aged ham, braised leeks, Parmesan crisp, celery cream $14.00). My appetizer was a lovely Roquefort Salad, whose description is not on the menu ($15.00). Donna’s entrée was Poulet aux morilles, crome quis, ju bruns (Roasted free-range chicken breast, carrots, jumbo asparagus, morel jus $38.00), which she declared delicious. It was accompanied by at glass of oak barreled Chardonnay (Macon Villages $10.50). Since I was able to have the lamb as an entrée I chose, Carre d' Agneau du Colorado en croute d'herbes, pi saladiere Nicoise, casolette de flageolet (Herb crusted rack of Colorado lamb, Nicoise style tart with goat cheese, onions and arugula cassolette of flageolet beans $50.00). This had four very large pieces of lamb, on the bone, one of which was the end cut. I couldn’t possibly finish it all but wished I had eaten the end cut first as the crusting was superb. Nicholas did not ask me how I would like my meat cooked and it came out perfect for me, between medium rare and medium. So if you like your lamb cooked otherwise make sure you let the server know. The whole meal in fact was outstanding. I accompanied my meal with a glass of Ste. Emilion Tour Segur ($13.90). We finished off our meal by ordering cups of coffee ($2.99 ea) and splitting Soufflé chaud au Grand Marnier, sauce a l'orange(Warm Grand Marnier soufflé, orange sauce $13.00). Utilizing our TIW once again, the meal came to $215 with tax, TIW tip, plus an additional tip. Would we go back here? You bet.

Tomorrow we are off to DHS in the morning and Be Our Guest for dinner.

Our Table
    Our Table.jpg

Beer Fllight
    Beer Flight.jpg

Donna's Breakfast
    Donna's Breakfast.jpg

Entertainment

Entertainment 3.jpg

Entertainment.jpg

Entertainment 2.jpg
  2. uscwest

Ricardo and Monsieur Paul

Ricky John
    Ricky John.jpg

Ricky Donna
    Ricky Donna.jpg

MP Table Setting
    MP Table Setting.jpg

Cheese Puffs
    MP Cheese Puffs.jpg

Donna Salad
    MP Donna Salad.jpg

Donna Chicken
    MP Donna Chicken.jpg

John Salad
    MP John Salad.jpg

John Lamb
    MP John Lamb.jpg

Grand Marnier Souffle
    MP Grand Marnier Souffle.jpg
  3. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

The brunch looks quite nice

I had no idea Jon and Joanne had two little girls, almsot the same age as mine! How fun that you were able to meet up!

The food at Monsieur Paul looks delicious! Thank you so much for the information on the kids menu, and kids at the restaurant :)
  4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

The brunch looks great! I was looking at the menus and was toying with the idea of going there
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

The brunch at Raglan Road is very popular. :yes: As you know, we were very disappointed in M'sieu Paul. I'll give it that it was a one off day for us, as I (we) ordered the same entreé as you had and our plates bore little resemblance to yours. The tart itself was a miserable mess.

It's too pricey for the experience we had, so we'll not be back there, but again so happy that you had a nice meal! (The wine was good)! :D
  6. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

John your trip reports are great. I love the photos and the reports are so well written that I feel like I am right there with you guys.
  7. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Aaah lovely to 'see' Ricardo again, dinner looked great, can't remember seeing the grand marnier soufflé when we were there though
  8. uscwest

Jules, have you been since it reopened as Monsieur Paul?
  9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I think I've combined restaurants.....lol! No never been to the French restaurant
  10. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

So lovely to see Ricardo! He always makes me smile!

I really *must* get to Raglan Road again soon...so often I forget it's there!
  11. susanm

susanm Imagineer

looks like a great meal....pictures are great..thanks for sharing...have been to
    Chef's de France but never upstairs..... looks like missed a good meal