1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Out of This World’ Dining Experience At Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant at Disney's

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

“Terrifying Plants” stalk the planet and “Invaders” touch down from another dimension at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, featuring favorite science fiction and monster flicks teamed with the finest drive-in food known to earthlings and aliens alike.

The Setting:

On a replica of a studios soundstage, the 250-seat restaurant re-creates a 1950s drive-in theater smack in the middle of Hollywood Hills without the smog. Diners are seated in re-creations of flashy, chrome-gilded cars of old, and fiber-optic stars twinkle overhead in the night sky as all ears tune in to real drive-in speakers mounted next to each car.
    All cars are facing the big screen, but guests can’t resist checking out the wheels next door. The '50s era automobiles, complete with fins and whitewalls, are painted in a rainbow of colors ranging from fire-engine red and emerald green to ice blue and metallic lavender.

The Menu:

Carhops decked out in campy versions of a '50s drive-in costume take guests’ orders from a menu that’s out of this world. The food arrives from the drive-in’s “Snack Bar.” “Main Features” range from smoked baby back ribs to shrimp penne pasta. No earthling could resist the lineup of desserts for all tastes, like the warm apple and pecan crisp or hot fudge sundae.

The Show:

The screen comes to life with trailers from “Cat Women of the Moon,” “Invasion of the Saucermen” and more. The Sci-Fi Dine-In’s film is a 45-minute compilation of the best (and worst!) of the science fiction trailers and cartoons, including segments from “It Conquered the World,” “Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster,” “The Amazing Colossal Man” and “Missile to the Moon.”

2. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

Re: Out of This World’ Dining Experience At Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant at Disn

i had no idea the scfi dine in was like that, wow

do you need an adr for there??

3. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Re: Out of This World’ Dining Experience At Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant at Disn

Thanks Wendy... Never been before but we have our first ADR already made for our next trip. :p015:

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

hehe I love sci-fi! First time we went we couldnt believe we'd missed it so many times before! Another hidden treasure, ADRs DEFINITELY needed! they turn people away all the time

5. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

Where is this place?

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

It's at Disney's Hollywood Studios (former MGM)

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've heard that they've taken the hamburgers off the menu here? Can that possibly be true! How can you have a drive in without a burger? :confused:

Has anyone else heard this?

8. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Was the burger made of filet mignon? :wink:

Haven't heard that Tink, but I agree, how on earth could it be a proper drive-in without burgers? :unsure:

The kids love this place, and I enjoy it as well...we actually visited it for the first time on our first "solo" trip to WDW...since then it's sort of become our very own tradition...

9. Tink

I'm rather hoping it's "over rumoured-itis." :yes: You know, one rumour gets started and then they snowball from there! "I heard filets off the menu at WDW!" "yeah, well I heard they aren't doin' burgers at Sci-Fi..."

That sort of thing? :unsure:

10. keith

Hope so! The burgers the only thing I eat there :(

11. Tink

Well then, that clinches it. They are gone for sure. :sigh;

12. Jazmine

Jazmine Dancing Queen!

We had an adr for June when we were there, we love it. there were lots of folks just walking in and asking for tables they were told to come back for 9pm and they should get seated must be quiet at that time
    Jacqui xxx

13. keith

ok Im staring at a photo of the menu... is it just me or is that crazily upscale for what is a burger and sandwich joint? Heck it's not even light enough inside to see a steak never mind eat it?

Butcher Steak - with a red wine glaze, seasonal vegetables and potato $20.99

Smoked Baby Back Ribs - Basted with barbecue sauce served with cole slaw and a choice of cucumber-melon salad or french fries $18.99

Beef and Blue Salad -- Sliced butcher-tender steak with a Wedge of Iceberg Lettuce with Blue Cheese Dressing, Tomatoes and Bacon 14.99

Italian Grilled Chicken Sandwich - With bruschetta topping served on a Kaiser Roll with cucumber-melon salad or fries $13.99

Shrimp Penne Pasta - With garlic, capers, plum tomatoes, baby spinach, white wine, and topped with asiago cheese $18.99

Seared Marinated Tofu - With mango glaze, fresh vegetables and white rice $14.99

The Reuben - Corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, thousand island dressing on marble rye bread served with a pickle spear and a choice of cucumber-melon salad or french fries $10.99

14. Tink

So where's the burger? :unsure:

15. Beccaberry

You know...TBH....I have NO recollection whatsoever of what I ate last time we were there...or any other time for that matter!

16. keith

I always have the burger :( because its not exactly a top end restaurant ;) you just go there for the experience! and its VERY cramped and dark. Can't imagine ordering a big meal there

17. Tink

Where's the flippin BURGER???

18. Beccaberry

:laugh: :laugh:

Or to coin another popular phrase of yesteryear....

Where's the BEEF?

19. Tink

:laugh: I thought of that, but there is beef on the menu so I went with the actual missing item.

How can you possibly have a drive in without a BURGER? It's UN AMERICAN!!!! RIOTS IN THE STREETS I TELL YA!

20. luvthemouse

luvthemouse My nickname is DANGER

It's fun, but definately not on our "do not miss" list. We do it every other trip or so. I just think it's one of the more over-priced places. But it might be worth another go when on the dining plan...

It seems to me that they should focus on more of the drive-in, and cater their menu to reflect that. Burgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, but gourmeted up as only Disney can.... Make the foods match the fun factor of the resturant. Just my opinion...:p