1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Oysters on Half Shell Back at Narcoossee’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Wendy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

oyseter-narcoosses.jpg

Raw oyster fans can now slurp their favorite bi-valve at Narcoossee’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa at Walt Disney World Resort.

Disney purchase the oysters from a company that uses a special cold pasteurization process that eliminates pathogens. The innovative technology involves immersing oysters in water under high pressure that crushes natural pathogens. Most importantly, the oyster retains all its appearance, nutrition, texture and briny flavor.

Narcoossee’s oysters come from Willapa Bay in the southwest corner of Washington State, famous for its abundance of farmed oysters and pristine coastal-plain estuary. The restaurant is serving the plump Pacific or Japanese oyster (crassostrea gigas, for you science fans), which is a little sweeter and creamier than the briny Atlantic oyster.

Oysters are $3 each or $36 a dozen. They’re served with ginger-port mignonette, cocktail sauce and lemon. We’ll splurge with a dozen!
  2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this since it is Disney. but, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OMG, I can't help it. They just look... ulp. :sorry: I like them fried, and rockerfeller, but have never been able to try them raw.

$36 a dozen is absolutely ridiculous. They are less than a dollar each at the store, and yes, that includes other than those flabby Appalachicola things.
  4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Ah, but if you buy them at the store you have to shuck them yourself. Oddly enough I don't really care for fried, rockefeller, or stewed. But I love them raw with a bit of horseradish and hot sauce or spicy cocktail sauce and some fresh lemon.