Part 1: A journey of a thousand miles begins with...

Discussion in 'General' started by Beccaberry, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    ...putting down the martini I'm sipping on.

What? Did you expect anything less? ;)

So now that I'm back from my cruise, I have a bit of an announcement to make...

Tink and Wen, put down your wedding hats...it's not that announcement ;)

As many of you know, Baleigh has long wanted to run the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2016 (her senior year of high school). For those unfamiliar, the Glass Slipper Challenge (GSC) is a runDisney event held in February during the Princess Half Marathon Weekend. The GSC is a 19.3-mile run held over two days. Participants run the Disney Enchanted 10K on Saturday, followed by the Disney Princess Half Marathon on Sunday. If you finish both races within the pacing requirements, you are awarded the Glass Slipper Challenge medal in addition to your Half Marathon and 10K finisher medals. I, of course, believe my daughter can do anything she puts her mind to, so I was 100% on board with her plan and had been looking forward to chEARing her on - until she dropped a bit of a bombshell. Yes, she wanted to do it...but it was bigger than that. She wanted me to run with her.

Um. Wait. What?

Yeah...
    See, in her mind it will be the most amazing mother/daughter bonding moment of all time - the perfect crescendo to college and all the great adventures that life holds. In my mind, it will be the stupidest thing I've ever attempted - the culmination of every vodka soaked daydream I've ever had. But...I agreed. I agreed because I've spent 16 years teaching this amazing girl that she can do anything she wants, and now she's asking me to put those lessons into action. So I decided I would set a goal of running the Enchanted 10K (6.2 miles), and in August I started the Jeff Galloway training program.

Let's be clear here. I AM NOT A RUNNER.

But as the months went by, I found that I enjoyed the time I spent running - if not the activity. I enjoyed the peace. I enjoyed the freedom to listen to a new podcast, a favorite album, or nothing at all. I enjoyed the challenge of doing something I never thought I could do. I progressed from being utterly winded after 30 seconds of jogging to sustained runs of 26 minutes. I am a runner.

Granted, I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I am a runner :wink:

One snowy Saturday, I found myself at the gym with the rare luxury of an unscheduled afternoon. I decided to run a 5k (3.1 miles) on the treadmill just to see if I could do it. After 3.5 miles, I felt amazing - so I kept going. That afternoon, I ran 5 miles. It occurred to me that I was only one mile (and change) short of the 10K I had agreed to run in 2016! And I had done it in a pace that was under the required pace set by Disney (they will sweep you if you don't keep pace).

Over the next week, my goal grew. I announced that instead of the Enchanted 10K I would run the Princess Half Marathon (13.1 miles) during our 2016 weekend (I mean, after all, I still had over a year to train, right?!).

Two weeks later, I started reading blogs from runners who had run the 2014 Wine & Dine Half Marathon. This race goes through three parks, including Hollywood Studios, where runners pass through the Osborne Lights - lights dancing and music playing. Then I learned that runners (and guests of runners) are invited to attend an after party in EPCOT until 4am, during which all the F&W kiosks remain open.

Wait. What?

Osborne Lights?? Food & Wine until the wee hours of the morning?? This is a race designed for me!!! So.....I've moved the needle a bit more...and on March 3 (early registration because I have an Annual Pass!) I will be registering to run the Food & Wine Festival Half Marathon on November 7, 2015.

As is the case with most impossible things, it seems that as far as I've come, I still have far to go, and I would love for you to join me on the journey. Think of it as a really long trip report - all the way to the finish line.

Attached Files:

2. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

No hat? But, but, but... I got it out at the title and it's all dusted and ready to goooooooooo! :sigh:

Runnin'. No weddin', just some stinkin' ol' runnin'. :sigh:

3. Beccaberry

Website Manager/IT
    Well, if you would like, you can wear your hat to the race and cheer me on. If I keep running, perhaps I'll end up in the wedding chapel. :wink:

4. Tink

Well... I'll think about it. ;) :D

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I am so proud of you Becca, I wish we were going later now to cheer you on and support you.

Anyway, no hat, well that is just mean, it's been gathering dust for way too long now

6. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wow!
    Would love to join you but it would take longer to get there than to run the 1/2 marathon (only just though).
    Good on you Becca,it's something I've wanted to start doing but keep putting it off.If only I had that incentive!
    I am starting tap dancing lessons tomorrow though...

7. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Unbelievable, good on you, that's wonderful :)

8. mumof2

mumof2 Active Member

:pyramid: Oh my, how amazing!

My imagination sees me as a runner too, my body has other ideas!

9. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Well-Known Member

Sign Language Interpreter
    Keep it up Becca - I admire anyone who can do something like this.

I can't abide running. In fact, I detest it. I might be slim, and moderately healthy, and trained to run as a teenager, but you couldn't pay me enough money to run. Not as an adult, where I actually have a choice. Run, in the rain, in the UK?? I have a car! Durrr!

Unless of course someone is willing to sponsor my flight and accommodation (any Disney resort is fine, I'm not fussy) so I can join Becca on the half marathon. Of course, I'll need a week before and week after to train, get used to the heat and then recover afterwards. Anyone......? No.....?:beg:

Damn. :hissyfit:

Good luck Becca, you'll do brilliantly. Regular updates, if you please. :yes:

And if there's a wedding, I volunteer Jeff to be the flower 'person' - though he'd probably try to upstage you at any given opportunity....

10. uscwest

uscwest Well-Known Member

Good for you Becca. I wish I could have convinced myself to be a runner.

11. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Super cool Becca! I was there once during the marathon and half marathon. You will do great!

12. Beccaberry

Website Manager/IT
    That is AWESOME!!! I've been doing loads of cross-training activities to strengthen my legs and core, and dancing is a HUGE! I can't wait to hear how you like it!

HAHAHA! Absolutely not! As I said, I'm slower than molasses and I've even made Jon promise he won't hang around and watch, too much pressure!! LOL!

Yes well, my body hasn't exactly "gotten on board" with the whole idea just yet either - but I'm determined to convince it!! ;)

Yeah, Jon says I don't actually LIKE running...I just like being alone ;) (Shhhhh, he may occasionally be right.)

You do realize I'm totally taking you up on the offer of Jeff as my flower 'person' right?!? I mean, how could I not??

I'd love to keep everyone updated...the support from everyone here is incredibly motivational, and I'm learning SO much about runDisney! It's almost like learning there's a whole other Disney park I've never been to! It will be great to have somewhere to share everything I'm learning (wait until I tell you about the scary balloon ladies!!!) :thud::hide:

13. Clarkkent

Clarkkent Well-Known Member

Sign Language Interpreter
    It's a deal. I'll tell him he's been volunteered in his absence.

It'll be a Disney wedding, right? At WDW. Need to get those ADR's in ready for before/after ;)

14. Tink

Scary balloon ladies? :eek3:

15. Johnie

Johnie Active Member

Vocational Counselor
    WOW!

Good for you! I shall cheer from the sidelines :)

16. Deb

Deb Active Member

Wow. Just WOW!!! You, my friend, are amazing :hug2: Really happy for you too.

But....scary balloon ladies??!! :eek3: