1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Packages vs Self-planning

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by josh.p., Jul 29, 2012.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Hi All,

I am (very) tentatively pricing up a holiday for 2013. I have loads of friends out in Orlando so this is going to be a solo trip!

Do you find the cheapest way to book is as a package, or do you prefer to book separate flights, hotel etc etc? I'm probably going to stay on-site as that way I can make the most of Disney transport, but I may stay offsite, depending on price, definitely not in a villa as I'm not confident enough to drive!

Josh
  2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Still so envious of your CM experience... can't imagine what it will be like to go back, meet friends etc.

OK, generally speaking separate will give you the most options and be cheaper. So the way to do it is to try and get a date range you're happy with.

Then try and find good priced flights. Look everywhere because you may find a travel agency has prebooked a block at a good price. You *MAY* even find that virgin holidays fly/drive comes to *cheaper* than direct with virgin atlantic (you can just not use the car). Strange I know, but it's happened several times to us.

Then have a look at the room prices. Off site WILL be cheaper but as you say you lose the easy availability of Disney buses. (of course you can use them whilst you're there, it's just to and from your base that you'd need to find alternatives. Many of the offsite hotels have their own service, a lot of them are AWFUL and you'll wait a long time).

If you book a package, they'll tend to want to talk about single supplements etc. because they charge per person even for the room.

If you book separately, you just buy the room so doesnt matter how many people are in it AND you can look out for discounts to be applied like general public ones, AA, AP and so on. Chances are you'll be able to get something off it by the time you go :)

With all that being said, after you've priced up the whole thing separately, do check the various sites including virgin holidays AND ask local travel companies. Every now and again they'll have some bizarre deal which will make it cheaper and you're arguably a LITTLE better covered having bought a package than separate (though that's not something I care much about. Just make sure to pay on credit card not debit)
  3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I prefer the self planning route Josh, I've always found it to be cheaper than buying a package. Having said that I know Keith and others have managed to get some good deals from Virgin Holidays.

I know what you mean about driving, I started 2 years ago and I am still too scared to go on the I4 :lol: Staying onsite is probably best for the transportation and I'm guessing the friends you made over there will have transport if you were going out with them somewhere else.

It will be brilliant for you to go back and see them again.

If you need any help, just ask and I'll do what I can :hug2:
  4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yep even this December, Premium Economy seats were a few hundred cheaper on virgin holidays than virgin atlantic direct for the same time AND we get a car (although that doesn't work out for various reasons)

It's great to stay on site for transport it really is :yes: the bus service is great.

I must say we love the I4. The only thing that gets us is if we dont pay attention, we can be in a lane which takes us off an early exit :lol: but other than that, it's a heck of a lot less scary than the M6 :lol:
  5. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Thanks for all your help so far :) I've already noticed a virgin package that is cheaper with the car :unsure: Very strange but I know of loads of instances in work where things like this happen!

I will keep an eye out on local travel agents. I am either looking at April or May. My actual Birthday is in February (This is a 21st birthday present potentially) but I'll probably be knee deep in my dissertation by then, AND plus I want it to be a reward for uni work, too so I want it to be after that!

I'm hoping to stay onsite ideally! I'm in a dillema as my best friend from Disney and her boyfriend are visiting in May. This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip and they're doing it very much as a luxurious trip as it's been two years in the planning, they have the best dining plan etc etc, where as I'd be doing it very much on a budget. They want me to go at the same time as them, BUT I also have a friend out there who is doing the year long program at EPCOT but she leaves in April. When to go I'm not 100% sure but I feel, I go with the holiday makers and I'll get more stuff done, but if I go when my friend is there who is working, I will get more chance to meet up with my old friends etc. :shrug:
  6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

we've done a bit of each.

Booked a villa direct with the owner then contacted Val who booked us a Virgin flydrive as the cheapest option.
  7. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

i prefer the self plan option i can then pick and choose what we want to do :)